Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue for Human head

Analogue for Human head

Hey Team;

Ever noticed how you can punch a heavy bag much harder when your wrists are wrapped and your hands gloved?

This disturbs me sometimes, because were I to punch the same power without the gloves and wraps against a human skull, my hands would not last long.

I want to construct a good analogue of the human head that I can punch to gauge how much power I should be using and improve the angle of my punches...

I figure a good place to start is a 5Kg Bowling ball with a rubber mat wrapped over it.

4.5-5Kg is about the Mass of the human head.... a Bowling ball is about the right size and shape (curved surface is important).

But what about hardness... I can't really get my head around it.

Anyone understand how hardness works?

ANyone else have a good analogue?

Gene, could Tiger claw make a punchable head? Like a head with a skull that you can put your hand inside and hold up like a punching pad for your opponent to punch, but as hard and heavy as a real face?

I think at least a head shaped punching pad would be a great idea.....
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-11-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Ever see what a hand looks like after the mend (back of hand, fanned out) from straight punch breakage. Breaking a hand while in combat mode is not a pretty picture. Best reason I use hammer-fist only.

If your hands hurt while making fists, why not just slap using open hand. It reduces the risk of injury.

ginosifu

I think this is why the willow leaf palm is so prevalent in Songshan, much less chance of breakage.

Just use the heads of your enemies! Cut em off and go nuts.

Maybe you can cut a melon in half, hollow out the inner area and slip a bowling ball in that. Keep in mind that a bowling ball is not a very good representation of a human skull, it's WAY off. If you really wanna keep it real and keep it cheap, get pig heads or something. Maybe a melon outside of really dense paper mache?

There are hi tech solutions that are rather costly. But I'm sure with a lil thought you can come up with many cheap alternatives that are close enough.

You can buy mock heads online. The stuff you see on deadliest warrior. Not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Ever see what a hand looks like after the mend (back of hand, fanned out) from straight punch breakage. Breaking a hand while in combat mode is not a pretty picture. Best reason I use hammer-fist only.
    You don't find that too limiting?

Makes me think of Mark Coleman GnP when his hands were busted up. Funny to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Just use the heads of your enemies! Cut em off and go nuts.

That's kind of messed up Syn...you need to give them a warrior's burial. After your done posting them on a stake to warn others, of course.

Maybe next time I'm in Thailand I'll use some monkey heads, seems more civilized.

Fukc it, they step up, they can rot. Tie it to a rope and hit it until it smells too bad or falls off on it's own.

In all honesty, I really couldn't care less about what happens to my body once I'm done with it. As long as I'm not taking up valuable space in some cemetery, I don't really care. I'll prolly donate my body to science.

Hey guys,

I do prefer the palm, I do.... And your right Kellen, Song Shan does favour the willow leaf. But I could use that on it too. I do remember one time though, in the heat of the moment, where I literally couldn't unclench my fists. Its strange I know. Must be a psychological thing. The hammers are a great idea palmstriker, SongShan likes them too.

@Syn, I realise the shape is off..... But it is at least curved and your hand slips off it in kind of the way it slips off a face. Not perfect but its fairly cheap..... Besides, most of the enemies heads I have have gone rotten.... smells out the gym.

I like the idea of the melon but its a bit messy.
    Super dense paper Mache eh? I'll check it out.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.

The shape isn't the issue, it's the density. Round is fine. Maybe a square with well rounded edges would be more appropriate, so you can simulate a jawline. Hang it from a corner rather than from the center of one side. Maybe simulate some of the sharper edges along the lower half of the skull. Just a thought.

stop punching the hardest part of the human body with your hands, look to hit the softer areas, the back of the jaw, nose, philitrum , side of the neck etc etc, never ever punch the skull your hands will always loose
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Super dense paper Mache eh? I'll check it out.
    Yeah but you still need a skull like object to wrap in the paper mache. Something that can cave in, but not easily. Maybe some wood? I can think of lots of expensive answers, but cheap is the goal, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah but you still need a skull like object to wrap in the paper mache. Something that can cave in, but not easily. Maybe some wood? I can think of lots of expensive answers, but cheap is the goal, yes?
    I could do expensive if it will last.....

Thing is I don't quite get the science here...

I mean, if it is the same size and weight, it is the same average density right? But to make it realistic it needs the same coefficient of restitution (I think?) or something like that. I don't know if anyone knows what that is for a head......

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    stop punching the hardest part of the human body with your hands, look to hit the softer areas, the back of the jaw, nose, philitrum , side of the neck etc etc, never ever punch the skull your hands will always loose
    Definately. I agree.

But I still want to practice hitting the hard bits. I mean, I could use my palms, and hammers, and elbows on it too.

The reason is is that when I strike the pads I hit way harder than I actually would hit a head. So If id do this routinely I am wasting power and making the movements too big and committed. If I am comfortable with the hardest I could hit the skull with the various weapons I can gauge a lot of things better.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Yeah, but you know that it doesn't always work out that way. How many times have you deflected a strike from a vital point to a stronger area when you can't clear all together? It would be nice if I always hit my target in heated combat, but my experience has shown me that this isn't always the case.

One time I deflected a shot at my jawline and tucked my chin and the deflection put his fist right into the top of my forehead. It wasn't the plan, but it happened. The guy broke his hand and it gave me a huge advantage.