Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Kung Fu Sparring League

Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You have a particular way of resorting to the hypothetical.
    I don't deal with those syn7.

Nor do I make suppositions about "people" too much in regards to what we think or feel. We don't do that collectively and each and everyone of us is somewhat different from the next.

There are plenty of rural folk who can do all the things you are saying "people" don't do. They do this. People live off the land in many places. People who live in the city can't be expected to live off the land, it is counter intuitive and not available to them.

I think if we all sat down and gave it some thought we could find a skill we have that is useful and relevant.
    I was born and raised in the third largest city in this nation. I am no country boy. I learned all these things in the city and surrounding districts. Anybody can learn almost anything if they have the desire and the capacity. I don't think everyone should learn to trap. But I do feel that most people refine their skill sets with very little foresight into the reality of what could be. They tend to develop their sets based on what they want rather than what they need. Not enough diversification. Too focused on money. I don't disagree with trade, I just think we went the wrong way with it.

I brought up the hypothetical to show how it is not black and white. There are very few universal rules when dealing with social behaviour. And many of the jobs people do to get by are harming us all. We have a long way to go. I'm sure you can agree with that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    They tend to develop their sets based on what they want rather than what they need.
    It's very unlikely that the person you have to fight next time in the street who happens to train the same style as you do.

The reason that we train TCMA is to solve problems. We don't know whether our problem will come from boxer, MT guy, wrestler, BJJ guy, ... We don't have luxury to choice that.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's very unlikely that the person you have to fight next time in the street who happens to train the same style as you do.

The reason that we train TCMA is to solve problems. We don't know whether our problem will come from boxer, MT guy, wrestler, BJJ guy, ... We don't have luxury to choice that.
    lol, that quote wasn't about martial skill sets. But it could be. I like where you took that. And it speaks directly to the point I was making to David. You don't know what life will throw at you. If you spend all your time mastering computer science then an Em pulse wipes out everything, now how useful are you? That's when knowing simple things about living naturally come in very handy.

Another analogy would be when somebody puts years of training into learning a field of study that becomes obsolete right when they are trying to enter the work force. You know everything about something nobody cares about or will want to use because there are better options. Diversification is key. You don't have to be a jack of all, master of none. But you should spread out as much as you can while maintaining a realistic quality of life. Balance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    If you spend all your time mastering computer science
    Many years ago all computer science major had to learn:

- programming language,
    - computer architecture,
    - automata theory,
    - numerical analysis,
    - data base,
    - operation system.

Today the computer science market are for:

- website design,
    - search engine,
    - antivirus,
    - application server,

It's much easier to teach Taiji in Chen village. It's much harder to do so outside of China.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-15-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Yeah, even when designing electronics, I have software that makes it much easier to design a circuit than using a breadboard and a calculator.