Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting P90x

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Because I don't want to spend the money.
    Then use something else. Find a rock, throw in a few doubled up pillowcases. Whateversclever. There really is NO excuse. You can always find something heavy to use. Improvise man! Get elastics, they are only like 2 bucks each.

Don't tell me you have nothing heavy at your disposal. Got kids? Throw them around.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.

for the luv of sweet Jebus, do not attempt the yoga section w/out making sure ur insurance premiums are paid and maybe put your orthopedist on speed dial;

seriously, the way that guy shows yoga is just downright irresponsible, and doing the postures if you are not already reasonably fit will just create all kinds of problems...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    for the luv of sweet Jebus, do not attempt the yoga section w/out making sure ur insurance premiums are paid and maybe put your orthopedist on speed dial;

seriously, the way that guy shows yoga is just downright irresponsible, and doing the postures if you are not already reasonably fit will just create all kinds of problems...
    So you think you can just pop up, after ignoring us for days, and just start giving everyone good advice?

Just like that, huh?

Lol! Was actually going to start bouldering again on the yoga days
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

So...this stuff is too easy. After 2 years of solid lifting I barely break a sweat except on the plymetrics. Should have known that when I started though
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    So...this stuff is too easy. After 2 years of solid lifting I barely break a sweat except on the plymetrics. Should have known that when I started though
    Most people in decent shape can still get a good workout out of it, of course you can probably get a better one by uping the intensity and doing it in 45 or even 30 min instead of the 60.
    Its a great workout for those that need motivation to workout and for those that don't know how to workout on their own.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You might be interested in something more gymnastics-based. People over at http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/ can help suggest some basic routines (read the faq there first). They generally do not recommend P90x for building strength, only for endurance. Overcoming Gravity & Building the Gymnastic Body are two resources that are often referred to there; and the authors themselves will often answer questions.

Reddit for fitness advice?

So do you workout before or after you smoke all that dank ass weed and eat a pound of bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    They generally do not recommend P90x for building strength, only for endurance.
    Unless you are completely deconditioned (which would include the majority of redditors) it won't build either.

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    You might be interested in something more gymnastics-based. People over at http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/ can help suggest some basic routines (read the faq there first). They generally do not recommend P90x for building strength, only for endurance. Overcoming Gravity & Building the Gymnastic Body are two resources that are often referred to there; and the authors themselves will often answer questions.
    Sommer's stuff is okay. That forum is like any other training forum on the web, some useful stuff buried under a bunch of group training cookie cutter nonsense.

Unless you're juicing (as I suspect many of the prominent people who are in the BG fitness cult are) the progress is going to be slooooooooooooooooooooow.

I followed the GB site WODS for a while and didn't really make any progress. Once I started to pay attention to my own strengths and weakness and picked a few skills that I wanted to focus on, I did much much better.

This cookie cutter group training is the worst; you really need to tailor your programming to your own goals based on your existing strengths and weaknesses.

This book is a good start. Kind of has its own cult and is somewhat poorly written but it contains actual, you know, exercise science. Its all about periodization and tailoring your programming to fit your individual goals based on where your strengths and weaknesses are.

http://ultimatemmaconditioning.com/