Thread: Kung Fu school in southwest China?

Question Kung Fu school in southwest China?

Hi,
    Is it possible to find a school in the southwest who teaches traditional Kung Fu? It doesn't have to be Shaolin Kung fu. Other Kung Fu styles are great too. I just want to know if it is possible to find a good english speaking master in the southwest.
    My chinese is very bad and my martial arts background is small. Three years Yang Taijiquan and 8 months Capoeira. But I am in a very good physical shape. I do almost every day sports.
    I like nature, animals and outdoor training. Therefore, I want to learn traditional martial arts in the southwest. In addition, I want to visit all the beautiful landscapes and temples of the southwestern provinces.
    What do you think? Is it possible to find a good foreigner-friendly Kung Fu school in the southwest or should I go to Shi De Cheng in Henan province?
    My age: 27. I want to stay at least 3 months in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Monk View Post
    What do you think?
    Without the language and 3 months time you won't learn much.
    Also southwest China is like a quarter Europe, so where? Anyway you can check this guy:

http://niudor.com/jiaolian_info.asp?id=1690

He teaches yiquan (dachengquan) in Guiyang which maybe leaves you a chance to actually learn something in 3 months, something you can work with later. His name is Peng Liangfeng and is a student of Yao Chengguang of Beijng (at least it says so on that page). It seems that he has some kind of short, 4 months courses, so you can try him.. Contact info is on the bottom of the same web page. I don't know him and do not recommend him. Just a random find.

Yea, you have to narrow your area...

BTW, my master, Shi Decheng, closed his public school for foreigners. He still teaches privately in Songshan, but good luck catching him. He's often traveling abroad teaching.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

When did he closed the school?
    Is it closed forever or only a few months? I want to travel next summer to China.

He closed it some time ago

At one point, he had two schools in Dengfeng, but then decided that he was spending so much time abroad that he couldn't attend to them. He teaches through Chen Tongshan's school when he is in town, but only a limited class.

Still, Henan is central China, not really Southwest. Where exactly do you plan to go or is this still vague?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I just want to find a foreigner-friendly school and a good Kung Fu master who speaks a little english. If I could choose the region, I would go to Southwest China because it has beautiful nature and other things to see. In addition, the climate is better.
    But if I can't find such a school in the Southwest, I would go to Shi Decheng because his school has a very good reputation and it is foreigner-friendly. I didn't know that Shi Decheng is often abroad.
    I want to learn some traditional Kung Fu, not the modern Beijing Wushu. I'm too old for the modern stuff.
    Are there any other foreigner-friendly schools in China?