Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Sparring League

That sounds great in theory...

...however the truth of the matter is that we do one local tournament a year and it's not a moneymaker. Quite the opposite really. It's non-contact because when things go contact, we have to deal with insurance, the boxing commission, and in our area, CAMO. There are plenty of other promoters in our area already staging this sort of thing. Heck, Sifu Zhong Luo is holding Dragon House 12 in Oakland this weekend. Frankly, we're publishers, not fight promoters. That's a totally different ballgame.

I don't understand why some of you feel the need to reinvent the wheel. If you want to spar with Kung Fu, there are plenty of venues in which to do so that are already well established. Go represent there.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You don't need 10 years to get ready, but you need to have enough tools in your toolbox to be successful in the long run.

In short turn, you may be able to depend on your pull guard, ground game to win. If you take this path, you will always be weak in striking and throwing.
    I agree. But 1 year is generally enough time to develop enough to begin competing. If you can't fight reasonably well after a year of anything, time to rethink your training methods.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Nah, you don't.

We always make people compete in a couple of BJJ tournaments before they fight MMA just to get used to the speed and "full contact" aspect against someone who doesn't care if they hurt you.

But fighting isn't rocket science. Kick. Punch. Throw. Wrestle. It's not that complicated.

Not everyone SHOULD fight, obviously. But for the ones with the talent and desire, you don't have to spend 10 years prepping.
    Primal / insticntive skills such as a round kick to the thigh, over / under hooks takedown, basic wrestling etc etc; need no practice or training. Might as well lift some weights and become a meathead so you can grab a guy and squeeze tight and lay on the ground together.

On the other hand.... If you want to learn a real MA, then you need years of practice. Specialized drills for your style and resistance training with partners, this take time.

xiao meng: your sparring league has merit but how would you get people together to fight with these rules sets? Are you saying have these rules and use them at your own kwoon or city? How do we unify everyone to use these rule sets? How do you check to see if everyone is following the rule set properly?

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I believe the best order should be that you compete in:

- golden gloves boxng to test your punching skill.
    - kickboxing tournament to test your kicking and punching skill.
    - SC, Judo, wrestling tournament to test your throwing skill.
    - BJJ tournament to test your ground game skill.
    - Sanda/Shanshou tournament to test your kicking, punching, throwing skill.
    - MMA tournamnet ro test everything.

You have to develop your striking skill and grappling skill separately before you can do your integration. To jump right into MMA too soon may not be the proper training order.
    I agree to an extent.
    If you truly want to test and develop your skills then, arguably, the best way is to fight the best in each specialization.
    Your wrestling will be tested in MMA BUT not to the extent that it would be in competitive wrestling, same goes for your striking, grappling, etc.

MMA is the prefect vehicle to "put it all together" BUT the jury is still out (IMO) if it is the perfect venue to DEVELOP those skills.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    MMA is the prefect vehicle to "put it all together" BUT the jury is still out (IMO) if it is the perfect venue to DEVELOP those skills.
    I want to play wide receiver in the NFL. Which path gets me there?

1 year running track to develop speed
    1 year playing baseball to develop hand-eye coordination
    1 year playing soccer to develop footwork and cutting
    1 year playing Rugby to learn to break tackles

or

4 years playing wide receiver on a football team

?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

I want to play wide receiver in the NFL. Which path gets me there?

1 year running track to develop speed
    1 year playing baseball to develop hand-eye coordination
    1 year playing soccer to develop footwork and cutting
    1 year playing Rugby to learn to break tackles

or

4 years playing wide receiver on a football team

?
    Yep BUT NOT playing quaterback or DE or line backer, right?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Primal / insticntive skills such as a round kick to the thigh, over / under hooks takedown, basic wrestling etc etc; need no practice or training. Might as well lift some weights and become a meathead so you can grab a guy and squeeze tight and lay on the ground together.

On the other hand.... If you want to learn a real MA, then you need years of practice. Specialized drills for your style and resistance training with partners, this take time.

xiao meng: your sparring league has merit but how would you get people together to fight with these rules sets? Are you saying have these rules and use them at your own kwoon or city? How do we unify everyone to use these rule sets? How do you check to see if everyone is following the rule set properly?

ginosifu
    So thai boxing, freestyle wrestling, boxing etc are not real MA’s they are just primal stuff easily learned usually by roided up meatheads?
    Are you really going there with this argument?
    As for the rest why reinvent the wheel, seriously why bother?

I think it just get's tiring to constantly have people tell you that sport fighting is the only real deal. It's not.

It really isn't. It is what it is and quite frankly, many people who practice martial arts and don't sport fight can't be bothered with the constant repetition of "kung fu is lame larpers and only mma is the real deal"

That's why people react in that way Frost. In case you were interested.

mma doesn't touch on stick fighting, knife fighting, environmental fighting, multiples, weapons and so on and so forth.

yeah it's fun! yeah it's neat. Yeah you can do that and kung fu too.

It just gets tiring to have guys who are all into that bagging on tcma all the time and quite frankly being broken records and all up in peoples faces when they are told they are roid heads etc which I might add, a lot of people who gravitate towards that sportive combative are.

Not to mention it gets tiring to hear how everyone in mma is cool and has no ego and all that other absolute rot. mma has some of the biggest most egotistical people in it.

I find the opposite to be true of kung fu. I also find it interesting how mma superfans will cherry pick the shaolin dos of the world and then use that as a base to cast aspersion onto all tcma.

I think it is understandable, especially here in a kung fu forum to get sick of that nonsense in the short term.

find a marriage, make it work or get divorced. that is how the real world works. The guy who wants to go on about how great muay thai is or boxing is or wrestling is and never speaks to kung fu and how it can be used in that context is the same guy that probably doesn't know when he's in a relationship he should be out of.

the very fact that you are trying to put words into Gino's statement and start an argument over it or position yourself as the superior opinion is just another demonstration of that in my opinion.

In other words, Gino is entitled to his incredulous sense here while you would be if it was a wrestling forum. But it's not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Firstly Im sure I addressed gino and not you but hey thanks for answering with your usual insightful comments!

Secondly I never mentioned sports fighting (the whole thread was about sports fighting you might notice this if you read it) I said are these arts not real martial arts is that what you are really saying? a question not an insult as Gino and I have often talked about differing view points without insulting each otherwe don’t need you to jump in and moderate just yet

Thirdly you have little to know idea about MMA, grappling or the people it attracts so how about this, I wont comment on anything I don’t know about and you try to do the same

Oh and finally whilst its nice for you to follow me around (it makes me feel special) if you read my other posts rather than just jumping on the grappling ones you will also see I talk about the TCMA styles I also do

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Firstly Im sure I addressed gino and not you but hey thanks for answering with your usual insightful comments!

Secondly I never mentioned sports fighting (the whole thread was about sports fighting you might notice this if you read it) I said are these arts not real martial arts is that what you are really saying? a question not an insult as Gino and I have often talked about differing view points without insulting each otherwe don’t need you to jump in and moderate just yet

Thirdly you have little to know idea about MMA, grappling or the people it attracts so how about this, I wont comment on anything I don’t know about and you try to do the same

Oh and finally whilst its nice for you to follow me around (it makes me feel special) if you read my other posts rather than just jumping on the grappling ones you will also see I talk about the TCMA styles I also do
    Frost - This is an open forum. I'm not following you around and as for what I know or don't know, what the hell do you know? lol

You take a defensive position when I speak to what you posted. That's fine, I don't have any issue with that. You then take an attitude.

Really, why are you here if all you have is innuendo, insults and belligerence towards others. Especially respected sifu in the kung fu community. You are dismissive and belittling.

It's not acceptable and I will speak to it and if you don't like it, please feel free to leave or I could help you with that.

Have a nice day.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Frost - This is an open forum. I'm not following you around and as for what I know or don't know, what the hell do you know? lol

You take a defensive position when I speak to what you posted. That's fine, I don't have any issue with that. You then take an attitude.

Really, why are you here if all you have is innuendo, insults and belligerence towards others. Especially respected sifu in the kung fu community. You are dismissive and belittling.

It's not acceptable and I will speak to it and if you don't like it, please feel free to leave or I could help you with that.

Have a nice day.
    and here we go with the usual jamison insults and threats

As for belittling Gino im sure he doesn't feel i did that but hey unlike you im not a mind reader so will wait for his reply

Ps putting have a nice day at the end of an insult and a threat doesn't mean much

LOL at DJ getting butt hurt about people discussing combat sports in a thread about combat sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and here we go with the usual jamison insults and threats

As for belittling Gino im sure he doesn't feel i did that but hey unlike you im not a mind reader so will wait for his reply

Ps putting have a nice day at the end of an insult and a threat doesn't mean much
    Dude, what is your problem?
    lol, what a child you are.
    chest pounding because you need to feel better after someone addresses you being an ass?
    whatever, I'm not threatening you, I am outright stating it.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 11-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL at DJ getting butt hurt about people discussing combat sports in a thread about combat sports.
    wtf are you talking about.

That's not what I was addressing at all.
    don't get all stinky.

butt hurt? lol oh jeez I didn't realize I was playing call of duty on my xbox here.

grow up mk and try to remember you're in a kung fu forum.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol it wasnt just me then who spotted that