Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mantis wooden dummy?

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    We use our dummy primarily as a means of conditioning.
    While some WC will argue with this, I agree that the main purpose of beating a piece of wood should be that, conditioning.
    Honestly anything other than that is best done with a partner.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by mantiskickboxer View Post
    ^ It's funny how stupid people think that stupid questions don't exist
    It's funny how people think by not questioning anything means they'll get anywhere. Good luck with that!

I don't give a flying **** about you asking stupid questions, you must be very slow if all you can ask are stupid questions. When I train with people, I ask about things that I need clarification on because I'm in a bind about what I am working on, or I need help on my positioning.

Again, good luck on getting far without questioning anything! *******!

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    It's funny how people think by not questioning anything means they'll get anywhere. Good luck with that!

I don't give a flying **** about you asking stupid questions, you must be very slow if all you can ask are stupid questions. When I train with people, I ask about things that I need clarification on because I'm in a bind about what I am working on, or I need help on my positioning.

Again, good luck on getting far without questioning anything! *******!
    Nobody here said anything about not questioning anything.

Only in the mind of a simpleton can such an assumption be made.

And try to mind your temper, when you swear on an internet forum it makes you look like trailer park trash.
    So I'm unlucky today.. two will die for the price of one!

Mantiskickboxer & Fa Xing,
    Take your rude comments to private messages! We don't tolerate this behavior in the Praying Mantis forum like they do the other forums.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Mantiskickboxer & Fa Xing,
    Take your rude comments to private messages! We don't tolerate this behavior in the Praying Mantis forum like they do the other forums.
    My apologies mooyingmantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    My apologies mooyingmantis.
    Thank you, but none needed. We just work very hard to keep this forum drama free and open to all opinions.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

We just work very hard to keep this forum drama free and open to all opinions.
    It is the classiest forum on the site, I'll give you that...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    While some WC will argue with this, I agree that the main purpose of beating a piece of wood should be that, conditioning.
    sometimes I think the Chinese went out of their way to invent new ways to avoid actually hitting and being hit by a partner in training.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sometimes I think the Chinese went out of their way to invent new ways to avoid actually hitting and being hit by a partner in training.....
    Nah.
    That TCMA is full of stories of hard training ( stories of teachers that hurt their students for example) and challenge matches shows that, at least int he past, fighting was important.
    Training dummies were NOT a substitute for fighting, they were conditioning devices.

Nah.
    That TCMA is full of stories of hard training ( stories of teachers that hurt their students for example) and challenge matches shows that, at least int he past, fighting was important.
    Training dummies were NOT a substitute for fighting, they were conditioning devices.
    tell that to the wing chun crowd lol,
    I know what you mean but the number of clubs where people spend the majority of class timw doing line drills, forms, stance training and dummy work are legion...where as the number who spend the majority of class hitting each other (not just application work but free sparring) .....well those places are hard to find...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    tell that to the wing chun crowd lol,
    I know what you mean but the number of clubs where people spend the majority of class timw doing line drills, forms, stance training and dummy work are legion...where as the number who spend the majority of class hitting each other (not just application work but free sparring) .....well those places are hard to find...
    The point of the WD is so that when you can't train with a partner, you can at least develop the attributes you need to fight.
    In the case of the WD:
    Structure
    Conditioning
    Contact
    and so forth.

It doesn't hit you back you you can't work on evasion and defense.

Like a punching bag, it is "beating up on an opponent that is covering up" at best.

You can make it more alive by NOT following a set sequence and by "fighting" it as you would a real opponent ( intent wise) BUT in the grande scheme of things it is and always has been a conditioning tool.

Blog Entries
    We use our dummy primarily as a means of conditioning.
    I'll use a dummy for "reference". In another thread, I mentioned to draw a line on the ground as the reference point of my opponent's feet position. The dummy's arms and leg are much better reference point than just a line on the ground.

In the following clip, you can even use a belt as "reference" for your opponent's leg. The nice thing about this is you can train on your belt 24/7.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzUxOTYwMDY4.html
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument