Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: No Style

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You need

- compliant partner for "training".
    - non-compliant partner for "testing".
    Agreed.

That still doesn't make those clips "no-style".

If you apply this, even the best throwing master on this planet won't be able to throw you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7-XVuYXW8.
    Of course he will. He will simply move into a more appropriate throw based on what the opponent in doing. That's basically what realistic throwing is all about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Of course he will. He will simply move into a more appropriate throw based on what the opponent in doing. That's basically what realistic throwing is all about.
    That counter is almost like "pull guard" or "jump guard". Besides to let your opponent to drag you down and you try to be on top, what throw can you apply?

When 2 bodies tangled together, unless you can separate both bodies, no throw can be applied at that moment.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

That counter is almost like "pull guard" or "jump guard". Besides to let your opponent to drag you down and you try to be on top, what throw can you apply?

When 2 bodies tangled together, unless you can separate both bodies, no throw can be applied at that moment.
    Of course you can throw him, you can slam him right back on his back as when he is committed to the wrap and is hanging back. Your hips are going to land right on his chest which will not be very good for him.

The move he is doing would probably get him a broken sternum if he gets dumped hard enough.

The problem with the guy doing the original throw in that video is that he doesn't understand that throwing when someone is resisting is not about doing the original throw, but rather about setting up different throws from the original attempt. The guy doing the throw keeps trying to do the same throw, which is usually the mark of a novice.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 01-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    We may have different definition about "throw". You are talking about to throw your own body backward to smash on top of your opponent's body. This is no difference from just throwing your body forward when your opponent applies "pull guard". Will you call that a throw? I prefer to call it "lose your own balance on purpose".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.

We may have different definition about "throw". You are talking about to throw your own body backward to smash on top of your opponent's body. This is no difference from just throwing your body forward when your opponent applies "pull guard". Will you call that a throw? I prefer to call it "lose your own balance on purpose".
    Throwing your body forward when someone pulls guard is completely different. It's very hard to do much damage in that instance.

Blog Entries
    Throwing your body forward when someone pulls guard is completely different. It's very hard to do much damage in that instance.
    Not if you drop your elbow on your opponent's heart area, throat, ...

lord not this please

I suppose that would be possible, although somewhat unlikely.

However, you are missing the point. When you get caught up in having to "throw" your opponent, you end up in the same counter-productive situation you are in when you have to stick to your "style."

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Logs are good when you have no partner, but throwing logs and throwing people are different.
    Logs are not meant for the throwing conditioing. They provide weight attribute periodization in lifting, positioning and muscles being prepared for said training. One may say it adds in task acquisition. In my former bootcamp life, part of training was the platoon lifting logs, carrying said losg a specific distance,, picking up and putting down the logs a part of teamwork, observation, etc but it is obvious one does not see logs attacking people, or being part of the greater battlespace.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    lord not this please
    How bout an elbow in the mouth? Honestly, when somebody pulls guard or tries to take me down that way then turn mid fall/throw I do my best to land on top and if I do, I like the full force of my elbow on one end and the ground on the other end of their head. It has served me rather well. And it fucking HURTS! Even when it isn't a show stopper.

I suppose that would be possible, although somewhat unlikely.

However, you are missing the point. When you get caught up in having to "throw" your opponent, you end up in the same counter-productive situation you are in when you have to stick to your "style."
    Maybe, but not always.

After I had impressed my beautiful wife, I no longer need to impress any women. When I taught Taiji in YWCA, girls loved to touch my body and said, "as hard as rock". Even today water still dropped out of my wife's mouth when she saw my naked body.
    A lot of women want another part hard too.