Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All you need is one simple technique

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    Cloud hands vs. anything.
    will not work on straight up boxer.
    try and see for yourself.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think the constant adding of techniques is a cyclical thing, just my theory...like an arms race, you try to get one up on your opponents by having a bigger arsenal until it gets to the point you can't possibly master and utilize so many techniques, then people strip down and simplify, using the streamlined and efficent against the complex...I imagine this cycle has happened many times over the centuries...

Think about fighting...why not just use boxing? Well if you face a good kicker he can keep a boxer out of his range. So let's kick box. But if you face a wrestler and he takes you down, what then? Let's add wrestling, but now we go to the ground against a submission grappler, we need an answer for that...we've got the choice of working on a broad variety of techniques, or going back to boxing, as in the beginning of the story, and just get so good at it that we can't be kicked, taken down or submitted.
    Empty hand fighting is ineffective when it gets down to it. Unless you are doing sport or have horrid manners and get into bar fights...

One technique? Squeeze, don't pull.

Don't get me wrong, I cultivate my Kung Fu and remain aware when in urban areas, crowds etc, but this kind of thing can be totally solved by simply using a weapon. I ain't gonna kid myself about my capabilities when they are relative like anyone else's.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I like this concept ! 8 techniques is plenty enough put up against all plethera of situations.

ginosifu
    Agree. If more than that is needed in real combat, pull out your external weapons or pick up something on the sidelines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    what if the opponent counters?
    If you can't counter your opponent's counter, you are still not good at that technique. If your technique has 20 different ways to counters, you should be more familiar with those counters than your opponent does. You should also master all the counters against those counters.

For example, my teacher's brother was a left hand person. On the wrestling mat, he always moved in with his left side forward. When his left hand sorrounded your waist, his left leg sticked on your right leg, his right hand grabbed your left arm, he would just wait for you to make a move. If you tried to move in front of him, he would use embrace to pick you up. If you tried to move behind of him, he would use hip throw. He was very good in both techniques along with all the relative techniques such as 蹩撩扣轟裏擓, ....

So to master a simple technique is just the starting point but not the ending point. If you just want to deal with average Joe, that may be enough. If you want to be champ o the mat, you have to know more.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Agree. If more than that is needed in real combat, pull out your external weapons or pick up something on the sidelines.
    can i use institutionalized racism as external weapons against the deadly chocolate peoples

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    +1

The goal isn't to keep your student from getting bored.

If I need to entertain them, they might as well leave.
    My students have to bring a notebook and stop every 10 minutes to write down something. If they are busy to record information that they believe it's worthwhile to write down, they will never get bored.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    can i use institutionalized racism as external weapons against the deadly chocolate peoples
    Isn't there already enough of that in the world?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sure and you can go on and one and on and from 4 you can get 104 but that's not really the issue is it?
    The issue is that you do NOT need a huge catalog of techniques to be an effective fighter or even a great MA.
    The reason (some) systems do have MANY is that they take into account different body types, genders and mental attitudes and as such have a wider repertoire of techniques from which different types can draw upon.
    I thought we already had consensus on that one. If I wasn't clear before, I agree. A small set of techniques can be very effective.

The catalog of techniques I know is quite astounding.
    In the 30+ years of MA training and in the various systems I have learned, it would exceed the 100's quite easily.
    I use such a small percentage of them it isn't even funny.
    Yeah, most of my fights came down to simple strikes. When grappling it gets a bit more involved but still the basics are a small set. I would rather drill my timing all day than to learn 4000 techniques.

The catalog of techniques I know is quite astounding.
    In the 30+ years of MA training and in the various systems I have learned, it would exceed the 100's quite easily.
    I use such a small percentage of them it isn't even funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I thought we already had consensus on that one. If I wasn't clear before, I agree. A small set of techniques can be very effective.
    I like this concept ! 8 techniques is plenty enough put up against all plethera of situations.
    The only people who need more than a few techniques are MA teachers or Sifu. If you have many students they all may differ in approach and flavor, so naturally MA teachers have 100's of techniques to offer to many varied student.

The reason I like 8 techniques is that 8 is a small enough number of techniques to get you by for most all situations. This example is grossly perfect but serves to make a point:

2 Striking methods
    2 Kicking methods
    2 Grappling methods
    2 Throwing methods

Each method should have 8 different variations of each. There are a total of 8 methods X 8 variations each = 64 variations to use in any fighting situation. This is plenty, might even be a bit much however, the point is that you should take a few good techniques you like to work and try them in various sitations.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Empty hand fighting is ineffective when it gets down to it. Unless you are doing sport or have horrid manners and get into bar fights...

One technique? Squeeze, don't pull.

Don't get me wrong, I cultivate my Kung Fu and remain aware when in urban areas, crowds etc, but this kind of thing can be totally solved by simply using a weapon. I ain't gonna kid myself about my capabilities when they are relative like anyone else's.
    Well that's the reality...MAs serve a purpose for self defense, but is it really worth it to train 30 years for a fight that may never happen? It's pretty easy to carry a gun in the truck...and there's the very real risk of retaliation from friends/family/gang members of whomever you whooped up on in the street...

However...even during the hey day of TCMAs empty hand fighting wasn't practical for battle. Wars have been fought with weapons since the day someone picked up a club.

The flip side is Chinese generals believed the empty hand fighting made them better soldiers. Harder men I suppose. When the Mongols were conquering the world wrestling was still one of the 3 manly arts they were expected to practice....they weren't winning wars with wrestling, the horseback riding and archery was far more practical...

Maybe that's what it all comes down to...the manly arts...it is undeniably cooler to be an awesome fighter than to carry a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Yes. Racial slurs may help stir your opponents anger leaving him open to attack recklessly.

The only people who need more than a few techniques are MA teachers or Sifu. If you have many students they all may differ in approach and flavor, so naturally MA teachers have 100's of techniques to offer to many varied student.

The reason I like 8 techniques is that 8 is a small enough number of techniques to get you by for most all situations. This example is grossly perfect but serves to make a point:

2 Striking methods
    2 Kicking methods
    2 Grappling methods
    2 Throwing methods

Each method should have 8 different variations of each. There are a total of 8 methods X 8 variations each = 64 variations to use in any fighting situation. This is plenty, might even be a bit much however, the point is that you should take a few good techniques you like to work and try them in various sitations.

ginosifu
    Does that have anything to do with the whole Chinese fascination with 8's? I heard a phone number full of 8's sold for a ton of cash in ChengDu.

Why not 7 or 9?

Just curious. Otherwise I like the post.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Yes. Racial slurs may help stir your opponents anger leaving him open to attack recklessly.
    I do that all the time. Not racial slurs, but throw people off their game by getting them all emotional. Whether it's a fist fight or a debate. It works very well.

2 Striking methods
    2 Kicking methods
    2 Grappling methods
    2 Throwing methods

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Does that have anything to do with the whole Chinese fascination with 8's? I heard a phone number full of 8's sold for a ton of cash in ChengDu.

Why not 7 or 9?

Just curious. Otherwise I like the post.
    Yes, the Chinese "I-Ching" follows the number 8. 8 is a decent number of techniques but, if you 6 or 9 I don't it would matter. Just have a small number of moves and some variations.

ginosifu