Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 K1 Belts

3 K1 Belts

Hi Guys

I even forgot to say. My student and training partner Peter Irving has won 3 professional K1 Belts this year. Using lots of the Chu Sau Lei Chinese Boxing skills we train.

best Alan

The self appointed pundits here can argue about chi sao, but not results.

Congratulations.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The self appointed pundits here can argue about chi sao, but not results.

Congratulations.

Very true lol

Thanks

Congrats to him on his win!

On Andrew's post though, what does a K1 belt mean? I do think that this is a good question. Is it an automatic guarantee of top-notch Ving Tsun? I personally think that the answer is no - it is more of a testament to Peter's training regimen, applied technique, and various skills and attributes compared to those of the given individuals he fought against. The technique could have been whatever method as long as it was paired with the right attributes (good old distance, timing, footwork, etc.). That's the reason why there are so many boxing methods that can produce good results (Western, Thai, etc.). Whether he used good Ving Tsun is in these days in the eye of the beholder. I tend to look at whether the strategies that Ving Tsun pursues are being followed, as well as at the body mechanics and attributes used to make these happen. The wins are huge (congrats again) but they are not the whole story when it comes to Ving Tsun.
    Last edited by Buddha_Fist; 11-16-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    Dio perdona... Io no!

I tend to look at whether the strategies that Ving Tsun pursues are being followed, as well as at the body mechanics and attributes used to make these happen.
    Not sure what your point is, or why you feel a need to qualify your praise for this achievement.

If the guy won using "bad" Wing Chun (which I doubt), he's better than the guy that used "good Wing Chun principles" but lost.

If he had lost, his Wing Chun would have sucked more than whatever the other guy did. EOS.

Surely no one is going to demand to see a vid before they agree that what he did was sufficiently adherent to WC principles to be regarded as worthy of unqualified praise?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Congrats to him on his win!

On Andrew's post though, what does a K1 belt mean? I do think that this is a good question. Is it an automatic guarantee of top-notch Ving Tsun? I personally think that the answer is no - it is more of a testament to Peter's training regimen, applied technique, and various skills and attributes compared to those of the given individuals he fought against. The technique could have been whatever method as long as it was paired with the right attributes (good old distance, timing, footwork, etc.). That's the reason why there are so many boxing methods that can produce good results (Western, Thai, etc.). Whether he used good Ving Tsun is in these days in the eye of the beholder. I tend to look at whether the strategies that Ving Tsun pursues are being followed, as well as at the body mechanics and attributes used to make these happen. The wins are huge (congrats again) but they are not the whole story when it comes to Ving Tsun.
    Congrats on the win....But ... haha this is all to funny. It we win a lot... which we do.. then it's not our wing chun or it does not proved it's our wing chun Really?

Yes it was a lot to do with Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun - as that's what we train and that's what we applied. It is quite simple. Distance, timing, and so on are what makes our system what it is. A lot of poor wing chun has bad timing and bad distance control - that's some will work and some will not. The way you prove your style is to test it. That's what we have done 100's of times now. So we do know the differences. thanks you

Not sure what your point is, or why you feel a need to qualify your praise for this achievement.

If the guy won using "bad" Wing Chun (which I doubt), he's better than the guy that used "good Wing Chun principles" but lost.

If he had lost, his Wing Chun would have sucked more than whatever the other guy did. EOS.

Surely no one is going to demand to see a vid before they agree that what he did was sufficiently adherent to WC principles to be regarded as worthy of unqualified praise?
    Yes its crazy right - they say it it works it can't be wing chun lol so wing chun is only wing chun if it's not working under pressure. I think horse and dead come to mind lol

This is one of Pete's K1 fights -

For the guys that think wing chun training is wing chun fighting it will mean nothing. But ifor the guys that understand wing chun combat they will see elbow power, good balance in close and relaxed short range skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_3t-o-ikg

No need to qualify the congrats... pigment of your imagination... He won - so good for him!

The point was rather simple. Though obviously not to you, judging by your post...
    Dio perdona... Io no!

good for him
    Congrats on the results

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    good for him
    Congrats on the results
    Thanks I will pass it on to Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Hi Guys

I even forgot to say. My student and training partner Peter Irving has won 3 professional K1 Belts this year. Using lots of the Chu Sau Lei Chinese Boxing skills we train.

best Alan
    Where is the Like button??

Congrats!! K1 isn't pony league!
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Having seen how Alan's guys train their WC I can say that they fight like they train !
    Congrats Alan, keep up the good work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The point was rather simple. Though obviously not to you, judging by your post.
    Your points appear to be missed on this thread and the other about the chi sao comp. Sucks to be you, I guess.

It's not the reader, but the poster, who is at fault here.

Your points appear to be missed on this thread and the other about the chi sao comp. Sucks to be you, I guess.

It's not the reader, but the poster, who is at fault here.
    I disagree, the point has been made by many (often) but still missed, even here, trying to be the smart a#rse wont change that.

Quote Originally Posted by desertwingchun2 View Post
    Where is the Like button??

Congrats!! K1 isn't pony league!
    Many thanks. Yes K1 is very tough.