Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Pak Sau

Thoughts on Pak Sau

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    That was JKD. I didn't see what I would call Pak Sao. I am sure that they practiced that scene for a while before filming it.
    Jackie Lee

X-ed hand Pak Sau is absolutely Wing Chun. It is a part of chi sau training. What Bruce used was Wing Chun, and not JKD. Watch it carefully in slow motion.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

I think its a flash move, from a movie, with some entertainment value.

.....til it's done to you.

Scene from a movie, JKD not WC, wrong starting position, blah blah blah ...

That movie scene still kicks a$$ (literally).

I am sure that they practiced that scene for a while before filming it.
    No sh!t, Sherlock.

I'm sure your training involves a bit of practice and repetition too.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

My response was actually directed towards Jackie.

And why isnt it an example of Wing Chun? I think Bruce Lee did a good job with that one. X pak sau is a great technique. I would love to do that to someone given the opportunity.

Great martial cinema for it's time....

Leaving aside that its a well rehearsed movie clip, I think its pretty poor as an example of a pak sau entry. BL's footwork is awful, he over commits his bodyweight and is only punching with his arm. If you only concentrate on the hand speed it looks good but if you look a bit closer it falls apart.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

i rather like the post...I understand what they mean by weight displacement and body structure and footwork...But in the same token its very good way to illustrate that Bruce LEE utilize the ESSENCE of PAK DA in this opening scene.

Although one would argue in actual application you need to apply it different..i think its a good video showing basic pak sau application...Of course you can add any strike you want a sun fist, a hook, a jab, a hammer fist, etc?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    i rather like the post...I understand what they mean by weight displacement and body structure and footwork...But in the same token its very good way to illustrate that Bruce LEE utilize the ESSENCE of PAK DA in this opening scene.

Although one would argue in actual application you need to apply it different..i think its a good video showing basic pak sau application...Of course you can add any strike you want a sun fist, a hook, a jab, a hammer fist, etc?
    Agree!!

I'm still a Bruce Lee fan, and I cannot think of anyone else who did as much for Wing Chun. People like to talk cr@p about him, criticize his techniques, but the truth is - he would have kicked the asses of most of the armchair warriors on this board without breaking a sweat.

My SiFu told me that one of the things Yip Man admired about Bruce was that he had an incredible work ethic in regards to training. If only everyone trained half as hard.

In that crossing hands with Wall in Enter the Dragon-it was a beautiful move.He adapted wing chun for the requirements of the movie- nothing wrong with that.

I'm still a Bruce Lee fan, and I cannot think of anyone else who did as much for Wing Chun. People like to talk cr@p about him, criticize his techniques, but the truth is - he would have kicked the asses of most of the armchair warriors on this board without breaking a sweat.

My SiFu told me that one of the things Yip Man admired about Bruce was that he had an incredible work ethic in regards to training. If only everyone trained half as hard.
    100% correct. What Joy said also.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    My response was actually directed towards Jackie.

And why isnt it an example of Wing Chun? I think Bruce Lee did a good job with that one. X pak sau is a great technique. I would love to do that to someone given the opportunity.

Great martial cinema for it's time....

It just isn't. It was strictly for the movie. JKD is just a modified form of his wing chun, but he was also not that fast. Some scenes were sped up and they used bamboo against ripe watermelons for sound effects. Crossed hands could lead to all sorts of mishaps where you could be jerked and trapped just to get a face full of fist.
    Strictly for the movie fight scene. He stood in front of a mirror for hours at a time practicing for that speed, and I am guessing that he would not actually be able to pull that off outside the movie set.
    Jackie Lee

It's just a movie guys. It's scripted and has nothing as far as real combative value. Now cut out the Bruce Lee circle jerk and discuss something worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It just isn't. It was strictly for the movie. JKD is just a modified form of his wing chun, but he was also not that fast. Some scenes were sped up and they used bamboo against ripe watermelons for sound effects. Crossed hands could lead to all sorts of mishaps where you could be jerked and trapped just to get a face full of fist.
    Strictly for the movie fight scene. He stood in front of a mirror for hours at a time practicing for that speed, and I am guessing that he would not actually be able to pull that off outside the movie set.
    Okay, granted - it was a movie with sound affects, but to say that Bruce Lee was'nt fast would be laughable. Bruce Lee was very fast. Speed was one of Bruce's best attributes on and off the screen.

And to say "I would'nt do this because he can do that, and this can happen, and that could happen." is strictly nonsense. In a real fight ANYTHING can happen, you just have to be the person MAKING it happen.

And the nucleus of JKD is Wing Chun, at least when Bruce was doing it!