Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLF forms with multiple roads

Well, Kind of...

Seperate roads are not always a form broken into sections, but a form which uses a similar style as another form.

For example the techniques of Shaolins XiaoHongQuan 1,2,3,4 Da Hong Quan 1,2 All go together very well and form a complete syllabus. As in it is more useful to learn these than to learn say, 1 luohan, 1 jingang, 1 meihua, 1 hong and 1 tongbei. They are a logical progression of techniques.

I would suggest if there are 9 Bagua forms in CLF then they are probably intended to go together well. As in they build on each other.

For example In SOngShan XiaoHongQuan road 2 shows counter techniques if the techniques from road 1 fail. So it is more useful to you to learn XHQ 2 than an entirely different form. Perhaps this is the same for CLFs BaGua Quan? Asi in perhaps the 9 go together very well and compliment each other?

CLF doesn't really work in that manner. As far as the bagua sets as I said earlier each one represents one if the 8 sides of the triagram with the 9 form representing the yin/yang circle in the center or the heart of bagua. I have never heard of the sets being taught or performed in any order as each one is individual.

Not really because all the forms in clf are fairly similar due to the fact they all have the same base concepts the ten elements. Different form doesnt mean different style in clf
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

What I meant by individual was that they are not made to link together but rather stand on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Not really because all the forms in clf are fairly similar due to the fact they all have the same base concepts the ten elements. Different form doesnt mean different style in clf
    Ok I see. I mean, in SongShan of course all the forms are compatable and use the same principles....

I just mean, if they chose to name them with a naming scheme perhaps there is more than the name that is common as this is how it tends to work with northern forms.

Does anyone here know all 9 Bagua forms? Are there videos of all 9 on YouTube? Or wait, is it 10 in total?

I'm finding it difficult to search as there seem to be a lot of different spellings....

You may find a few on YouTube but that's about it. Don't think very many know all 9 except from some directly from the Chan Family line. Most schools have a few but not all. I know only 3.

Clfnole My response was to rendahai. I should have quoted him we just responded at the same time. I understand and agree with what you are saying.

It's all good...I wasn't quite who you were responding to sure since the way I stated all forms are individual could be misunderstood since it was kind of vague.

There are too many forms in clf for you to learn them all well. I think they were designed to teach different energies & each is suited to different body types. So you only concentrate on a few from each level.

any of the more experienced guys correct me if i'm wrong?

I think the hung gar arrow hand? form has 3 sections?

To me there really is no right or wrong answer as to how many forms to know. It can all depend on what your goals are. I was explaining to a student the other day that if you want to pass a style from one generation to the next then you should try to learn all the forms from your respective lineage but if teaching or passing along a style does not interest you, then all you need is a few hand & weapon sets.

Whether or not you can be good at a large number of sets all comes down to how much you practice becuase afterall as SD mentioned earlier all of the forms are based off the seeds so there is a lot of repetition and overlap.

Adding to what CLFnole said it also depends on what you mean by "get good at". Most practitioners have only a few forms that they specialize in but if you are planning to teach or just want to have a more rounded knowledge of the system it is good to be proficient in many forms. While each form has the same conceptual base, each can offer a different perspective on how the concepts can be applied.

Cool thread.

When I trained Tanglang quan (Mantis) as well as some Long Fist when I lived in Taiwan, some sets were named as roads, like 10 Roads Spring Leg (Tan Tui), Er Lu Mai Fu (2nd road 'Ambush'), Si Lu (4th road) Cha Quan, etc., in Long Fist; and Tanglang's Zhai Yao (essentials, or best of) series, of which I only learned the 2nd, as examples. Northern style sets, at least the ones I trained, tend to go in lines right to left, or vice versa, sometimes with other angles or circular footwork thrown in. The Tan Tui was literally 10 lines back and forth. The other sets named as 'roads' were usually following a theme.

Southern style sets operate differently. They often go in cross-patterns front-back-side-to-side, etc. The main CLF lineage of my school's sets usually run straight forward and back, with off-angles included.

For CLF, I do agree that if you're going to teach, you should retain all the material you learned to pass down; if you aren't practicing everything a lot, at least have video access to some of the less-practiced stuff. Depending on the lineage, that's a lot of material.

I've never personally known of any CLF practitioner that practices anything even close hundreds of forms. Even so, since I stopped being a CLF teacher 6 years ago, I've whittled down the material I will practice by a big margin. In our lineage, the biggest amount of material consists of brief 2-person application drills, or sets. But there's a LOT of them. Add to that the individual and 2-person hand and weapon sets, all other drills, etc., in our lineage, and unless you only teach and practice KF all day every day as your profession, it can be a bit much, to say the least. Having too much material to maintain is like constantly owing money and never being paid up.

My own, individual take on it is that, even though CLF sets follow the same principles (even our main lineage, although it does differ from other CLF I've seen), if you aren't planning on being a teacher, it might behoove you to choose which material you like to maintain for yourself. With plenty for variety, but not so much that you're only trying to remember or maintain, rather than improve upon.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Well, Kind of...

Seperate roads are not always a form broken into sections, but a form which uses a similar style as another form.

For example the techniques of Shaolins XiaoHongQuan 1,2,3,4 Da Hong Quan 1,2 All go together very well and form a complete syllabus. As in it is more useful to learn these than to learn say, 1 luohan, 1 jingang, 1 meihua, 1 hong and 1 tongbei. They are a logical progression of techniques.

I would suggest if there are 9 Bagua forms in CLF then they are probably intended to go together well. As in they build on each other.

For example In SOngShan XiaoHongQuan road 2 shows counter techniques if the techniques from road 1 fail. So it is more useful to you to learn XHQ 2 than an entirely different form. Perhaps this is the same for CLFs BaGua Quan? Asi in perhaps the 9 go together very well and compliment each other?
    Depends on how you want to look at it. Fundamentally there are 9 sets because that's what corresponds to the bagua. The bagua forms were essentially the main body of the Chan family's closed door material. Yes they each express different principles, but it's actually pretty difficult to be good at all of them. Physical attributes play a role here. So I know 3 bagua forms, but there's only one that I'm particularly good at, as I'm neither quick enough to do Siu Bot Gwa well nor forceful enough to do Dau Fu Bot Gwa well.
    As for practising them together in sequence, good luck, each form is 150 moves, doing one of them well is a major effort.
    The other names (Sup Ji, Mui Fa etc) typically refer to footwork patterns, not a subset of skills like in longfist.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I've got a question on CLF forms. Since Chan Heung recorded his forms, why do the different lineages have different versions of some major forms?

Is this from different interpretations of poetry? Did the forms just evolve differently over the years or are they completely different forms that were developed or brought into the system by later masters?

For instance I've seen two distinctly different versions of Siu Moi Fa. Are they different forms with the same name or just different versions from different lineages?

Blog Entries
    I've got a question on CLF forms. Since Chan Heung recorded his forms, why do the different lineages have different versions of some major forms?
    it was developed seperately by different people.

Is this from different interpretations of poetry? Did the forms just evolve differently over the years or are they completely different forms that were developed or brought into the system by later masters?
    please. don't try to absorb our treausred CLF into SHAOLIN Do. you don't want to open that can of killer worms. the fighters of CLF couldn't care less about poetry opposed to how good your skills were. poetry has nothing to do with the different branches of CLF.

For instance I've seen two distinctly different versions of Siu Moi Fa. Are they different forms with the same name or just different versions from different lineages?
    because you're shaolin do, i would like to know why you're researching CLF? i can't hold it back, the way shaolin do does stuff is absolutely sickening. please leave our gung fu alone. its not for you.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better