Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition Vs. Cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I thought Java has converter that can convert binary code back to source code more than 10 years ago.

If a product has A, B, C, D, E 5 functions, a customer only want to buy function A, C, E. You can take the release product binary code, run through the converter to get the Java code. Use scanner to remove all functions that have to do with function B and D. recomplie back to the binary code, and relese it to the customer.
    Open Source Software has been around for over 30 years. It doesn't have the many challenges that OSH has. Writing code takes a computer and some knowledge. Open source hardware requires much more. Like funds for prototyping on the low end and on the other end you have to gather funds for large scale marketing and production development.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    The problem that prevents the open source licensing model from taking off in bio/medical research and hardware is because they require seed funding to even get off the ground. Raspberry Pi for instance can't even meet demand. Whereas any kid with a ten year old PC that can run a text editor can create the next big framework or write a webserver for absolutely nothing.
    Great points. Mos def there are some hurdles. But I can think of worse things than overwhelming demand.

Pi is a learning tool, primarily. If you know your field, it doesn't take much to just make one on your own. If you are able to tear down existing electronics and build a single board computer on your own, you don't need raspberry pi. That being said, Many people is the "makers" movement are using them to control projects because they are cheap and easy. Why build one when you can pick one up for 30 bucks. I see contracts to supply institutions of learning in Rasberry's future. If they can show that kind of demand(and they sort of already have) investors will follow. Early stages are always tough without billion dollar RnD support.

You see the same thing with Arduino's new Due. They sold out in like a day and had to play catch up. But they have an amazing team and I have no doubt as to whether they will succeed or not.

OS is a concept that can solve many of the worlds ills. To ignore that for more profit for you by subjugating others would be, and is, unfortunate.

It's up to those of us who are educated to push it into the public consciousness as a good thing, not a naive thing. Many people feel we are all crazy and carry a massive idealistic naivety. That comes from people who are or want to be on top rather than just have more equality.

It's a sad truth, but if you asked the poor what they would rather have, a fair shot and relative comfort, or you can own islands and become a party to oppression, they will usually choose the latter. Weak. Sad. But true, none the less. And it is a reality that presents hurdles. No doubt.

We are just now starting to see investors starting to grasp the potential of the concept. In ten years, this conversation will be VERY different. Yall can call me on that if we're all still around.

The biggest hurdle to open source research are pharma and tech giants.

There are a very large amount of people who are willing to give a lil to get a lot in this respect. And people who butt heads and try to interfere with malicious intentions will reap the consequences.

I know it's not the same thing exactly, but just ask Penny Leavy and her HB Gary clown outfit what happens when you butt heads with a legion of cooperative action. It really is, in many ways, a war for the future of mankind.

No more trouble finding Raspberry Pi now. The only one I can't get easily is the Model A. All that fuss bout the inability of meeting demand was for nothing. They are killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    No more trouble finding Raspberry Pi now. The only one I can't get easily is the Model A. All that fuss bout the inability of meeting demand was for nothing. They are killing it.
    Only took a year and a half too.

Which is awesome considering their situation. It was only a year, and they were available all throughout that year at various times. It's not like they had one small run and then nothing for a year. To go from expectations of moving like 20,000 units to passing 1 million and getting the next runs in order to meet demand in such a short time is not something to look down on. Sure, they could have just used the first Chinese manufacturer that could get it done fastest, but they chose to make sure their products quality wasn't gonna go down the shitter w/ some random sweatshop. I can wait when it means integrity stays intact. And really, for this kind of thing it was pretty fast.

Developed since 2006, foundation established 2009, pre-orders in 2011, plenty of time to gauge demand, if you can't properly source your supply chain in 6 years. . .

Obviously not all of the delays were supply chain based, nonetheless the impatience with the initial delays was justified. Doesn't take away from the great product, is just indicative of mismanagement which is typical for a non profit let alone a start up side project.

*technically Rasberry Pi isn't open source hardware.

Yeah but I don't count any of the time before the demand. In 2009 they had to give them away. You could argue for 2011 and on, no sooner. And I only count B model Rev 1 because that's when the real demand came in. And it was like a flood, not a steady stream. Also we have to remember that the initial intent was to have them all manufactured in the UK. Clearly that isn't gonna happen now. Only one of mine is a Chinese one. So far so good. We'll see I guess. Aside from the whole ethernet problem that slowed them down early, that is. And that's where the real frustration came in. It was those who had preordered and then they couldn't release the run cause of the ethernet drama. Not sure whos fault that was, but it was annoying, for sure.

In the big view of manufacturing, they were horribly slow. And since people are used to large runs by large corps, they don't realize what it takes to set that up when demand increases 1000 fold. To go from an educational "non profit let alone a start up side project." to what they are becoming now in such a short time is great. They just didn't have the talent to go in this direction. They did some great work, but clearly didn't have the structure to go where they are going now. You can tell they were honestly taken back by the demand. And yeah, we can say they should have done a better job at gauging response, but we also have to factor in the growing maker trend. Raspberry Pi has already made it to space(technically). Remember, the initial intent was to sell them to UK schools because the PC spoiled a whole generation with all this user friendly stuff.

Regardless of the manufacturing issues, for the price it's a great tool. There are better boards for most of the applications you can use the Pi for, but they aren't nearly as versatile and cheap. Some are versatile, some are cheap, none are both on the level of the Pi. Actually that isn't true anymore, but it was last year.

Everyone was impatient. I think it goes both ways. Partly because of unrealistic expectations and partly because the team they had wasn't set up for where it ultimately went. Still, in context, they did pretty good with this whole project, you gotta give it up for that.

The new Beagle Bone looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    *technically Rasberry Pi isn't open source hardware.
    Word. Not just technically...

That doesn't change their impact on OSH though. And it's Linux, so there is that.

Again, Their intent was more geared to computer science than electrical engineering in general. People are using it for all sorts of stuff that it was never intended for. The original idea was to have every kid having a linux computer on their school desk.... For obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Syn7; 03-31-2013 at 11:41 AM.