Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue for Human head

Just cover a bowling ball in something thin and soft, like a straw mat or a few towels or something.

I think a more important question is where can you find a fist analogue to train your head against?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I hit the HB as hard barehanded as I do with gloves.
    I hit the head as hard with a fist as I do with open hand.
    Always have I guess.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Those of you that are saying punching a head is like literally punching a bowling ball...well I will just say I don't agree.

It all depends on where you hit, the angles and sizes of those involved, and if they are aware of the punch/prepared to take it.

Gear up if you prefer and spar and actually hit people in the head from time to time. Start hitting hanging bags, and if you are doing a striking art worth its salt you will have some sort of regimen that involves conditioning the striking surfaces for use. Either way when the adrenaline is on you wont feel much anyway. I recall before one fight having some messed up knuckles and not having been able to form a fist for the prior couple weeks. The moment that fight started, my hand formed a fist with no problem and in fact hurt less after the fight than it had the weeks prior.
    -Golden Arms-

Confession time

I broke my hand on a human skull. It was elementary school. This other kid was ****ing me off. I sucker punched him and knocked him out. It was a wild punch because I was mad and it caught him right on the ear and temple. When he came to, he blinked a little and then starting crying. I'll never forget that.

But I got a hairline fracture on my thumb for it, not to mention a visit to the Principal's office. It sucked having to go to school the next day with my thumb in a splint.

But it was a sweet KO.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The issue is NOT the hardness of the human head, it is hitting a moving target.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't think the human body is very well built for fighting without weapons anyway.

Even the very strongest and most skilled empty hand fighter is weak in comparison to most other mammals. H2H skills have little use outside of using them on each other.

But give us a weapon and we are indeed the worlds deadliest predator.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't think the human body is very well built for fighting without weapons anyway.

Even the very strongest and most skilled empty hand fighter is weak in comparison to most other mammals. H2H skills have little use outside of using them on each other.

Exactly... The weapon we have evolved is our brain. You don't try to be equal in a fight, you try to win. What's the best way to win? Superior weapons and superior strategy with those weapons.

Yea, I kind of agree w/s_r on this...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You need to be able to hit the head first before you start worrying about breaking your thumb on a hard skull. Of course, if you throw a good sucker punch, that head won't be moving. It'll just be standing there, ready to be knocked down like a bowling pin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    find one of those hollow plastic halloween skulls and fill it with sand paint the outside with rubber cement and duct tape that beotch up with square sponges under the tape where the cheeks are
    mount the false head on a stick so someone can bob and weave it around as a moving target

a lot of times we are aiming with uppercuts, straights and crosses (imo some of the best strikes if you are aiming for the head, a hook is great but also the most dangerous in terms of hand injury when aiming at a head with no gloves on). hooks become much more applicable against the head when you are wearing gloves, or you have set the hook up. the jaw and nose are great targets, imo when talking about reality self defense/attack. the jaw is not nearly so dangerous to hit as the actual skull itself as it has give within its own framework. a good shot on the nose can give an advantage. I dont think its totally realistic to just get used to punching the skull...unless your ultimate intention is to punch the skull. good to be able to deal with it when it happens. but better to be able to hit that moving target in a more vulnerable location. jaw, nose, neck. jab, straight, uppercut, cross, hook.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

We're long distance runners. That is why we are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    We're long distance runners. That is why we are still alive.
    Well that is one attribute we have going for us. Don't be too quick to discount:
    • functional in various climates and regions
    • able to fashion weapons and traps
    • able to start and use fire
    • able to use and consciously switch between strategies
    • able to run our bodies off of more than one type of diet (omnivores)
    • etc.

Humans have a lot of potential in more than just survival and destruction as well if we choose to embrace it.
    -Golden Arms-

ronnie coleman has the strength of 10 bulls

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

While bawang has the 'bull' of ten men.... BAZINGA!

Yes, yes that is pertinent to MA, a keen observation.

I mean, we could probably reduce every argument on MA ever to 'the important thing is to be able to hit something that is hard to hit' That pretty much covers the essence of what we do all the time. But sometimes some aspects are better refined by taking them out of sparring and working on them individually.

It is necessary to know how hard to punch and calibrate it. Any man can throw his hand hard enough to break it. I need to measure the force.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-14-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Ever see what a hand looks like after the mend (back of hand, fanned out) from straight punch breakage.
    Maybe I can find it on youtube. If you find it first please post the link.