Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun videos, share please :)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Here is one from Jim Fungs school Sydney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfApla1RiA
    To be frank, this is pretty much a demo of everthing you shouldn't do in WC. And the knife defenses were aweful. I hope he's not charging $$ for this stuff.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Jim Fung school of Sydney demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtHwRrKbHk
    hilarious, one of the best laughs I've had in ages
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    hilarious, one of the best laughs I've had in ages
    I didn't find it funny I found it a little concerning I also think you have to consider that we (UK peeps) have had access to decent Wing Chun for over 40 years, and the earlier guys like Sifu Lau and even Sifu Tang were of a mainland flavour. Mix that in with some serious Ip Man knowledge and you have some pretty effective, practical no-nonsense interactive drills that other countries simply haven't even seen before. Well, not from the evidence I have seen anyway! Very basic stuff that is in need of an upgrade IMHHHHHO

As for the Pan Nam stuff, if you know your Wing Chun you will know what the guys were doing, just as in the Vietnamese clip. Problem is, not enough people know their Chun!!! Okay stuff with it's own purpose fme
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I didn't find it funny I found it a little concerning I also think you have to consider that we (UK peeps) have had access to decent Wing Chun for over 40 years, and the earlier guys like Sifu Lau and even Sifu Tang were of a mainland flavour. Mix that in with some serious Ip Man knowledge and you have some pretty effective, practical no-nonsense interactive drills that other countries simply haven't even seen before. Well, not from the evidence I have seen anyway! Very basic stuff that is in need of an upgrade IMHHHHHO

As for the Pan Nam stuff, if you know your Wing Chun you will know what the guys were doing, just as in the Vietnamese clip. Problem is, not enough people know their Chun!!! Okay stuff with it's own purpose fme

Hi what i find funny is that you have had access to good wing chun in the uk bar a very few exceptions your wrong! or the standard has got worse!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Hi what i find funny is that you have had access to good wing chun in the uk bar a very few exceptions your wrong! or the standard has got worse!

Jim
    I have no doubt that the 'public' standard has got worse or dwindled due to the average martial artist these days mixing things up like a chop suey meal, re-branding and selling the mashed up meal to anyone who will pay! But if you take Youtube to be the be-all-and-end-all of Wing Chun you are missing my point... many very very decent guys are here who do not promote themselves in that way at all.

I was only highlighting that we have a few lineages that have been here for years that have direct first hand influence from some of the mainland training because that is where they were from.

But wrong? What am I wrong about exactly Jim?
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 12-04-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I have no doubt that the 'public' standard has got worse or dwindled due to the average martial artist these days mixing things up like a chop suey meal, re-branding and selling the mashed up meal to anyone who will pay! But if you take Youtube to be the be-all-and-end-all of Wing Chun you are missing my point... many very very decent guys are here who do not promote themselves in that way at all.

I was only highlighting that we have a few lineages that have been here for years that have direct first hand influence from some of the mainland training because that is where they were from.

But wrong? What am I wrong about exactly Jim?
    No your are correct there are some good guys its a shame i can only count the numbers of good Ving Tsun/Wing Chun guys on one hand.

Jim.

No your are correct there are some good guys its a shame i can only count the numbers of good Ving Tsun/Wing Chun guys on one hand.

Jim.
    Ah! I see your point and agree

I consider myself very lucky to have met some of the eldest guys in the UK and they all keep themselves to themselves. Trained with a few diamonds too but I still consider myself to be very young in comparison
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Thumbs up

You guys do make me laugh

You do know and understand that Wing Chun as a system in itself actually existed BEFORE IP Man don't you??

I know he had a great impact on how us westerners train, but I have an appreciation for most things pre-1970's too and the Vietnam/Malayasian/Singapore schools all have this flavour... different but never wrong IMHO
    Well said. .
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    To be frank, this is pretty much a demo of everthing you shouldn't do in WC. And the knife defenses were aweful. I hope he's not charging $$ for this stuff.
    ?

Didn't see no knife defense in that vid.

I know one of Jim Fung's seniors. He's pretty good, and is also a pretty capable BJJ brown belt.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Well for example if im doing some kind of hand drill lets say chi sau my hands are always trying to control my partners centre and look for openings to attack all the time. Some of the examples above are just rolling round and mixing soup! Now before you jump on me I know chi sau is not fighting but it is the bridge between forms and fighting and to gain sensitivity in a practical way rather than creating rounded movements when linear ones are far more efficient.

Jim.
    But what defines efficiency in fight?

If someone has a different take on you to what chi-saio is, and uses that point of difference to be an effective fighter, then why is your style "more efficient"?

Tom Hanks raises hand in "Big."
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Just from looking at the first seconds of this clip I understand what they are doing, and am also aware that there are many many Wing Chun schools that probably never do anything like this. But I would ask everyone to look at what is being practised and tell me if they think that is chisau??

Because for me, and it's no disrespect to anyone elses ideas, this is not chisau training. I refer to this 'pressure testing' type platform as an interactive Looksau (some call Luksau and other mainland families may use the term 'kiusau' practise) which basically translates as Rotating Arm. A very particular Ip Man pracise fme and something only his older students seemed to have grasped, albeit all have slight differences.

This is also a practise that is less familiar in the mainland, but I see that Sifu Mark Hobbs uses this method and he is a student of GM Lun Gai (an earlier Ip Man Foshan student) which implies that it was taught in the earlier days too and not a HK modification (as some may think)

Nice clip
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Just from looking at the first seconds of this clip I understand what they are doing, and am also aware that there are many many Wing Chun schools that probably never do anything like this. But I would ask everyone to look at what is being practised and tell me if they think that is chisau??

Because for me, and it's no disrespect to anyone elses ideas, this is not chisau training. I refer to this 'pressure testing' type platform as an interactive Looksau (some call Luksau and other mainland families may use the term 'kiusau' practise) which basically translates as Rotating Arm. A very particular Ip Man pracise fme and something only his older students seemed to have grasped, albeit all have slight differences.

This is also a practise that is less familiar in the mainland, but I see that Sifu Mark Hobbs uses this method and he is a student of GM Lun Gai (an earlier Ip Man Foshan student) which implies that it was taught in the earlier days too and not a HK modification (as some may think)

Nice clip

Nice Clip

but means actual nothing no use to man or beast! some guy pulling and pushing a guy with no stance at all! great skill lmoa.

Jim