Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 K1 Belts

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    That's fascinating, but my point is that you keep posting clips of Phil Bayer doing what is pretty much competitive chi sao with students as evidence of fighting competence, but then say Alan is clueless for arranging to do the same thing in a public situation.

Perhaps you have posted different clips since, but after about 100 of the first, competitive chi sao, I stopped bothering with your clips, seen one seen 'em all.

Except when it comes to posting vids, apparently.

you're more interesting when you lurk, Graham.
    Frankly I dont think you understand the concept of the drills ....no surprise, its a mystery to many and will stay that way with your outlook...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Frankly I dont think you understand the concept of the drills ....no surprise, its a mystery to many and will stay that way with your outlook...
    You think other wing chun branches don't understand drills? That is rich. lol Drills are basic. You drill an armbar in BJJ, then you try to do on someone that is not just standing still. That is where you learn the concept. The drill was the principle not the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Correction!

Alan's guys fight in competitions, they train to fight in competitions. They participate in competitions. You may argue that its more than a lot of people do on here (including me) but in my experience it doesn't really mean much in the real world. I have seen "trained" fighters get an ass whooping in a street fight.
    Your perspective is very narrow. That you have seen trained fighters get "whooped" in a street fight doesn't mean that they're not competent fighters in the street. It means that street fights have an element of unpredictability.

But what you're saying is that you've seen trained fighters lose to nobodies, so their preparedness for street fights must be crap?

There are so many variables to consider in situations like that. I would suggest you rethink your stance.

Because I honestly believe if you re-evaluate your experiences where you saw "trained fighters get whooped", you would realize that it can and does happen to the best of fighters, street or competition.

Doesn't mean competition fighters are less prepared for the street. It just means that like all of us, they're human beings who cannot react perfectly 100% of the time.

Anyways, Congrats Alan! It is no small feat to win any competition, let alone something with the prestige of K1. Awesome job.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 11-26-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Your perspective is very narrow. That you have seen trained fighters get "whooped" in a street fight doesn't mean that they're not competent fighters in the street. It means that street fights have an element of unpredictability.

But what you're saying is that you've seen trained fighters lose to nobodies, so their preparedness for street fights must be crap?

There are so many variables to consider in situations like that. I would suggest you rethink your stance.

Because I honestly believe if you re-evaluate your experiences where you saw "trained fighters get whooped", you would realize that it can and does happen to the best of fighters, street or competition.

Doesn't mean competition fighters are less prepared for the street. It just means that like all of us, they're human beings who cannot react perfectly 100% of the time.

Anyways, Congrats Alan! It is no small feat to win any competition, let alone something with the prestige of K1. Awesome job.
    Nice to read your post, as least I know some people are on the same page. I am sure more are with us on that. But on forums we often more of the crazies posting that the normal guys lol. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    You think other wing chun branches don't understand drills? That is rich. lol Drills are basic.
    Agreed. I think Kev is pretty much in Troll mode for the past few years. no point talking to him anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    You drill an armbar in BJJ, then you try to do on someone that is not just standing still. That is where you learn the concept. The drill was the principle not the concept.
    Actually, by reading this, I would say you are not clear on what concept/princple means. In your example, drilling an arm bar is drilling a technique only. In this case it is neither concept or principle - it's just technique

It's only when you focus on and understand how/when you apply it and what theory is behind how you get there that allows you to understand and drill the concepts based upon given principles - and you can focus on these at the both the drilling level and in sparring.
    Or you can just drill/spar techniques alone without any concept/principle.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Agreed. I think Kev is pretty much in Troll mode for the past few years. no point talking to him anymore

Actually, by reading this, I would say you are not clear on what concept/princple means. In your example, drilling an arm bar is drilling a technique only. In this case it is neither concept or principle - it's just technique

It's only when you focus on and understand how/when you apply it and what theory is behind how you get there that allows you to understand and drill the concepts based upon given principles - and you can focus on these at the both the drilling level and in sparring.
    Or you can just drill/spar techniques alone without any concept/principle.
    My bad, yes agree, was being lazy or bored.

application = armbar
    Principle = Position, angle, base etc
    Concept = principles in place - how depending on timing, feedback, and so on.

Cool

Frankly I dont think you understand the concept of the drills
    Frankly I don't GAF about your opinions about my opinions.

What I DEFINITELY don't understand is why you post with huge fanfare and enormous volume video "evidence" of your teachers' prowess (his trouncing students in chi sao duels), and then in the same breath saying chi sao comps are crap.

I make no judgement of Bayer's skills, which may well be excellent. He might even win Alan's chi sao comp if he entered.

I just continue to wonder at the deep contradictions between what you say and the vids you post.
    Last edited by anerlich; 11-27-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What I DEFINITELY don't understand is why you post with huge fanfare and enormous volume video "evidence" of your teachers' prowess (his trouncing students in chi sao duels), and then in the same breath saying chi sao comps are crap.

I make no judgement of Bayer's skills, which may well be excellent. He might even win Alan's chi sao comp if he entered.

I just continue to wonder at the deep contradictions between what you say and the vids you post.
    Keep wondering , you're not getting any help from me to change that.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 11-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Keep wondering , you're not getting any help from me to change that.
    You're not helping me (not wanted, thanks anyway) or your own credibility.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Great post. I also don't understand why Kev and Graham go on and on about chi sao when the clips they show are just demo of chi sao and chain punching. Also all this talk of WSL old days of fighting and testing etc. Well is that not an example of developing his skill and testing it himself.

You're not helping me (not wanted, thanks anyway) or your own credibility.
    ............whatever.

Alan,

Just wanted to say that he looked great.

Even to the untrained(wing chun) eye he seems to be attacking the center FROM his center more than most fighters. Just an observation.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Alan,

Just wanted to say that he looked great.

Even to the untrained(wing chun) eye he seems to be attacking the center FROM his center more than most fighters. Just an observation.
    Thanks James. It is very refreshing to hear others getting the point and being able to see the skill. Excellent.

K-1 is quite respectable. Good fight. Congrats to your guy.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*