Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun videos, share please :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    I think everybody does however in lap sau even though we are turned we are lets say close to square with each other (i know we are turned) if you're opponent suddenly moved sideways (just sideways! not forward or back) by a few inches they would not be able to present as stronger structure, they loose their width so to speak and would be hit.Thats why i don't like sideways movement for the sake of it.

Cheers Jim.

ps I'll do a video then you can pull it apart.
    They could escape, slip as a boxer, fall, so we treat it as cutting them off regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Hi Glenn

Im not taking a pop at them but for me most of the vids posted these days on youtube are a very poor rendition of Wing Chun training and for me just don't seem to follow the first principle of being Simple direct and Efficient at all! and I have noticed that over my last 30 years of training that the standard has of wc has dropped its turned into a game of had chasing on the premise that this will build sensitivity etc so that's why we do it. Now it was a while ago but i think the first vid that was posted on this thread was of Yip ching and Sam kwok two fine examples imo of how not to do Wing Chun (chi sau) at all. Wing Chun is a fighting system and it needs drills to help with this for example bayer vids on chi sau etc.All his actions seem to me Direct Simple and efficient! now if i can see good in his approach i can see bad in others.

Jim.
    Fair enough Jim, and FWIW im not a fan of that sam kwok clip either.

My one concern with some of the WC i see is that its almost too simple or perhaps one dimensional. All the eggs in one basket so to say

I look at the PB clips and sure, he is obviously very skilled, but that is against his own chaps who are trying to replicate what he is teaching.

My own experience with the WSL guys i did some training with was that they were easy to flank as they seemed , IMO, slightly over focused on the centre line.

So, yes, i think the system is very good, but there is different takes on it (WC)that might not seem so "efficient" so to speak but are still just as effective.

That make sense?

[QUOTE=GlennR;1200367]Fair enough Jim, and FWIW im not a fan of that sam kwok clip either.

My one concern with some of the WC i see is that its almost too simple or perhaps one dimensional. All the eggs in one basket so to say

I look at the PB clips and sure, he is obviously very skilled, but that is against his own chaps who are trying to replicate what he is teaching.

My own experience with the WSL guys i did some training with was that they were easy to flank as they seemed , IMO, slightly over focused on the centre line.

So, yes, i think the system is very good, but there is different takes on it (WC)that might not seem so "efficient" so to speak but are still just as effective.

That make sense?[/QUOTE--------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    Hi Glenn- your comments apply to lots of wc but there are often problems of over generalization
    when talking about what wc-ers do. Some good wc-ers I know are not easily flanked. Some wc=ers may have a limited understanding of the center line. Some wc-ers just try to replicate what they saw their teacher do without having a good handle on concepts involved.

I'm not taking a pop at them
    Well, actually you were.

Video IMO is pretty worthless for trying to promote TCMA. Everyone wants to find some flaw with which to pull them apart.

Alan Orr's vids IMO are among the best and they still get a pasting.

It seems that reall good WC is impossible to capture on video. Hopefully not because it doesn't exist anywhere.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

On the opening of this clip, the younger guy; new student (36) thought he could touch Peter’s chest (55) using a one two without being countered. Pete is my favorite student and best friend; we’re together about 5 times a week. This clip features another favorite student also, ‘Marcus’.

http://youtu.be/cOOxr_SIr6c

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    On the opening of this clip, the younger guy; new student (36) thought he could touch Peter’s chest (55) using a one two without being countered. Pete is my favorite student and best friend; we’re together about 5 times a week. This clip features another favorite student also, ‘Marcus’.

@2:00 the two guys arent even doing bong sao ? no energy exchange ? whats the idea being developed ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    @2:00 the two guys arent even doing bong sao ? no energy exchange ? whats the idea being developed ?
    The energy is there (you would have to feel it), I had to modify my bong because his fook was so high. In some instants over my head and he was told to hit me; and I was not about to let that happen, unless I wanted him too. I’m sorry, had to do what I had to do. But next time I’ll keep it the way you like.

Take care,

The energy is there (you would have to feel it), I had to modify my bong because his fook was so high. In some instants over my head and he was told to hit me; and I was not about to let that happen, unless I wanted him too. I’m sorry, had to do what I had to do. But next time I’ll keep it the way you like.

Take care,
    No @ 2:00 your not doing bong either and the guys smaller than you....?

Please accept my apologies

Again,

The energy is there (you would have to feel it), I had to modify my bong because his ‘fook’ was so high. In some instants over my head and he was told to hit me; and I was not about to let that happen, unless I wanted him too. I’m sorry, had to do what I had to do. But next time I’ll keep it the way you like.

That’s all I can give you is the truth. I messed up real bad and have very limited skills, but I won’t stop trying.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.

His ‘fook’ was so high, and I just refuse to raise my shoulders to make that bong; cutting my center of gravity in half; my stance is more Important (to me).

Again, I am sorry.

His ‘fook’ was so high, and I just refuse to raise my shoulders to make that bong; cutting my center of gravity in half; my stance is more Important (to me).

Again, I am sorry.
    2 minutes into the clip...are we talking the same thing ?

Do you mean high over your arm? That would be more reason to make a complete bong-sau. If he had any energy in his fuk-sau it would easily collapse whatever half-structure you made there and turned into a strike. But why would you ever need to raise your shoulder to make bong-sau?

Smile

I’m not really good at all, I’m afraid of my own shadow and don’t go outside much, but I thank you for the help.

And I don't have a clue on what I'm doing at all.

Last edited by Ali. R; 12-09-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Smile

O...k...

Again,

The energy is there (you would have to feel it), I had to modify my bong because his ‘fook’ was so high. In some instants over my head and he was told to hit me; and I was not about to let that happen, unless I wanted him too. I’m sorry, had to do what I had to do. But next time I’ll keep it the way you like.

That’s all I can give you is the truth. I messed up real bad and have very limited skills, but I won’t stop trying.

Take care,
    Watching the clip at 2 mins which is the spot KG originally critiqued, the small guy's fook sao is nowhere near head height of either player and if he was genuinely trying to hit you then his school report should read "must try harder"
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook