Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Exactly... Lots of variables. But the burden of proof is still on those making the affirmative claim. You cannot say anything about his fighting skills being good because he didn't fight anyone of repute.

and I could if I want to. Have I? No. Your argument is ridiculous. There is no proof for Bruce's fighting ability. End of story.

And the captain obvious award goes to...
    There is no "Burden" of proof, lol, I have no need to prove how good Bruce was to anyone, just having a discussion, the evidence is clear by itself

J

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    There is no "Burden" of proof, lol, I have no need to prove how good Bruce was to anyone, just having a discussion, the evidence is clear by itself

J
    Hello,

While Bruce may not have fought anyone, the fact is that several of those who trained with him went on to compete and do well;
    Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris for example.

Also, several of the early students were street fighters like James Demille and Jesse Glover. I would venture to say that if he had no real skills these types of people would most likely have gone elsewhere.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

We here will never know for ourselves how good he was, he's dead. It's just funny how so sure some ppl are, they, based on not enough evidence (you can't see it when he moves???), they "think" (I've thought lots of things only to later on think something different, how reliable is thought??) he wasn't good or a proven fighter.

Like others have said, ppl will see what they want to see, problem with that is that it isn't reality. Is it better to live in fanatasy or reality?? You decide.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    While Bruce may not have fought anyone, the fact is that several of those who trained with him went on to compete and do well;
    Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris for example.
    His peers attested to his fighting skills, including the above two men. And Lewis and Norris were winning bing on the karate tournament and kickboxing tournaments of their time, so their endorsement carries weight.

But yes, Bruce was primarily an actor, and not a tournament champion or kickboxing pro with a record.

This vid is awesome.

Bruce Lee Nunchaku Ping Pong
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This is by far the funniest thread I've read in a good while.

Bruce Lee was a trouble maker as a teen in HK. He liked to fight. As soon as he learned something, he would try it out. He was in many street fights growing up. He got in lots of trouble in HK because of it. Some would say it was the reason why he had to leave HK in the first place.

To say Bruce Lee was just an actor that couldn't really fight or wasn't a good fighter is just stupid. This guy was no punk. He was intelligent, had a great kung fu instructor, was in excellent shape, had excellent coordination (HK cha cha champion), had streetfighting experience, had nuts and a huge ego. What else would you need? A gold medal and a trophy?

I don't have a Bruce Lee shrine in my house anywhere, but the man gets nothing but respect from me. And if you think you're better than him - you need to wake up.
    Last edited by mun hung; 12-04-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Add
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    So there are reasonable and intelligent people here!
    Yes, but you are not among them. You seem to be on an anti-Bruce crusade.

Get a hobby or a pet or a girlfriend or something.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Daron Cruickshank mma fighter , after winning ufc 151 bout, shows his mouth-guard to the camera with a figure on it of BL and shouts BRUCE LEE !!

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    To say Bruce Lee was just an actor that couldn't really fight or wasn't a good fighter is just stupid. This guy was no punk. He was intelligent, had a great kung fu instructor, was in excellent shape, had excellent coordination (HK cha cha champion), had streetfighting experience, had nuts and a huge ego. What else would you need? A gold medal and a trophy?
    The point made by some to keep the Bruce nuthugging in check is that he did not have a fight record. Others of his contemporaries did have a fight record. Some made a living from fighting. So if you really want to get technical about it, what was he? A great fighter that had no official fights? That's a little oxymoronic.

There are elements about taking a fight that put together conditioning, coordination, and experience in a way that you don't have without doing that.

So there are a number of question marks left in history when people start to claim he was a great fighter. He was an actor, and its highly likely that the contracts he signed as an actor would have prevented him from taking full contact fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    A great fighter that had no official fights? That's a little oxymoronic.
    How so?

Suggesting you can't be a great fighter, or even a fighter at all, without official fights is just moronic.

Maybe you need official fights to be a sport fighting athlete, but to be a fighter you just have to fight, not join a sports club and compete.

Since when did being a fighter become synonymous with being a sport fighting athlete, as opposed to say.... someone who fights?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    How so?

Suggesting you can't be a great fighter, or even a fighter at all, without official fights is just moronic.

Maybe you need official fights to be a sport fighting athlete, but to be a fighter you just have to fight, not join a sports club and compete.

Since when did being a fighter become synonymous with being a sport fighting athlete, as opposed to say.... someone who fights?
    Exactly.... Thank you!
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    How so?

Ok, so lets say he is a good fighter, what do you hope to garnish from this to improve you, as a martial artist/fighter?

Im sure he trained very hard, had considerable talent and was somewhat revolutionary for his time......... but isnt it time WC people looked forward rather than back?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Ok, so lets say he is a good fighter, what do you hope to garnish from this to improve you, as a martial artist/fighter?

Im sure he trained very hard, had considerable talent and was somewhat revolutionary for his time......... but isnt it time WC people looked forward rather than back?
    He inspired millions of us by his 'portrayal' of martial arts on the big screen. Its condescending to say WC peeps alone should look forwards...its todays mma champions bringing him up in the clip posted, hello !

Woohhoohooo!!! whataaaa !! ....body falls...., worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    He inspired millions of us by his 'portrayal' of martial arts on the big screen. Its condescending to say WC peeps alone should look forwards...its todays mma champions bringing him up in the clip posted, hello !

Gee, sorry for referring to people on a WC forum as WC people.........

I never said he didn't inspire anyone, especially WC people, im just saying that an almost religious view of him can make someone lose their objectivity in regards to combat training.

But i dont want to rain on anyone's parade, so adulate away

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post

Gee, sorry for referring to people on a WC forum as WC people.........

I never said he didn't inspire anyone, especially WC people, im just saying that an almost religious view of him can make someone lose their objectivity in regards to combat training.

But i dont want to rain on anyone's parade, so adulate away