Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: No Style

You gotta vid so I can tell if we are talking bout the same thing? I saw it a long time ago and I'm going off an old memory. I have done things similar in other styles, but they were a bit different than what I'm thinking of. The ones I learned didn't use the shoulder striking but still drove in under the same principles. Leg sweep, hip toss, hook up and turn the corner for a double even. It's the strike that interests me, not the takedown.

It may have been 8 step. It's been awhile.

Blog Entries
    Here is one kind of "shoulder strike".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmfFWoZPvg

If you hook your opponent's back leg, you can take him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijqfK7xyYw
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Do you run him over and take position for ground control or do you let him go flying?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The shoulder strike by itself is not sufficient enough to take your opponent down. But it helps you to knock your opponent's leading leg off the ground. If you can obtain your opponent's leading leg and hook his back leg at the same time, your opponent will have no leg to stand but fall.
    Shoulder strike is handy to use when the opponent tries to clinch or grapple and he thinks he is not exposed to strikes at that close range.

It can break his attempt at control and allow you to use follow up strikes, stand up grappling, or takedowns.

Or you can use it as you close in to stun him and follow up.

If you train enough, you actually can knock down a person. But don't follow him down. Just kick him in the face.

Syn7 You gotta vid so I can tell if we are talking bout the same thing? I saw it a long time ago and I'm going off an old memory. I have done things similar in other styles, but they were a bit different than what I'm thinking of. The ones I learned didn't use the shoulder striking but still drove in under the same principles. Leg sweep, hip toss, hook up and turn the corner for a double even. It's the strike that interests me, not the takedown.

It may have been 8 step. It's been awhile.
    I have hours on my youbtube channel but cant remember in which of the hours LOL.

I understand what you are asking no worries. the body movemnt is its Ba duan, and you use a simple gou li ti to side block opp punch redirect then move past his center with jing, then use body, head, or shoulder like YKW video demoed
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Here is one kind of "shoulder strike".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmfFWoZPvg

If you hook your opponent's back leg, you can take him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijqfK7xyYw
    We train these against the 80lb heavy bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dn0...feature=relmfu

Hit the bag to get it going. Then time the hits to connect as the bag is swinging towards you. Focus on shocking the bag and sending it as far as possible each time.

We particularly like the shoulder strikes starting at 1:48. The horse stance ones also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Shoulder strike is handy to use when the opponent tries to clinch or grapple and he thinks he is not exposed to strikes at that close range.

It can break his attempt at control and allow you to use follow up strikes, stand up grappling, or takedowns.

Or you can use it as you close in to stun him and follow up.

If you train enough, you actually can knock down a person. But don't follow him down. Just kick him in the face.
    That's an excellent point. If you apply shoulder strike in clinch range, it may surprise your opponent big time. It may only exist in TCMA. I have not seen Judo guys or wrestlers used it yet.

When you apply it, watch out for your opponent's "head lock" and "reverse head lock (guillotine)". When your shoulder can hit your opponent's chest, his arms can get your neck too. When his "head lock" make both of your bodies to be connected, the power of your shoulder strike may not work that well. This is why it's important to be sure that your opponent's arms won't give you trouble when you do that.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-26-2012 at 10:28 PM.

2 minutes is is good. thsi is ba duan, hes been doing it for a while you can see the jing
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Ive only seen wrestlers do it as a side effect of a hard drive. I'm sure they get a kick out of crashing in hard, but it isn't the reason why they're in there.

That's an excellent point. If you apply shoulder strike in clinch range, it may surprise your opponent big time. It may only exist in TCMA. I have not seen Judo guys or wrestlers used it yet.

When you apply it, watch out for your opponent's "head lock" and "reverse head lock (guillotine)". When your shoulder can hit your opponent's chest, his arms can get your neck too. When his "head lock" make both of your bodies to be connected, the power of your shoulder strike may not work that well. This is why it's important to be sure that your opponent's arms won't give you trouble when you do that.
    My sihing and I train this as a specialty from our system. Our classmates did not like to train this much.

Actually after we use the strike, we are in good position ourselves to use guillotine on the other guy. We already have right arm control and neck follows right away. But compared to the video, we are more right shoulder to right shoulder. But in the clip, he s right to left or left to right.

Also in training against the bag, we don't start so far away. We want to maximize the force and minimize the distance needed.

My sihing used it against his classmate when he tried to surprise him with a SC takedown. He used shoulder strike and knocked the other guy down instead. His teacher told him not to use shoulder strike again.
    Last edited by -N-; 11-26-2012 at 10:50 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWj1pvkCBdA&feature=plcp

At 44 seconds, this is very close to what I was thinking accept that the lead arm is trapped in toward your opponents centerline making it hard for him to come with the left hand and he's also not able to face you without giving his back or making his arm position even worse by turning in to it. I love that push tho. I would like to see all the ways to trap and enter for that push. I'm less concerned with after the shoulder strike. I am pretty well versed in takedowns, I can see a ton of options there if you keep driving in rather than letting him bump off of you. Do you use your lead arm to push more, or backslap? Or is it just to get him off balance?

Do you use that as an end, or do you just stop there to train that specific drill and not worry about the after until you get that part down?

Also I have seen one where the hips are more square and only turn in after contact. Has that whole deflection force working for you. Sort of like when you check a front kick and push off to unbalance your opp. I love those kinds of deflections. They work really well for me when I'm on the outside of the arms working towards the center line. Gets em all tied up in their own limbs.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-27-2012 at 01:15 AM.

MMA fighters use shoulders strikes all the time during clinches. They aren't that effective really.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    MMA fighters use shoulders strikes all the time during clinches. They aren't that effective really.
    Not the same thing. You can't do what I'm talking about from a static position. It's kinetic from the step in all the way thru to ground control. You can take side control or mount very easily after the toss.
    I know what you mean tho. They do it when their in someones guard too.

It does hurt, I've felt it. It's like getting run over.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.

...The shoulder strike by itself is not sufficient enough to take your opponent down. ....
    http://youtu.be/1zD17zl83Ko

At 44 seconds, this is very close to what I was thinking accept that the lead arm is trapped in toward your opponents centerline making it hard for him to come with the left hand and he's also not able to face you without giving his back or making his arm position even worse by turning in to it.
    yes this is done with the same bridgeing tech (side block mantis), and it can be done from underneath as well. as seen in the vid

I love that push tho. I would like to see all the ways to trap and enter for that push.
    its combinations are endless

I'm less concerned with after the shoulder strike. I am pretty well versed in takedowns, I can see a ton of options there if you keep driving in rather than letting him bump off of you.
    yes depends on what ou want to do adn the end result your looking for.

Do you use your lead arm to push more, or backslap? Or is it just to get him off balance?
    again depends on your goal or where you want o him to be, you can push him away you can hook the head from underneath for a throw over your shoulder. disturb his center, you can take down etc etc.

Do you use that as an end, or do you just stop there to train that specific drill and not worry about the after until you get that part down?
    this is just 1 drill we pratcie over and over however when fighting you never ever stop your attack or forward motion until they are locked, broken, KO 'd bloody dead or they run, they are laying down not wanting to get up and fight.

Also I have seen one where the hips are more square and only turn in after contact. Has that whole deflection force working for you. Sort of like when you check a front kick and push off to unbalance your opp. I love those kinds of deflections. They work really well for me when I'm on the outside of the arms working towards the center line.

Gets em all tied up in their own limbs.
    correct though thats a differnt type of Jing, thts Na twisting
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Do you use your lead arm to push more, or backslap?
    You can use your shoulder to strike either below or above your opponent's arm. You can also throw your opponent either straight back or 90 degree sideway. When you throw your opponent 90 degree sideway, that's the time to use your upper arm or forearm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQGjm3q1-I

Here is the solo drill if partner is not available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjW0AABc6E