Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fighting is Easy"

My Judo Coach suggested we go to local high schools and do demos for their wrestling teams in an attempt to get new students (off season training since Judo and wrestling are similar). I looked at him and said that if my buddy Dave and I do this, our game has to be top notch because only a big lion can walk into another's den. He said we'll be there to demo, I said I guarantee that we'll get challenged.
    ----
    My buddy went to Brazil w/ his girlfriend (she's Brazilian) and she took him to a local BJJ gym down there. He's a Blue Belt here. Luckily he remembered some advice I gave to him a long time ago - I said you don't have to win, just don't get beat. Every white-blue- and purple in that place wanted a piece of him. They were all animals (in a good spirited way) and all were better than he's faced here. He fought to survive, not once did he get submitted but he never submitted anyone either - yet he EARNED their respect and the coach invited him to come back whenever he can and he has many new friends.
    ----
    I spent about an hour last night working praying mantis self defense that I KNOW WORKS (because I've invested the time in it and have taken hard knocks) with guys at the local MMA gym. These are tough guys, wrestlers, BJJers, and Boxers. I've earned their respect because I only use kung fu that works or at least has the potential to work. I may not win because most of these guys are younger, and stronger, and in some cases - more hardened than me. But I have their respect.
    ----
    You cannot earn respect doing flowery kung fu, relying on mysticism, doing forms, talking hours about theory, trying to use unproven techniques, using stupid chin na - we all know this. But we also can't assume Fighting is Easy - because it's not. Using technique against a resisting opponent is difficult, but you have to be able to do it. You don't have to win, you just have to be able to demonstrate it on someone who's not your student, in a spontaneous instance.

I want to make sure that you understand that I'm not a tough guy or streetfighter or anything like that - I just want to make sure that I can make the sh*t work so I don't end up being like that Ki master who got beyotch smacked by that newbie MMAer on that news video that circulated a few years ago.

But I also believe that should be the goal of all TCMA or MA practitioners. The sh*t should work within reason... and I don't think TCMAers are always serious enough or focused enough to guarantee that what they're learning works for them on someone that they don't know... if for the off chance that someone walks into your kwoon and wants to test ya.

That's why I say having a "fighting is easy" mentality will get you a good arse kicking. Fighting's hard, yet it's the most basic core fundamental reason for MA - the premise that fighting is hard. Take the time to try and master it in a real way and be serious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    My Judo Coach suggested we go to local high schools and do demos for their wrestling teams in an attempt to get new students (off season training since Judo and wrestling are similar). I looked at him and said that if my buddy Dave and I do this, our game has to be top notch because only a big lion can walk into another's den. He said we'll be there to demo, I said I guarantee that we'll get challenged.
    ----
    My buddy went to Brazil w/ his girlfriend (she's Brazilian) and she took him to a local BJJ gym down there. He's a Blue Belt here. Luckily he remembered some advice I gave to him a long time ago - I said you don't have to win, just don't get beat. Every white-blue- and purple in that place wanted a piece of him. They were all animals (in a good spirited way) and all were better than he's faced here. He fought to survive, not once did he get submitted but he never submitted anyone either - yet he EARNED their respect and the coach invited him to come back whenever he can and he has many new friends.
    ----
    I spent about an hour last night working praying mantis self defense that I KNOW WORKS (because I've invested the time in it and have taken hard knocks) with guys at the local MMA gym. These are tough guys, wrestlers, BJJers, and Boxers. I've earned their respect because I only use kung fu that works or at least has the potential to work. I may not win because most of these guys are younger, and stronger, and in some cases - more hardened than me. But I have their respect.
    That's not fighting. It's competing.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Semantics *****es, that's all.

We compete now because dueling and challenges are against the law.
    People dueled because they had no wars to fight in at the time.
    People went to war because fighting was in their blood.
    Since the dawn of time, man has fought and because fighting isn't as easy as brawling, systematized styles of fighting came to be.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Semantics *****es, that's all.

We compete now because dueling and challenges are against the law.
    People dueled because they had no wars to fight in at the time.
    People went to war because fighting was in their blood.
    Since the dawn of time, man has fought and because fighting isn't as easy as brawling, systematized styles of fighting came to be.
    There's a difference between this

and this

on very many important levels.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Neither is competition and only one was fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And lemme tell ya, almost all of them involve combatants with no skill whatsoever. That's one of the fundamental issues I've always had with the ol' "won't work on the street" argument. You'd be amazed what kind of stupid crap works on the street because many street brawlers can't even throw a basic combo. We, as martial artists, tend to look at combat from a more critical, tactical perspective. We imagine the worse-case scenario - facing a trained fighter.

I've spent many years in DengFeng and enjoy exploring the seedy side of town. Everyone there is trained as you well know. You would be surprised at the street brawls there.... Its just as stupid. Its no different. As soon as it really kicks off it doesn't look skilled. Just a brawl. I think people forget their training and their instinct takes over. I think MA technique only becomes important if someone can keep control of their mind and emotion first.

With combat of any kind, I think the winner is the one who chooses the rules.

Neither is competition and only one was fighting.
    I couldn't find a tournament GIF under 3 MB. But you certainly know what I'm talking about.

Atheletes competing against one another at a high level, with great intensity, is one thing.

Fighting is something else entirely, and requires very little actual skill.

Think you need to train 4 hours a day to be a "fighter"? Then check out World Star Hip Hop sometime.

Why do something if it has no demonstrable value?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Why do something if it has no demonstrable value?
    Beauty is it's own excuse for being, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I couldn't find a tournament GIF under 3 MB. But you certainly know what I'm talking about.

Atheletes competing against one another at a high level, with great intensity, is one thing.

Fighting is something else entirely, and requires very little actual skill.

Think you need to train 4 hours a day to be a "fighter"? Then check out World Star Hip Hop sometime.
    Ah, I see.
    Yes, in terms of degree of difficulty I would say:
    Brawling-Fighting-Competiton

In the old days:
    Brawling-fighting-duelling/challenge match

Ah, I see.
    Yes, in terms of degree of difficulty I would say:
    Brawling-Fighting-Competiton

In the old days:
    Brawling-fighting-duelling/challenge match
    First nuts. Second strength. Third skill.

It ain't rocket science.

Blog Entries
    Good discussion subject. Just hope it won't soon turn into "TCMA is more than just fighting" argument.

For those who said that fighting is easy, I would suggest the following test.

- Get 10 training partners.
    - Try 10 rounds sparring/wrestling on each opponent.
    - Try to only use your single best move (Whether that will be hip throw, single leg, foot sweep, hook punch, side kick, ...).
    - Record your result (either take down or knock down).

10 guys x 10 rounds = 100 rounds. Among your 100 rounds, if your best move can score

- above 50%, you are average.
    - above 75%, you are good.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Beauty is it's own excuse for being, my friend.
    If that really is the case -

Then I strongly suggest the non-martial practice of Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Good discussion subject. Just hope it won't soon turn into "TCMA is more than just fighting" argument.
    Hey guys,

I'm gonna spare you the whole 'TCMA is more than fighting' argument because I know I do that too much.

But it really seems to me some of you really want MA to be all about Competition. But to be honest, in my experience a real fight is rarely a competition, its a foregone conclusion. All of us love a close match. Thats what competition is all about. But with real combat no-one wants to gamble their lives on a close match.

So often MA is all about changing the rules of the game so it is not a fair match, so there is no competition. They win before they even think about actually fighting. And that is what separates MA and competition.

And its not about 'too deadly for the ring' techniques... Its something else, attitude and strategy and psychology and experience and intent and many other things. But it can't be summed up by high percentage moves.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.