Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: more on the state of kung fu in china

you say this like youre the only guy on this forum whos lived in china

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    ok you guys just keep living in you kung movie fantasy world, just telling you how it is in the real world here in china, from a guy who has been living here almost 7 years.
    You're not the only one living in China, and your 7 years here means nothing and is not impressing anyone, since it is obvious that although you've lived here for that time you haven't accomplished a whole lot insofar as finding kung fu, which isn't for a lack of it but a mistake or inability in your search apparently.

Oddly though, you seem uninterested in having your opinion changed and just want to tell people "how it is in the real world". But if the real world in China is poppin' n lockin' in your apartment, then yeah I imagine there's probably not a lot of kung fu happening around there...

7 years and look how far you've come. Awesome.

Oddly though, you seem uninterested in having your opinion changed and just want to tell people "how it is in the real world". But if the real world in China is poppin' n lockin' in your apartment, then yeah I imagine there's probably not a lot of kung fu happening around there...[/QUOTE]

ut don't forget my recent tv commercial. i posted that here too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_NG...2&feature=plcp

Wiz,

It seems that you are just wanting attention. Here is some more for you.

For the 5th time I guess, have you visited Foshan, King Mui Village, Pingshan, anywhere in Guangdong besides Shenzhen... Huizhou, Guangzhou...HONG KONG? Do I need to list places in other provinces? Do you have any idea how many Kung Fu schools, and TCM clinics connected to Kung Fu schools, operate in Hong Kong? You can actually go to any Business Bureau in Hong Kong and ask for a list of regulated schools. It is public information. Do you ever go to Kung Fu corner on the weekends? You are like an hour and a half away from there...
    If your Chinese is bad, have you visited any of the foreigners who are actually teaching near you...Roger Hagood, Mark Houghton, Keith King...Need more? This is only near where you are mind you. Have you researched any of the styles well known in Guangdong?

Again, you have studied, as you have stated, Hong Quan, Bagua, and Xingyi...And these have historically been known (especially in the first year of study) as having lots of partner work??? Then we flip that to Shuai Jiao and Sanda, which are both mainly partner work??? What gives? Have you researched any other styles, specifically styles well known in the places that you have been living? In Beijing, why didn't you look for any Yiquan or Ziranmen schools? Both schools do very well in Beijing Sanda competitions, even Shuai Jiao competitions. Did you ever train at the BJJ school in Beijing? hehe!

No Kung Fu Movie fantasy worlds here, and all personal attacks (as you seem to like) aside... You are not going to convince me of anything about real world China. I am not trying to impress anyone as you clearly are here with your 7 year itch statements and commerical trailers. I know the language, trained all over China, was there most of last year, worked there way too many, have been to Potola Palace and Base Camp before backpacking drunk and half broke throughout the rest of the country just to see if Wu Tai Shan was better... Have visited frequently, am married to a Dengfenger... And I have way too many friends living there and training, family members living there and training, and the like.

You are basically saying that this is your 6th year there, that you don't know where to find real Kung Fu, and that you are making 10,500 RMB while living in one of the most expensive cities in China... AND nonetheless training Henan Shaolin in Guangdong, for 150 RMB privates on top of whatever you are paying for regular tuition? Henan Shaolin in Guangdong? I mean, HENAN SHAOLIN IN GUANGDONG???

How are you going to convince anyone of anything?

Cheers,

TAO

Other than the fact that studying Henan Shaolin is kind of wierd, Wiz is right on point for the most part.

Are you actually reading or just scimming the thead, Tao Yin?

For example:
    Do you have any idea how many Kung Fu schools, and TCM clinics connected to Kung Fu schools, operate in Hong Kong?
    He's not in Hong Kong. While HK is legally part of China, for all practical intents and purposes, it is another country. Even since the reunification, Chinese nationals still need special entry/exit permits which are applied for in a process pretty similar to asking for a Visa and as an American, while I don't need a Visa to enter HK, the mainland considers a trip to HK "leaving the country". Unless you have a multiple entry Visa, a weekend trip from Guangdong to HK means you will need to re-apply for a Visa to "China".
    Again, you have studied, as you have stated, Hong Quan, Bagua, and Xingyi...And these have historically been known (especially in the first year of study) as having lots of partner work???
    Well that would be great then if he was training back somewhere in Chinese ancient history but in the actual present day, yeah, it's pretty much like he said for all of those. I live in Shaanxi which is pretty much the birthplace of Hong Quan. Hong Quan (小红拳) is far and away the most popular style in Xi'an. Xingyi is common, bagua...not quite as much. Almost nobody in the entire city teaches any differently than what Wiz described, certainly not in the first year.

Then we flip that to Shuai Jiao and Sanda, which are both mainly partner work???
    Apparently, since you were just scimming the thread, you missed the parts where he talked about all the intense sparring and competition that was there right from the start in the Shuai Jiao training he did. You also seem to have not read the parts where he talked about how if you want to spar at a kung fu school in China, you pretty much just have to do the Sanda program but there's no real overlap between the traditional training and the Sanda. This has been my experience as well.

FWIW, I'm going on about 13 years in Xi'an so far. If you take out the couple trips home maybe only about 9 or 10 years of time spend on the ground. Fully fluent in Chinese and formal lineage holder in a traditional style. So I found what I was looking for. A couple of anecdotes about people keeping it real do not change the fact that Wiz is describing, really very accurately, what really is the general state of kung fu in China.

Talking

o i'm not reading all that ****,i got a life

Omar,

I realize that this is apparent in some schools. Most who don't want to lose face, wan't to keep student enrollments high with easiness, and etc... It is going on more so with Xingyi, Taichi, and Bagua schools than it is with Chow Gar Tong Long schools in Guangdong...

- If he has been living in China for the last six years and doesn't have enough sense to get a multiple-entry visa. Do I need to go on with this statement? He is not Chinese. When I lived in Guangzhou, I went to Honkers any weekend I wanted to.

- Maybe I didn't make myself clear there. Hong Quan is not well known for two man anything, Bagua is not well known for two man anything, and Xingyi is not well known for two many anything. None of them ever have been. Yet he studied those arts, while looking for two man anything...

- Different areas of China and different styles have different ways. But not all are as described. Look at styles curriculums before jumping in to them. Realize that Sanda is practical sparring anyways. Etc! You know?

Wiz,

If you can't read, and can't take criticism on your own topic no less, why expect us to?

most hardcore kung fu clubs that have even some remote emphasis on fighting not only dont teach foreigners, they dont even teach city chinese. if you talk chinese in a lisp, they dont teach you. if you dye your hair, keep long hair, they dont teach you. if you wear fancy clothes, they dont teach you. if you try to pull that city attitude, they will KILL you.

the sports and cultural association in my hometown is directly descended from the boxing rebellion. you really think they would teach you?

are they amazing fighters? NO. they are average. but they just dont teach outsiders. kung fu is not universal. other than mainstream taijixingyibaguashaolin, people arent out there pimping their lineage.

so some of the reasons are

-ultranationalism
    -racism
    -revolutionary theology (where racism and nationalism is part of folk religion)

- all the shifus know the typical foreigner is gonna learn for 3 months, go back and start teaching.

- . lots of western students that go to china are MENTALLY DISTURBED. have that weird empty, dazed look. even the most hardcore shifu is creeped out. ALWAYS try to be the special student and start looking down on the chinese students that been training there since childhood. asking to "light spar", then go all out and sucker punch people.

-western students masterbate all the time and the dormitories smell like semen.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-05-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

the sports and cultural association in my hometown is directly descended from the boxing rebellion. you really think they would teach you?
    challenge accepted, where are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    challenge accepted, where are you from?
    funing, the birthplace of gu ruzhang, founder of bak sil lum.

most hardcore kung fu clubs that have even some remote emphasis on fighting not only dont teach foreigners, they dont even teach city chinese. if you talk chinese in a lisp, they dont teach you. if you dye your hair, keep long hair, they dont teach you. if you wear fancy clothes, they dont teach you. if you try to pull that city attitude, they will KILL you.

are they amazing fighters? NO. they are average. but they just dont teach outsiders. kung fu is not universal. other than mainstream taijixingyibaguashaolin, people arent out there pimping their lineage.

-ultranationalism
    -racism

- all the shifus know the typical foreigner is gonna learn for 3 months, go back and start teaching.

- . lots of western students that go to china are MENTALLY DISTURBED. have that weird empty, dazed look. even the most hardcore shifu is creeped out. ALWAYS try to be the special student and start looking down on the chinese students that been training there since childhood. asking to "light spar", then go all out and sucker punch people.

Anyway you are right, Gwailos just won't get it.

-ultranationalism
    -racism

Classic Bawang !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

-ultranationalism
    -racism

Scheisse, Bawang! You could've made this the 2nd post on this thread and saved us 5 pages of nonsense. What's wrong wit you, bro? You slippin', baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Scheisse, Bawang! You could've made this the 2nd post on this thread and saved us 5 pages of nonsense. What's wrong wit you, bro? You slippin', baby.
    because its common sense, i thought you guys can figure out easily.

awkward westerner with figure of virgin girl goes to china looking to train kung fu under people who vow every morning to destroy white people. what can go wrong?