Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Sparring League

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    grow up mk and try to remember you're in a kung fu forum.
    My kung fu is more relavent than 90% of anyone else's here because it's not on a shelf collecting dust.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

FYI, astro glide does not come out of Hamster fur.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    FYI, astro glide does not come out of Hamster fur.
    TMI, bro....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

lol dude you're good. fast enough it doesnt even say edited by rofl
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    My kung fu is more relavent than 90% of anyone else's here because it's not on a shelf collecting dust.
    You are making an assumption. It's probably wrong. But the fact of the matter is your experience is only your own and you might have others with whom you share it, but it is not better, superior of a higher quality or value and it doesn't put you in a position to make statements like "90% of people here" etc.

And another thing, please stop altering people's posts MK, it was funny at first, but we can't do that as mods. It's not cool of us. It's wrong.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 11-09-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And another thing, please stop altering people's posts MK, it was funny at first, but we can't do that as mods. It's not cool of us. It's wrong.
    A. Lucas is cool with it.
    B. Mind your own backyard.

to be fair i did ask for it.

A. Lucas is cool with it.
    B. Mind your own backyard.
    This is my backyard dude.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is my backyard dude.
    Not exclusively. Stop acting like it is.

do you guys care if i take a dump in your backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    do you guys care if i take a dump in your backyard?
    Not me. DJ will probably get butt hurt if the pattern of the poop doesn't meet his narrow notion of how poop piles should accent the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    So thai boxing, freestyle wrestling, boxing etc are not real MA’s they are just primal stuff easily learned usually by roided up meatheads?
    Are you really going there with this argument?
    As for the rest why reinvent the wheel, seriously why bother?
    Everyone has an opinion about MA and how they should work etc. Opinions are like as$holes.... everyone's got 1 and they all small bad. Sorry DJ, I was not offended by Frost's post. Frost and I differ on opinion but he keeps to the subject and does not troll on us TCMA's like some other peeps I will not mention.

Frost: Legitamate art forms Thai boxing, wrestling are good MA. It is not the art form I am talking about, it is mainly the fighters themselves. A lot of people fighting in today's combat sports look like they are not learning a legitamate fighting style or art form (this is just my opinion). More like they have grosely traded power lifting and getting into shape, for Martial Arts skill.

Lets agree that anyone that spends time with resistant opponents (bjj, mma, sc, judo etc etc) will be better in MA than a person who does not have any resistance training.

However, just because someone rolls around (whether it be bjj or mma etc) does mean they are learning a legitamate MA. It just means that they are good rolling around and not neccessarily good at other aspects of Martial Arts training.

I can take any big thug with no real MA training and throw him in the ring with the same size person with mma or bjj skill and he will do fine. Not because the bjj guy sucked but, because general mma or bjj is something you can just do! Anyone can jump in the ring and hold there own. Not because the other guy is bad at mma but because mma and bjj are primal / instictive skills that we all have inside us.

did that explain it a bit for ya Frost? just my opinion.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Lets agree that anyone that spends time with resistant opponents (bjj, mma, sc, judo etc etc) will be better in MA than a person who does not have any resistance training.

However, just because someone rolls around (whether it be bjj or mma etc) does mean they are learning a legitamate MA. It just means that they are good rolling around and not neccessarily good at other aspects of Martial Arts training.

I can take any big thug with no real MA training and throw him in the ring with the same size person with mma or bjj skill and he will do fine. Not because the bjj guy sucked but, because general mma or bjj is something you can just do! Anyone can jump in the ring and hold there own. Not because the other guy is bad at mma but because mma and bjj are primal / instictive skills that we all have inside us.

did that explain it a bit for ya Frost? just my opinion.

ginosifu
    Ginosifu,

This last paragraph is not true, and in fact is easily disproven. Take your average good street fighter, put them up against a well trained sport fighter and in that 1 on 1 the sport fighter is generally going to dominate in most aspects of the fight. Fighting trained fighters is a whole different world from fighting those that have not been trained (proper distance and keeping your hands up are two things that make a huge difference all by themselves).

Kimbo Slice was an example of this, a guy that was strong, had fought a lot on the street (presumably) and yet had a hard time at the lower levels of the sport fighting world. BJJ takes something that most certainly is not natural for most humans (moving on the ground) and makes an art form out of it, in fact the art itself was based largely in part on the concept of taking a person on in a range or way that took them out of their element. I think it was Maeda that really fleshed out this concept.

I train Pak Mei and Hung Gar, both Chinese martial arts, but I have also fought quite a bit competitively full contact and I find value in both.
    -Golden Arms-

grappling is indeed an instinctual aspect of fighting for humans. however submission grappling arts take that instinct to a completely different level. most of the escapes, counters and submissions you learn in a grappling art need to be learned, refined and then ingrained through practice and repetition against resistance under various circumstances, so that the effeciency and reflex become natural.

a good example is look at pretty much anyone learning how to 'shrimp' for the first time. its ugly.

Not me. DJ will probably get butt hurt if the pattern of the poop doesn't meet his narrow notion of how poop piles should accent the landscape.
    and then he will delete my post where i agree with you as he has done twice so far lol