Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition Vs. Cooperation.

Competition Vs. Cooperation.

Competition Vs. Cooperation.

I am involved in a movement called OSH, Open Source Hardware. Over the last few years I have witnessed an exponential growth through cooperation, something never seen in the competitive environment. The growth rate is insane and people are getting paid. Startups are succeeding and bringing manufacturing and assembly back to N. America. I see a better future thru cooperation. Competition and trade secrets, IMO, are greedy and stunt production.

Open Source Software has already taken the world by storm and is well established. Proof of concept, beyond a shadow of doubt.

Thoughts? Where do you see this going? Do you think the world should be run by innovators or money changers and asset hoarders? Which do you think better represents us all?

What would be more productive. Training with friends and helping eachother become better MAists, or just training alone and doing comps?

I'm not saying competition is bad. If it is in the context and spirit of cooperation I think it's a great thing. But when it's just head to head and unfriendly, there is more tearing down than building going on.

There was this competition for Bot makers.(robotic engineers) and they all had to make a bot that could perform specific tasks. Many had different ways of looking at it. There were many great ideas. Before the OS movement, these people had to design their bots from the ground up. After the OSM, they used eachothers platforms that were best suited for their needs and then went from there. Which do you think produced the better examples? The competition with no sharing or the competition with OSH and OSS?

Competition is good but competition should breed innovation, not stifle it. If everyone's got access to the same technology true capitalism dictates that the person who can do it at the best cost/value ratio will sell the best. And considering everyone wants to be first I say we limit patents to a month at most.

IMO cooperative collaborative competition is the best. Like the Bot example I used. Every year they not only build off and improve their own ideas, but all the other competitors ideas aswell. How many companies spend billions in RD to produce the same thing in the same amount of time? It's a waste. But no, they want it all for themselves so they won't share. It's like starving to death because you are hoarding your own food instead of living off it. Dumb. Short term gains, long term pains.

In the first post when I said competition, I meant the type of greedy "me first" and if possible "me only" type of competition that dominated American economics over the last 50 years. Just to be clear. I'm sure most of yall got that tho.

Actually, it's more like starving your family so you can have extra food. It's a sickness and we are INFECTED!

No need to make it an either / or situation.

I used to visit other gyms and train with their guys to learn their stuff - cooperation
    I used to test my stuff vs others - competition

You get further and better by using BOTH than you ever will be using just one.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

In order to attract investors there has to be a solid business model. Otherwise the movement will depend upon a critical mass of altruistic developers and hobbyists. With OSH what does the business model look like?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No need to make it an either / or situation.

I used to visit other gyms and train with their guys to learn their stuff - cooperation
    I used to test my stuff vs others - competition

You get further and better by using BOTH than you ever will be using just one.
    That is cooporative competition. There is a difference. Sorry, thought I cleared that up in one of the posts.

Your analogy isn't very different from the Bot analogy.

Maybe I should have labelled this thread "Open source Vs. Patents" or something like that. But I figured you guys would be able to read between the lines so that I wouldn't have to post an OS mission statement and a long dry explanation. It's a simple concept. Sorry I wasn't more clear earlier. I made the assumption that people already had an idea of what OS is. My bad. If you have questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to make it clear.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    In order to attract investors there has to be a solid business model. Otherwise the movement will depend upon a critical mass of altruistic developers and hobbyists. With OSH what does the business model look like?
    It's not subject to a model. If you build something, you can sell it any way you want to. Whether you wanna build them in your garage and sell on craiglist or create prototypes, draw up a model and pitch to investors. Your call. I understand this may be hard for some to grasp.

But then this is part of my point, OS changes EVERYTHING about how biz is done and I feel It's a better way of going about it.

Since when is a patent essential to a good model?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I was wondering, are you really unfamiliar with the fact that there are many successful OS companies making a ton of cash? It's no secret.

Look up Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Two very good examples that are trending now so you shouldn't have any trouble finding out all you need to know about these two products and the people who produce them. They are both prototyping tools, these usually cost an arm and a leg when they aren't OS. That is just two out of tens of thousands all over the world. It won't be long before the greedmongers start trying to patent open source material, but they will never win the battle. One great thing about OS is that we all stand together. You try to hoard our ideas and you will suffer the consequences. Not only do we have rock solid grounds for a legal engagement, but the last thing you wanna do is piss of a few thousand hackers. You will feel the pain, one way or another.

Considering the fact that the technology and economic mindstate kept this from being realistic until recently, we've gone very far. It's like music. Bands would sign with a label and have no choice but to take front money at insane return rates just to record a decent quality LP. Now I can do it in my home for under a grand, not factoring the money for the gear. That's about 10 grand. Distro is beyond easy, not even a factor anymore.
    Despite the fact that this is a new idea(not really, but new in large scale practice), the amount of success is insane. Never seen before. Progress by hobbyists is already starting to catch up and pass billion dollar RnD centers. Just recently there was a biotech startup who needed to fold proteins in a certain way to achieve their goals. They couldn't do it after so much effort and a shit ton of money. They released their info and asked for help from the OS community and a 14 year old solved the problem with one of his video games he developed. That is progress. And make no mistake, this kid is getting his due and now he has opportunities flying at him. Sure he could have held his idea for ransom, filed patent. But he didn't and now we are collectively better off for it. And his life has already improved drastically.

http://www.crm-reviews.com/50-open-s...nd-government/

here's a story from 2006.

There are now whole programs at major universities to learn and eximine OS. MIT is VERY involved.

More

11 Biggest Open Source Success Stories That Are Changing The World As We Know It
    http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/08/1...s-stories.html

How the Open Source Movement Has Changed Education: 10 Success Stories
    http://oedb.org/library/features/how...uccess-stories

We are just getting started. I suggest people in RnD get aquainted real quick. This IS the future. Get on the bus or you'll be chasing it down the road trying to keep up.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.

The entire web you're surfing on is built on Open Source.

Linux to run the server (command line gong fu). Apache (Tomcat), Nginx, HaProxy or NodeJs to serve the pages and services, PHP, Java, Javascript, jQuery for programming dynamic content, HTML, CSS for static, (you can even write it with an open source IDE, Eclipse). SVN, CVS for source code version control and repository, Hudson/Jenkins for deployment. MongDB, MySQL, PostgresSQL or Sqlite for your databases. Sheeeeit even the browser you surf it with is possibly Chrome or Mozilla, all open source.

If you have the inclination for self education you can single handedly deploy a new web application for < $20/month (the amount it costs to rent a small server instance from AWS EC2)

I want to single out two of the most cutting edge technologies currently being used in web development;

http://www.mongodb.org/

http://nodejs.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Open Source Software is a well established fact of life now.

Open Source Hardware is still growing roots. But it's coming and it cannot be ignored.

Open source research, like cancer research. That one bothers me. Not because it happens, but that it doesn't happen enough. A classic example of MASSIVE waste of resources in the name of competing for profits.

Don't get me wrong. I am a capitalist. I'm just not a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Open Source Hardware is still growing roots. But it's coming and it cannot be ignored.

Open source research, like cancer research. That one bothers me. Not because it happens, but that it doesn't happen enough. A classic example of MASSIVE waste of resources in the name of competing for profits.
    The problem that prevents the open source licensing model from taking off in bio/medical research and hardware is because they require seed funding to even get off the ground. Raspberry Pi for instance can't even meet demand. Whereas any kid with a ten year old PC that can run a text editor can create the next big framework or write a webserver for absolutely nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I thought Java has converter that can convert binary code back to source code more than 10 years ago.

If a product has A, B, C, D, E 5 functions, a customer only want to buy function A, C, E. You can take the release product binary code, run through the converter to get the Java code. Use scanner to remove all functions that have to do with function B and D. recomplie back to the binary code, and relese it to the customer.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument