Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bruce Lee

Is Donny Yen a Fighter? does he really practice martial arts? Is Jet Li a fighter? These men are alive...But at the end of the day they are movie stars and we are not...Simply put it this way. if Bruce Lee was a fighter today...an alive...guranteed he wouldnt be going into the octagon or MMA ring...Hell have any renown martial arts actors done MMA? or Cage fighting like Wesley Snipes, Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris!!!

Its a Mute argument at the end of the day....Pure fantasy FU...

Basically its akin to fantasy football!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Actually, Chuck Norris won a lot of compititions before he went into acting - It's what got him into acting.

And it's 'moot' point. You've been getting that wrong all day too

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=moot%20point
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 12-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

"Simply put it this way. if Bruce Lee was a fighter today...an alive...guranteed he wouldnt be going into the octagon or MMA ring...Hell have any renown martial arts actors done MMA?"

Guaranteed? So you speak for a dead man?

I asked Jesse once what he thinks about all of these people who post comments and even write articles in the magazines about "What would Bruce be doing if he were still alive?". He rolled his eyes and said "Who the hell knows!?"

Last I checked..Bruce is going to dead for a long, long time

"Hell have any renown martial arts actors done MMA?"

So there we have it folks..MMA is THE standard of if someone is a figher or not in their eyes.
    Last edited by LaterthanNever; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Its a Mute argument
    Would have been much better if the whole thread was mute, but I think you meant a MOOT argument.

Actually, Chuck Norris won a lot of competitions before he went into acting - It's what got him into acting.
    Yup.

Simply put it this way. if Bruce Lee was a fighter today...an alive...guranteed he wouldnt be going into the octagon or MMA ring
    If he were alive he would have been pushing 70, you idiot. Of course he wouldn't be ring fighting.

Richard Norton is an 8th dan in Zen Do Kai, 5th Dan in Goju and a 4th degree BJJ black belt and continues to be a highly skilled practicing martial artist:

"Norton is in constant demand for seminars all over the world, covering such topics as street defense, martial arts weapons drills, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and mixed martial arts. His 15 years experience as a Personal Body Guard for some of Rock and Roll's greats finds Richard in particular demand for teaching the realities of real life street defense, focusing on aspects such as adrenal dump, stress control and pre-emptive strikes.

In Sept 2007, Norton released a two-disc DVD set on Black Belt Digital Video called 'Black Belt training Complexes'. The DVDs show Norton executing some very fast and accurate examples of his skill, and some additional seminar footage is also included. The 3 plus hours of training drills and information focus on the development of explosive speed, power and continuity of movement, with in depth explanation of the various principles one needs to understand to develop incredible speed, regardless of their particular style or discipline."

Go to a seminar and check him out. For a sixty year old, he is amazingly good and amazingly fast. And has practical knowledge and experience that outstrips everyone on this forum several dozen times.

Remember most of these guys were well past their fighting prime when MMA came on the scene. Also, if they're making a good living from movies, they aren't going to jump in the ring to settle arguments between internet LARPers like yourself and Bacon.

"Hell have any renown martial arts actors done MMA?"
    Randy Couture has made around ten films including the Expendables 1 & 2.

Maybe do a little research (or even try thinking) before you post next time.
    Last edited by anerlich; 12-20-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Randy Couture has made around ten films including the Expendables 1 & 2"

That does it!! Call the cops!! Report him! He's practicing as a fighter without "scientific evidence"! There must be empirical evidence which after careful scientific calculation by an independent non biased council of scientists, determines he is a "fighter"(There must be at least 30% of the board of this council to be professionals from the NIST(national institute for standards and technology).

Better yet, write a letter to Mr. Coture and call him out and tell him he is now effectively stripped of his "fighter" title since he appeared in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

Randy Couture has made around ten films including the Expendables 1 & 2.

Maybe do a little research (or even try thinking) before you post next time.
    I would think Cung Le would be an obvious addition to the list of MMA fighters/actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I would think Cung Le would be an obvious addition to the list of MMA fighters/actors.
    Agree 100%.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

UFC 155 Wineland v Pickett , Joe Rogan praising Wineland for throwing , I quote " Wing chun /Bruce lee type punches" to dominate and win the fight. Wineland had an upright chin up VT like stance using movement and angling to evade Pickett, unlike a boxer style (pickett).
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Anybody seen this interview excerpt from Bob Wall, post# 126? Check out the part where World Champions were mentioned losing to Bruce Lee. See all the names, interesting. This must be an interview done long time ago when Bob was just spilling the beans and didn't care for the implications this could cause.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f44/br...5/index13.html

Interviewer: We know Bruce was an excellent screen fighter, but he could REALLY fight?

Bob Wall: "Let's get something straight, Bruce Lee was the real deal. I know alot of people think he was only good on the screen but they are wrong. Dead wrong! Many people have already had found out the hard way just how wrong they were!"

Interviewer: How did he train to be such a competent fighter?

Bob Wall: "You have got to remember where Bruce came from. He fought constantly as a teenager in Hong Kong. He used to be in a gang, so he was quite used to fighting. I remember talking to his family when we were filming Enter the Dragon in Hong Kong, and they said Bruce would sometimes come home all bloody, and they thought he was going to die, only to find out the blood came from the guy he had just beat up! Oh, Bruce lost his share of fights too, and this is one reason he became so intent on taking up a martial art. Because if you can't fight well, it could get you killed. One day he wondered what would happen if he was caught without his gang, and his parents took him to Yip Man, a well known Wing Chun instructor in Hong Kong. A few years later, Bruce's parents were being contacted by the Hong Kong police so often for fighting, they said if he gets caught one more time, he's going to jail.
    This caused his parents to send him to America and start a new life here.
    Moving ahead many years later, Bruce came up with the idea to spar full contact making the training as real as possible.
    He fought with anyone that was willing. I've fought with Bruce myself a number of times, and had witnessed or had heard of many sparring sessions not just with other martial artists, but with champion Karate fighters, such as Louis Delgado, Skipper Mullins, Jim Kelly, Pat Burleson, Chuck Norris, Allen Steen and a few others. You have got to understand where these guys had come from in terms of practical self defense. While some came from the streets as Mullins and Steen had, most of these guys were used to fighting within the confines of a ring, so what Bruce was doing was a real wake up call for them."

Interviewer: What do you mean wake up call?

Bob Wall: "Well, it's like this...all great fighters have the same make-up in terms of intensity, commitment, will, drive and of course talent. Now, you have to remember that the type of fighting most Karate champions were used to, had rules and restrictions. It was SUPPOSED to be no contact to light contact, but people were always getting hurt, some quite badly, so they were used to contact. And even though many of these guys were really tough, I mean REALLY tough, and could take it as well as dish it out, they weren't prepared for Bruce.
    Just the look on their faces was a sight to behold when Bruce would just move in and shut them down. They were used to trading punches and kicks with other fast and powerful opponents, and scoring on them frequently. You know, more evenly matched. I know it was hard for me to deal with the frustration when sparring with Bruce, and I know it was exceptionally hard for alot of them.
    Especially since Bruce never fought professionally."

Interviewer: It must have been embarrassing for some of these guys.

Bob Wall: "Think about it this way...many of these guys were WORLD CHAMPIONS. They had faced and defeated the best in the business accross the globe. They are proud fighters. Who wouldn't be humiliated losing to a guy who has not fought professionally, and has no rank or certification to boot? It is my opinion that losing to Bruce in some ways was more devastating than losing a title fight. At least in a title fight, you know your opponent worked his butt off to get there, and it took a great deal of time. Many years of hard work, and paying your dues. Then you fight this little 140 pound guy and he just cleans your clock."

Interviewer: Can you really call them fights? I mean, sparring isn't really fighting is it?

Wall: "YOU tell these guys they weren't real fights. It was **** brutal!
    In fact, most of these guys have never taken that kind of punishment before, but they sure learned the difference between what they were used to, and what they were learning from Bruce!

Interviewer: Were there any rules, or did you really try and hurt each other?

Bob Wall: "Well, we certainly didn't want to see anyone get hurt, that's just an inevitability sometimes. And no, the only rule was no following through with joint locks. If we did follow through, reconstructive surgery would be needed.

Interviewer So Bruce fought with grapplers too?

Bob Wall: "Bruce fought with EVERYBODY! Anyone who wanted to spar was welcome. We had people from every type of combat imaginable from punchers and kickers, to wrestlers, boxers, and everyone in between. Bruce loved to train, and we loved to train too. The list of people who worked with Bruce at one point in his life or another, reads like a who's who in the martial arts community.
    I want you to understand that it wasn't like Bruce came in and kicked everyone's butt, and was all high and mighty. It's just that Bruce could pick things up very quickly, and adapt what he learned into his personal way of fighting almost immediately. Now, don't get me wrong, Bruce was learning right along with the rest of us, and I'm sure he would be the first to admit that.
    He once told me that if you ever think you've learned everything, your dead in the water. It just seemed to us that Bruce was alot ****her down the path to self mastery than any of the other people in the martial arts at that time.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Kenobi; 01-02-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added excerpt of article

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    UFC 155 Wineland v Pickett , Joe Rogan praising Wineland for throwing , I quote " Wing chun /Bruce lee type punches" to dominate and win the fight. Wineland had an upright chin up VT like stance using movement and angling to evade Pickett, unlike a boxer style (pickett).
    I still don't like Rogan....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    and has never set foot in a wing chun school, and dropped picket twice with overhand rights coming over the top on his left hook, not exactly a wing chun technique lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I still don't like Rogan....
    You don't like high pitched yelling, from a guy who looks like he may explode any second ? ; )