Thread: Elbow injury

Elbow injury

Hurt my elbow today while training. I was aggressively attacking the pad, and the guy holding it kept backing up. Long story short, I extended WAY too much trying to stay engaged with the target. Any idea how to fix an over extended elbow?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    it's in the strain/sprain category. not much you can do but rest it.

if it hurts to move it, don't for a while. but, start moving it after a week to get rom back.

possibly the RICE formula if there is swelling/inflamation. but, ice is being debated now and I sort of agree. (not that i have any education to back up my opinion)

stuff that aids soft tissue repair/recovery might help: glucosomine/chondroiten (sp?). Vit C boost for a while?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

RICE it and then 48 hours after you should begin back working gently on the range of motion again. Then once it seems fairly well healed (time will vary) begin slowly back to stretching and strengthening.

The most important thing is once it is healed enough to train again, you need to take measures to prevent it happening again. Just think, what would have happened if you had been in a fight against someone intent upon harming you? One arm hurting will impede your fighting ability.
    Just a suggestion. Try training to not fully extend your arms in a punch. You can keep a little natural bend in the arm, which will tend to prevent over extension. You can withdraw it faster too. The weakest arm is one fully extended. And fully extending it in a hard strike that misses can leave you in harms way. When an opponent is moving away, this is where good footwork comes into play. It can keep you within range.
    One of the main things I feel in training to fight is to train in a way in which you will not injure yourself. Any time you suffer self injury while training, you are doing something wrong. It is like a hand grenade sort of. It will not only kill your enemy, but it will kill you too if you don't do it right.
    Jackie Lee

His cowardice was unexpected, and my fury would not release me. But yeah, I should've been able to prevent this.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Hyperextension injury many things it could be, Bicep strain Brachialis strain , Radial head lig tear or displacement " most likely, Prevents full AROM of the Elbow , a Good therapist can Mob the Radial head or Chiro can too It will shorten out time. wear a brace or support to punch , dont punch hard heavy bag for 2 weeks after this KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    His cowardice was unexpected, and my fury would not release me. But yeah, I should've been able to prevent this.
    As you probably know, a coward is a dangerous animal. Except for when he has an opponent with a disabled arm.
    I once had a guy kick at my groin, and just by the chance I moved just in time. He over extended his knee and you should have seen the way he was writhing about and screaming. I never had to touch him.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    As you probably know, a coward is a dangerous animal. Except for when he has an opponent with a disabled arm.
    I once had a guy kick at my groin, and just by the chance I moved just in time. He over extended his knee and you should have seen the way he was writhing about and screaming. I never had to touch him.
    Yeah, but he was just holding the pad, not sparring with me.

Unexpected.

At any rate, I just switched over to straight cardio and ruck marches for a couple of days... I feel much better.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

I hurt my elbow a couple days ago, I was hitting various poles and a thick tree, out where I live, conditioning, and hit my bony elbow.

I was relatively fine until that point.

It had that kind of hard sting, but not like the shock type.

It seems to be alright now though.