Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    I love your confidence and the way you express yourself, like you actually know what Bruce Lee was about and how good he was, LMAO..

Like I said, funny

J
    That's my point though. I don't, you don't, and the only way we would is if he had actually fought people who were any good. Hence his skills are in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    That's my point though. I don't, you don't, and the only way we would is if he had actually fought people who were any good. Hence his skills are in doubt.
    The Doubt you write about above, is only YOUR doubt.

I don't have that Doubt, so it eases your Doubt, in the cosmic world it's even

J

The Doubt you write about above, is only YOUR doubt.

I don't have that Doubt, so it eases your Doubt, in the cosmic world it's even

J
    You're brining in the same argument religious folks bring about god. I'm not saying god doesn't exist and I'm not saying Bruce may not have had good skills but the burden of proof is on the person making the claim and since it's not possible to prove a negative in either case the burden of proof is on those saying Bruce had the skills. Since Bruce never fought and the claim is not verifiable or falsifiable his skills are in doubt to anyone who understands burden of proof and the scientific method.

You're brining in the same argument religious folks bring about god. I'm not saying god doesn't exist and I'm not saying Bruce may not have had good skills but the burden of proof is on the person making the claim and since it's not possible to prove a negative in either case the burden of proof is on those saying Bruce had the skills. Since Bruce never fought and the claim is not verifiable or falsifiable his skills are in doubt to anyone who understands burden of proof and the scientific method.
    Yes but we're talking subjective here, Bruce is not a scientific experiement, too many variables to disect.

I'm not saying he was the best or anything like that, or that he could compete with the top pro boxers of that time, the way he was then. But he could compete if he had wanted to, that is the thing, did he?

Was he an effective fighter in the sense of defending himself, yes for sure. Could he beat everyone, no, but no fighter can.

J

Bruce Lee did not fight to any recorded degree. However, he undoubtably had great attributes for a fighter, as well as skills demonstrations that only an accomplished martial artist could achieve. This is not arguable as the evidence is present for all to see.

Now could he apply those skill sets and those attributes in a match against a trained fighter? Who knows? One thing that is also in evidence is his devotion to martial arts, and the intention of his studies to create a more competent, effecient, and powerful fighter.

We will never know how well he would have fared against trained fighters.

This argument is rediculous.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yes but we're talking subjective here, Bruce is not a scientific experiement, too many variables to disect.
    Exactly... Lots of variables. But the burden of proof is still on those making the affirmative claim. You cannot say anything about his fighting skills being good because he didn't fight anyone of repute.

I'm not saying he was the best or anything like that,
    Pound for pound Bruce was up there..end of story.

or that he could compete with the top pro boxers of that time, the way he was then. But he could compete if he had wanted to, that is the thing, did he?
    and I could if I want to. Have I? No. Your argument is ridiculous. There is no proof for Bruce's fighting ability. End of story.

Was he an effective fighter in the sense of defending himself, yes for sure. Could he beat everyone, no, but no fighter can.
    And the captain obvious award goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Bruce Lee did not fight to any recorded degree. However, he undoubtably had great attributes for a fighter, as well as skills demonstrations that only an accomplished martial artist could achieve. This is not arguable as the evidence is present for all to see.

Now could he apply those skill sets and those attributes in a match against a trained fighter? Who knows? One thing that is also in evidence is his devotion to martial arts, and the intention of his studies to create a more competent, effecient, and powerful fighter.

We will never know how well he would have fared against trained fighters.

This argument is rediculous.
    So there are reasonable and intelligent people here!

So there are reasonable and intelligent people here!
    Don't look at me!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Didn't he fight in amateur boxing tournaments in Hong Kong in the fifties?

Apparently, BL sparred against and dominated Louis Delgado, one of the top karate competition fighters of the 1960s era, and who had beaten Chuck Norris in competition; and who had fought against Joe lewis and many of the other top fighters of his time. Supposedly, Delgado had stated that BL was the toughest fighter he ever met.

I'm not one who worships BL, but I think it's safe to say that, although he wasn't a pro fighter or even a competition fighter outside of some experiences in his earlier years, he could certainly fight.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-14-2012 at 11:29 PM.

I think this article sheds a little more light on his fighting ability from credible fighters. For me this man had a deep understanding of Martial combat application. Every hundred years a human being of this caliber comes along to inspire us all !

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/jfjkd/Wpt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    I think this article sheds a little more light on his fighting ability from credible fighters. For me this man had a deep understanding of Martial combat application. Every hundred years a human being of this caliber comes along to inspire us all !

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/jfjkd/Wpt.htm
    I think we have enough for a few centuries with Anderson Silva and Randy Couture.

Fedor!!!! :d