Thread: Advent Challenge

Advent Challenge

Tomorrow begins the season of Advent in the Catholic Church. It is a time of waiting and preparation for Christmas. Advent begins four Sundays prior to Christmas and ends on Christmas Day. Advent lasts for a little over four weeks.

As a warm up for the Lenten Challenge, I would like to issue the Advent Challenge.

Beginning tomorrow and through Christmas, in spite of the business and general insanity of the season, find a way to train every day. Do what you have to; move heaven and earth, but train every day. Even if it's just a little. No excuses. There is nothing religious about it unless you want it to be. Four weeks starting tomorrow and ending on Christmas is just easy to track.

These challenges are a form of Shuugyou Renshuu, or "Austere Training."

I plan on tracking my progress each day on Lift.do, where I've created an "Advent Challenge" habit.

Won't you join me?

i will join you. this is my schedule

0400 - Morning Prayer - Led by the Company Chaplain, the Space Marines renew their oaths to the Emperor and the company relics are displayed. This time is also used to give out orders, announcements and other administrative tasks.
    0500 - Morning Firing Rites - The Space Marines engage in target practice with their personal and squad weaponry, awards and punishments are dispensed for consistently good or poor accuracy respectively.
    0700 - Battle Practice - Generally this is close quarters oriented, however live fire or hazardous environment training may be done instead (or as well).
    1200 - Midday Prayer - In addition to prayer any injured Space Marines can report to the Apothecary.
    1300 - Midday Meal - Normally local wildlife killed during the morning activities.
    1315 - Tactical Indoctrination - This can take many forms, from information on a new alien species or technology to strategy. A debrief of the morning's battle is common as well.
    1500 - Battle Practice - This focuses more on combined tactics in conjunction with vehicles, Dreadnoughts and devastator squads and normally includes a trial of a new tactic introduced during the tactical indoctrination.
    2000 - Evening Prayer - In addition to prayer, gene-seed testing may occur at this point.
    2100 - Evening Meal - A feast (by normal human standards) is provided by the Chapter serfs, and some Chapter Masters may allow alcohol to be consumed.
    2130 - Night Firing Exercises - If the chapter is based on a planet where there is no perceptible night or they are based on a fleet, firing exercises are under taken in exotic environments such as underwater, through dense fog or smoke or in zero gravity.
    2315 - Maintenance Rituals - Each Space Marine is expected to maintain his own power armour and weapons, and it is often checked by the Chapter's Techmarines.
    2345 - Free Time - Space Marines are permitted this time to reflect upon their duty to The Emperor, however many Chapter Masters regard free time as a frivolous waste, and a dangerous distraction in the extreme.
    0000 - Rest Period - Space Marines are allocated 4 hours in which to sleep.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Advent Space Commando training rocks, Bwang. You fuuny guy,mostly. Live neAR THE op BUT WILL HAVE TO PASS ON THE BOND. do not mix reeligion and gongfu, even if it sounds Japaneezy.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Someone's been playing too much HALO 4!

Warhammer 40k I think. Yes that makes me a nerd
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Warhammer 40k I think. Yes that makes me a nerd
    I actually thought that, but HALO 4 is the trending game now. I wanted to show how hip I am, so I showed off my knowledge of pop culture.

I am cool you know!

Currently unaffiliated with a martial arts program, but will accept your training challenge with a general physical fitness agenda. Min 60 minutes per day.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

HH observing advent?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    Tomorrow begins the season of Advent in the Catholic Church. It is a time of waiting and preparation for Christmas. Advent begins four Sundays prior to Christmas and ends on Christmas Day. Advent lasts for a little over four weeks.

As a warm up for the Lenten Challenge, I would like to issue the Advent Challenge.

Beginning tomorrow and through Christmas, in spite of the business and general insanity of the season, find a way to train every day. Do what you have to; move heaven and earth, but train every day. Even if it's just a little. No excuses. There is nothing religious about it unless you want it to be. Four weeks starting tomorrow and ending on Christmas is just easy to track.

These challenges are a form of Shuugyou Renshuu, or "Austere Training."

I plan on tracking my progress each day on Lift.do, where I've created an "Advent Challenge" habit.

Won't you join me?
    To my regular program I will add this:
    A session of push-ups, chin-ups, one-legged squats and crunches ( on top of what I already do).
    Everyday.
    Goal will be to double how many reps you can do now in each exercise by the 25th.
    EX: If you can do 100 push ups now without stopping, try for 200 by the 25th.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Of course it is religious, in that sneaky Catholic way.

It is an advent challenge until Christmas.

I will train in Tenchu.

HH Never misses a party..

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Actually Gene the first thing that came to mind when I saw this Advent thread was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ht4Ei3pdR8
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

There's only a few days left to go in the Advent Challenge. Of those of you who are participating, how is your training coming?

I have been steady.

On one of the other forums I read, an Advent Challenge participant had recently competed his own personal 1000 day challenge! I am truly an amoeba.

I am now inclined to see just how long I can keep the streak going.

The Advent Challenge is over.

Merry Christmas everyone.