Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many blocks in a typical wing chun class?

How many blocks in a typical wing chun class?

How many blocks are executed in a typical wing chun class? I'll be starting Wing Chun soon & I wanted to know just how many blocks do you guys do in a typical Wing Chun class. I'm wondering if it's between something like 500-1,000 blocks or is it even more?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jfjkd01 View Post
    How many blocks are executed in a typical wing chun class? I'll be starting Wing Chun soon & I wanted to know just how many blocks do you guys do in a typical Wing Chun class. I'm wondering if it's between something like 500-1,000 blocks or is it even more?
    Generally its 8 blocks all together, but I use strikes as well for blocking and while using the concept of ‘Da’., so it could be a lot more then the numbers you just presented.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Hello. It's cool to hear your interest in Wing Chun and welcome to the forum!

To put it simply, there are no blocks in wing chun, so the answer would be zero. Anyone who would say otherwise has a very low level understanding of wing chun.

Wing chun uses things like structure, leverage, facing, gate theory, touch sentitivity (energy control), etc to redirect incoming attacks using as little motion and force as possible with the end goal aimed towards maximum efficiency. The term 'block' IMO implies force on force hard type of defense matching technique vs. technique which is not wing chun's goal.

If I had to count typical techniques used to redirect and protect your space (be it tan sau, bong sau, pak sau, laan sau, etc), depening on the focus for any given class, a single technique could be drilled 100-1000 times or more to get the understanding of the proper facing, structure etc and their usage. The actual count could vary greatly depending on how many people you are parntered with, what you're working on, how many reps you are doing, class intensity, etc. But, wing chun is more about understanding the overall principles and concepts of the system (centerline theory, gate theory, leverage points, overall body mechanics etc) vs. just drilling techniques or combinations. You'll understand this more once you've been there for a few weeks or months

Anyway, good luck in your training and hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 12-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Question Wow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    To put it simply, there are no blocks in wing chun, so the answer would be zero.

Wow!!! I learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    protect your space (be it tan sau, bong sau, pak sau, laan sau, etc)
    Why use the word ‘Sao’ if there’s no such thing as blocks in wing chun?
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Why use the word ‘Sao’ if there’s no such thing as blocks in wing chun?
    Ali,

Is Sau the same as Block?? I was under the impression that Sau referred to arm, not block. For example when you use Taun Sau it can be translated as Palm Up Arm or Dispersing Arm. Sorry, I do not speak Chinese but my point is that I do not recall it ever being referred to as any type of "block"

I am afraid I would need to dissagree with you and agree with JPinAZ in stating there are few if any "blocks" per se in Wing Chun. There are parries and redirections but to my thinking a block is something entirely different than done as the norm in Wing Chun.

Having said that I would be hesitant to state an absolute so it is possible that some of use do perform "blocks" but it certainly is not the norm for the system.

Again, it may just be dependent on ones level of skill.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Talking I like it a lot

You have a real good point there Mr. Mod, it refers to the concept of ‘energy’ and in translation to forward vector force = blocks.

But you just gave me something to think about as well.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Ali,

Is Sau the same as Block?? I was under the impression that Sau referred to arm, not block. For example when you use Taun Sau it can be translated as Palm Up Arm or Dispersing Arm. Sorry, I do not speak Chinese but my point is that I do not recall it ever being referred to as any type of "block"

I am afraid I would need to dissagree with you and agree with JPinAZ in stating there are few if any "blocks" per se in Wing Chun. There are parries and redirections but to my thinking a block is something entirely different than done as the norm in Wing Chun.

Having said that I would be hesitant to state an absolute so it is possible that some of use do perform "blocks" but it certainly is not the norm for the system.

Sau means 'hand' and literally refers to hand and arm position. Not that is said position. Fook sau for example is a monitoring hand which can transition into other deflecting shapes but it does not deflect.

Now if the OP's question is about the number of hand shapes in wing chun, or the number used in a class the answer is many. In fact when you combine all of the more subtle movements and variations on hand position and so on the answer is very, very many. Between my sihing and I there have been points whe we have been going so rapidly that between the two of us we probably used upward of 30 movements in a span of about two seconds.

Now if you mean the number of times each is practiced it depends upon the moves. More basic moves like pak sau and lap sau for instance will be practiced more often than more advanced moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Ali,

Good post!
    Something else worth mentioning, the idea of Loiu Lou Hoi Sung is key to answering why Wing Chun doesn't 'block'.

But did Ali really ask a question implying that 'sao' = 'block'?!?!?! Good lord...
    (I ask because I have Ali on Ignore - it's a LOT more peaceful that way, and I don't have to read all the racist remarks - I only see his silly comments when quoted and assume that question was in a reply to me).
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 12-12-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

What school or lineage are you joining, easier to answer you then...

Beginners level: block then attack
    Medium level: simutaneous deflect and attack
    Top level: attack

You try to hit me? I hit back.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Good distinctions on levels of development.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    What school or lineage are you joining, easier to answer you then...
    I have two Wing Chun schools within driving distance. One school is a William Cheung lineage, and the other is a second generation student of Wing Chun's Yip Man under Master Ho Leung. I haven't decide which school to go to yet.

In our school, there are three major techniques that we practice. I don't want to say they're blocks because if you understand Wing Chun principles, there are no blocks. They are deflections or redirections. The three major techniques are Pak Da, Tan Da, and Lap Da. There are others but they are more or less variations of these. Wing Chun is a very simple art without tons of techniques. That's simple, not easy! It takes years to truly be able to master and you'll find that you're working on the same things 5 years later that you were working on in the first month.

I'm sure it's just me misreading your post, but I teach all my students to simultaneously attack and defend from day one. As for simply attacking being a higher level of skill than simultaneous attack and defence I would again disagree, simply standing toe to toe and slugging it out is attack only and is one of the lowest levels of skill.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I'm sure it's just me misreading your post, but I teach all my students to simultaneously attack and defend from day one. As for simply attacking being a higher level of skill than simultaneous attack and defence I would again disagree, simply standing toe to toe and slugging it out is attack only and is one of the lowest levels of skill.
    Maybe he meant to say preemptive strike, or beat your opponent to the punch.