Thread: Question on "Family" Styles

Question on "Family" Styles

What constitutes a family style, from say, a more general style?

I'm assuming that a family style is just a modified version on a larger style that is passed on in that family.

So did people master numerous systems to create their own? Or use principles and techniques from one system to alter another?

It seems that if someone specializes in say, Bak Sil Lum, but changes some things while passing it on, that it would still be Bak Sil Lum, only played differently than some.

At what point does something become a "family" style?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

a family style is when your family is famous for something in your area.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I would say that the "family" designation is only a name. It does not mean that anything new has to be added or omitted from an existing system. All systems change from one generation to the next. If the training system is passed down to two or more generations within the same family it can be thought of as a houshold ga/jia system.

A reason for not observing the jia status is to honor the greater lineage. Often the lineage holders see their heritage as being as valuable as the functional skills within a system. You can argue that skill shoud be more important but you can't really argue with cultural values.

And some so-called ga systems are not really family styles at all, e.g. Hung Ga and Fut Ga.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

I figure it's like a family recipe, except kung fu.

A version of something. You have chocolate chip cookies, and each family may make them a little bit differently.

"Family style" isn't inherently good or bad.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.