Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: more on the state of kung fu in china

Wiz Cool C,

Go to Foshan, Guangzhou, Huizhou, Hong Kong, etc. Seek people out. Contact Roger Hagood from SPM or go visit him. Contact Pak Mei, Chow Gar, Hung Fut, Dragon, Choy Lay Fat, Wing Chun, or whatever style works for you... I don't really know about Shenzhen, but there are lots of schools all over Guangdong that are open to whatever. What are you looking for?

Just my own opinion, but why train Shaolin where you are at? Near you are some really good Southern Style teachers. There are lots of people in Guangdong who love to play.

There are also some Shuai Jiao, Sanda, Muay Thai, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo, and BJJ schools, all around you.

Go to Tian He stadium in Guangzhou on the weekends. There are open cage fights there.

You are surrounded by all of it. You realize that don't you?

http://www.boonmuaythai.com/en/main.php

http://www.satirio.com/ma/about.html

http://www.fschinwoo.com/en/a1.htm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HUNG-S...44614045559558

http://www.hkjj.com.hk/instructor_e.html

http://www.pakmei.org/index.html

http://www.hungfutpai.com/links.htm

http://chinamantis.com/index.htm

香港東江周家螳螂李天來拳術會
    Various performances of master's on youtube? Check them out. People with ties to schools in China? Ask them!

Um, I am 10 thousand miles away just messing around. On a computer that won't let me put anything but pinyin in. Open your eyes man...

Go to Tian He stadium in Guangzhou on the weekends. There are open cage fights there.

You are surrounded by all of it. You realize that don't you?[/QUOTE]

yeah i'm not doing any open cage fighting at 42 and recovering from knee surgery,but thanks. i mentioned before that foreigners coming to china will get whatever they want cause the teachers have adapted to training them,and they pay a **** load of money. but it is alright, my teacher said they don't teach fighting at this school. but he can teach me the application in private lessons. which i have to pay extra for,but i don't mind. so that is what i will do.

the point of this topic ,is that kung fu is being taught this way. not to foreigners taking short trips here paying a **** load of cash ,but to people who are chinese and live in china.

gwai lo goes learning xingyitaichibagua

4 years later

"WHERE IS REAL KUNG FU??!"

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Wiz,

I see your point. That is not the same for every school and all Chinese people in China. But yes for sure, that is the case many times. Just not always by any means.

I recommended those ideas because that is what I thought you were looking for from having read your posts. I was mistaken.

However, there are many schools, and lots near where you are, that teach apps, two man drills, and everything partner...from day one.

For example, if you go to basically any Southern Praying Mantis school in Guangdong or Hongkong, they will teach you two man drills right after warm ups. For many styles, it just doesn't make any sense to get into a form first, and some, not all, teachers know this.

You know Baguazhang, Hong Quan, and Shaolin, all are not really known well for their partner training?

Well sure

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    the point of this topic ,is that kung fu is being taught this way. not to foreigners taking short trips here paying a **** load of cash ,but to people who are chinese and live in china.
    Who really expects to learn a lot of kung fu on a week vacation? When I was at Shaolin, we'd have tourists roll up all the time. Heck, I was there when Sin The's group visited. Tourists always take their token lesson, or maybe even a few lessons, and pay exorbitant prices for it. Any local knows how to take a tourist anywhere in the world. That's not at all limited to the martial arts. But kung fu takes time. A short study trip, even a few months, only scratches the surface.

As for being Chinese, well, there's a certain advantage to having the cultural heritage. Personally, my upbringing definitely gave me a jump on those who didn't know squat about Chinese culture and made all sorts of faux pas. For example, I didn't wince at the delicacies served at special banquets. At the same time, I know plenty of non-Chinese that got much ****her than I ever did. There's is an advantage there too, as an earnest non-Chinese that gives plenty of face stands out amongst Western tourists.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Things have changed

I think Gene had been around long enough to know this but the way they teach even to the locals have changed over the years. There are enough wealthy Chinese in China today to justify "Western style" schools where American students and Chinese students are taught exactly the same way.

People teaching in the village courtyard with local "social workers" interpreting is a thing of the past. Not sure that's a good thing. I thinks things got left behind with the "Progress". Training is more accessible but it's not the same training. Am I making sense?

why are you still looking? go home.

update, i paid for the private lesson to learn the applications[150rmb per hour,very reasonable price],and had my first today. it was a great class and i feel satisfied. my only regret is the next generation won't get this. cause i asked my teacher out right about learning this stuff and pay extra for it. as i mentioned before they don't teach this stuff as part of the regular curriculum.

as for why don't i got home. cause i like living in china. it is interesting to have a class all in chinese,helps to learn about the culture which kung fu comes from. there are many other reasons as well.

Tao Yin made some good points. there is a lot of good kung fu out there, just a case of looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    my only regret is the next generation won't get this.
    Not from his class, but... so what? There are many other Shaolin teachers in the world who do teach more than just a dance.

i am just saying in china they tend to do things one way and one way only ,and this is the state of kung fu. if there are other schools out there teaching traditional fighting still it is most likely cause they are teaching foreigners coming from abroad to learn and paying a lot for it. as i said before i have been living here for 6 years ,i have seen a lot of teachers. some do a little application occasionally.most do none. and very few if any do any sparring.[not including sanda or shuai jiao]

Are you only looking at commercial schools?

Good Kungfu is in 民间. There are some good instructors even in schools but people who want to learn traditional Kungfu seriously don't usually go to schools.

please guys save the bull****,i have trained in all kind of places. actually this is the first school i have trained in.well the shuai jiao school in beijing was a school but for live in full time students that trained 6 days a week 4 hours a day.and out in the village in an army buncker. by the way they sparred and competed and all that.