Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun videos, share please :)

Wing chun videos, share please :)

Here is a video of GM Ip Ching (GM Yip Man's youngest son) doing chi sau, is a good watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnHlLiYmVXA

If you have a good wing chun video please post
    Last edited by hobbs; 11-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Looks terrible to me (imo) no structure just hand chasing at its best

JIm

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Looks terrible to me (imo) no structure just hand chasing at its best

JIm
    That is what Chi Sao is, isn't it. Just hand chasing? In order to bridge and control ones hands you pretty much have to stay close to them, and that probably requires you to chase them now and then. It is a form of hand grappling really, and it is easier to do on someone that has no clue as to what the heck you are doing.

As terrible as it might look, the big question here is, can you whip either one of them?
    Jackie Lee

Chi Sao is intended to develop sensitivity to an opponent's movement in order to dial in reactions. One of the major aspects of Wing Chun is sensing your opponent's energy so that you can deflect or redirect it in order to create the opportunity for a strike. It looks like hand chasing because one participant makes a move and the other moves to counter it. The intent is not to actually strike your opponent but learn how to create and destroy opportunities.

As to whipping either of them, well they wouldn't be using Chi Sao in a real altercation...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    That is what Chi Sao is, isn't it. Just hand chasing? In order to bridge and control ones hands you pretty much have to stay close to them, and that probably requires you to chase them now and then. It is a form of hand grappling really, and it is easier to do on someone that has no clue as to what the heck you are doing.

As terrible as it might look, the big question here is, can you whip either one of them?
    Hi

No imo chi sau is not chasing hands at all! I'm attacking the person not his hands (in training) there's no point looking for someones hands when I can actually exploit his center which in this example of chi sau both their centers are totally open!

With regard to your comment about "can I whip either one of them" with regard to yip ching hes an old man what a crazy question. Regard to sam kwok yes in about 2 seconds if I had to!

jim

ps here is a link to a video showing chi sau and general Ving Tsun in action and as its supposed to be Simple Direct and Efficient! unlike the sam kwok video. Im not a student of Bayer at all just using it as an example of how its supposed to be done keeping it real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YVmNnuSIA
    Last edited by jimhalliwell; 11-27-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling mistake.

Blog Entries
    Hi, gotta agree with Jim on this clip.

"Top level", ummmm....

What happened to attack the body not the hands?

Whats with all the "golden palming", using palm as bridge rather than forearm, not a good strategy imo.

No wonder people from different arts look at these kind of clips and shake their heads...

Here is one of GM Wan Kam Leung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM_KgCSMtMM

Blog Entries
    Wow, the difference between these two clips is like night and day!

Wan Kam Leung is showing nice robust chi sao with good root/structure. I love the fact that it doesnt look "pretty", normally a sign that the guys rolling are just co-operating with no resistance either side. Always enjoy watching his clips.

And he wears braces!

Quote Originally Posted by chris bougeard View Post
    Wow, the difference between these two clips is like night and day!

Wan Kam Leung is showing nice robust chi sao with good root/structure. I love the fact that it doesnt look "pretty", normally a sign that the guys rolling are just co-operating with no resistance either side. Always enjoy watching his clips.

And he wears braces!
    Yes wan kam leung looks as good as ever only one comment really its a pity the guys hes working with have no stance! They are sunk so low that's its impossible to project any forward energy and also its easy for wan kam to pull them around.

jim

Last edited by hobbs; 11-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Here's an 'interesting' one I stumbled upon today. Going to withhold my comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUT3j...eature=related
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Yes wan kam leung looks as good as ever only one comment really its a pity the guys hes working with have no stance! They are sunk so low that's its impossible to project any forward energy and also its easy for wan kam to pull them around.

jim
    Yep, id agree with the stance comment

Wing chun videos, share please :)

Kgledhill hass posted a ton of vids of Phil Bayer and his students doing competitive chi sao
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post

Hi

Do you really have to torture me with this soup mixing Chi sau nonsense? What you learn about Ving Tsun from doing chi sau like this I don't know! No wonder mma fighters look at this kind of crap and shake their heads I love Ving Tsun but im shaking my head just the same! People imo need to learn what is actual practical training and what is just a waste of your time and money! don't chase instructors because of their particular lineage go by what you see! and here I see nothing but rubbish!

Jim.

ps this is my opinion and could be mine only?