Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun videos, share please :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Nice Clip

but means actual nothing no use to man or beast! some guy pulling and pushing a guy with no stance at all! great skill lmoa.

Jim
    Did I say anyone there had 'great skill'?? No. This is basic stuff but it's from a very advanced idea specifically for Wing Chun students to use as a 'training tool'. Actually if you really want to get into it, it's specifically designed for the Sifu to use to pass on the knowledge of entry and sansau techniques! Not for student-to-student practise at all.

I don't think I have ever said that it will help anyone fight either, but can see where you're coming from. But FWIW it will help and does help those who make the fight theirs and use what tools and methods they have drilled against people that may be unfamiliar with such an approach...

Just an idea but have you got a clip of yourself training some Wing Chun?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Actually if you really want to get into it, it's specifically designed for the Sifu to use to pass on the knowledge of entry and sansau techniques! Not for student-to-student practise at all.

Ah secret techniques eh you've bought into that one have you? This guy looks like his centre is wide open infact totally open and would be easy to hit!! and with that structure would have a job entering a doorway never mind someone with a defence.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    ?

Didn't see no knife defense in that vid.

I know one of Jim Fung's seniors. He's pretty good, and is also a pretty capable BJJ brown belt.
    My bad, somehow I quoted the wrong clip .
    But now looking back at the one I did quote, I'd say it is pretty bad too. All of that walking around, chasing hands steering wheel chi sau stuff with no fwd energy has little to do with WC (IMO anyway, for what that's worth).

The first clip I misquoted for reference:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfApla1RiA
    ------------------

Here is the one I should have quoted and was replying to, and my original thoughts of "To be frank, this is pretty much a demo of everthing you shouldn't do in WC. And the knife defenses were aweful. I hope he's not charging $$ for this stuff." still stand:

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Jim Fung school of Sydney demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtHwRrKbHk
    Do you think these are good knife defenses?

I'm sure every school has a guy or two that's 'good', even if what they are teaching isn't. And I believe you when you say one of Fung's seniors is good. But that has nothing to do with the 'quality'/fantasy stuff that is being shown/taught in these 2 clips, regardless if one of their sihing/sibak are good or practices BJJ.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 12-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Nice Clip

but means actual nothing no use to man or beast! some guy pulling and pushing a guy with no stance at all! great skill lmoa.

Jim
    Jim
    Whilst i havent trained with the guys in that clip, i train with (when i stray back to WC) a senior to those chaps.
    As i mentioned in my previous post to you (did you not see it?) my take on the differences between the lineages/styles is HOW they want to achieve victory in a fight, ergo, the different take on chi-sao

Its a bit like comparing different styles of boxing, all the same techniques are there, just applied a bit differently.

FWIW, those guys are from TST line and when it comes to stucture and stance, ive found the good ones to be the best ive experienced.
    And , yes, ive trained plenty with the other lineages as well (and that includes your lot as well )

Actually, if you look at what they are doing it looks a bit like Alan Orrs stuff as well.

Did I say anyone there had 'great skill'?? No. This is basic stuff but it's from a very advanced idea specifically for Wing Chun students to use as a 'training tool'. Actually if you really want to get into it, it's specifically designed for the Sifu to use to pass on the knowledge of entry and sansau techniques! Not for student-to-student practise at all.
    Its control of the centre of gravity he's after, thats he's after

I don't think I have ever said that it will help anyone fight either, but can see where you're coming from. But FWIW it will help and does help those who make the fight theirs and use what tools and methods they have drilled against people that may be unfamiliar with such an approach...
    Bingo Spencer!! It's THEIR take on WC

Just an idea but have you got a clip of yourself training some Wing Chun?
    Youre quite the voyeur arent you

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    My bad, somehow I quoted the wrong clip .
    But now looking back at the one I did quote, I'd say it is pretty bad too. All of that walking around, chasing hands steering wheel chi sau stuff with no fwd energy has little to do with WC (IMO anyway, for what that's worth).

The first clip I misquoted for reference:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfApla1RiA
    ------------------

Here is the one I should have quoted and was replying to, and my original thoughts of "To be frank, this is pretty much a demo of everthing you shouldn't do in WC. And the knife defenses were aweful. I hope he's not charging $$ for this stuff." still stand:

Do you think these are good knife defenses?

I'm sure every school has a guy or two that's 'good', even if what they are teaching isn't. And I believe you when you say one of Fung's seniors is good. But that has nothing to do with the 'quality'/fantasy stuff that is being shown/taught in these 2 clips, regardless if one of their sihing/sibak are good or practices BJJ.

I am not a part of GM Jim Fungs school. That was one video they have heaps. I have trained under one of their boys. There are good and bad practitioners in every school and lineage. Depends on the person. I want this thread to be a video thread. Do you have a video?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Jim
    Whilst i havent trained with the guys in that clip, i train with (when i stray back to WC) a senior to those chaps.
    As i mentioned in my previous post to you (did you not see it?) my take on the differences between the lineages/styles is HOW they want to achieve victory in a fight, ergo, the different take on chi-sao

Its a bit like comparing different styles of boxing, all the same techniques are there, just applied a bit differently.

FWIW, those guys are from TST line and when it comes to stucture and stance, ive found the good ones to be the best ive experienced.
    And , yes, ive trained plenty with the other lineages as well (and that includes your lot as well )

Actually, if you look at what they are doing it looks a bit like Alan Orrs stuff as well.

Hi Glenn

Im not taking a pop at them but for me most of the vids posted these days on youtube are a very poor rendition of Wing Chun training and for me just don't seem to follow the first principle of being Simple direct and Efficient at all! and I have noticed that over my last 30 years of training that the standard has of wc has dropped its turned into a game of had chasing on the premise that this will build sensitivity etc so that's why we do it. Now it was a while ago but i think the first vid that was posted on this thread was of Yip ching and Sam kwok two fine examples imo of how not to do Wing Chun (chi sau) at all. Wing Chun is a fighting system and it needs drills to help with this for example bayer vids on chi sau etc.All his actions seem to me Direct Simple and efficient! now if i can see good in his approach i can see bad in others.

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Now i like this one we have actually found one lol
    one comment hes wearing tape on his fingers because pb does?
    if he is that's sad.One question as the guys attacks (guy with tape) why the sideways movements from time to time before he attacks? this when facing an opponent makes you very narrow and vulnerable to attack.

Jim.

Now i like this one we have actually found one lol
    one comment hes wearing tape on his fingers because pb does?
    if he is that's sad.One question as the guys attacks (guy with tape) why the sideways movements from time to time before he attacks? this when facing an opponent makes you very narrow and vulnerable to attack.

Jim.
    A lot of guys wear tape to avoid finger dislocation from intercepting directly with another doing same. I coach beginners heavily in curling thumbs and holding fingers together like a dagger. OR he already injured his fingers and is avoiding, etc...

The movement is for drilling the student to cut him off, not run after him. The tape guy ( Akis ) counters errors as the student refaces with open gates ( inside/outside ).

A lot of guys wear tape to avoid finger dislocation from intercepting directly with another doing same. I coach beginners heavily in curling thumbs and holding fingers together like a dagger. OR he already injured his fingers and is avoiding, etc...

The movement is for drilling the student to cut him off, not run after him. The tape guy ( Akis ) counters errors as the student refaces with open gates ( inside/outside ).

Hi

yes got it after looking again for me when facing an opponent lets say square on i never narrow my structure but yes its for training.

ta

Jim

Hi

yes got it after looking again for me when facing an opponent lets say square on i never narrow my structure but yes its for training.

ta

Jim
    We have a lot of angling and movement in our fighting ideas.

I am not a part of GM Jim Fungs school. That was one video they have heaps. I have trained under one of their boys. There are good and bad practitioners in every school and lineage. Depends on the person.
    Ok.

I want this thread to be a video thread. Do you have a video?
    Um, there are videos on this thread and I was commenting on them. Was I not supposed to? And, I did share a link (not mine), so I don't see the problem.
    Maybe you could just list out your entire ruleset for 'your thread' before-hand if you feel some of us are not playing fair
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 12-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

We have a lot of angling and movement in our fighting ideas.

I think everybody does however in lap sau even though we are turned we are lets say close to square with each other (i know we are turned) if you're opponent suddenly moved sideways (just sideways! not forward or back) by a few inches they would not be able to present as stronger structure, they loose their width so to speak and would be hit.Thats why i don't like sideways movement for the sake of it.

Cheers Jim.

ps I'll do a video then you can pull it apart.