Thread: Old World Shaolin

Old World Shaolin

We have updated our website.
    www.shaolinwushu.com
    cheers,
    rik zak

Nice site, I didn't know that you had one.
    I have a question about the picture of 'subdue the dragon and tame the tiger.'
    The story referenced on your homepage, where can I read more about it?

Bai Ma Quan
    We have one called Bai Ma Xia Shan a form of di gong quan, I wonder if there is any relationship.
    I had made a hypothesis that Bai Ma refers to General White Horse from this story which also dates back to the Yuan Dynasty.

From Story of the Western Chamber.

A Wild Monk Gives Vent to A Murderous Heart
    A monk stepped forward,' I dare.’ This was Monk Benevolent Perception who begins by describing his lust for battle.

These vegetable stuffed buns at the temple are really tasteless. No need to bake, fry or roast those 5000 traitors. The hot blood from their throats will slake my thirst for a time. Their raw hearts, lungs and livers will temporarily stave off my hunger.’

‘What if they won’t let you pass?’ Asks Student Zhang.

Those far off, with giant steps, I will sweep away with my iron staff;
    Those nearby, with a flick of the wrist, I will cut down with my prohibition’s knife ( a small religious knife).
    The small ones-I’ll pull them up and give them a toe kick!
    The big ones-I’ll squash them down and trample their skulls!
    With a single angry stare, roaring and crashing, I’ll roil the breakers in the ocean;
    With a single wave of the hand, thundering and smashing, I’ll shake the cliffs in the mountains.
    My feet will trample until the axis of the earth trembles, rattling apart;
    My hand will pull until the gate of heaven collapses, splitting asunder!

And so, Monk Benevolent Perception takes the letter to General White Horse.

Entering the Sea of Awareness

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Nice site, I didn't know that you had one.
    I have a question about the picture of 'subdue the dragon and tame the tiger.'
    The story referenced on your homepage, where can I read more about it?
    Entering the Sea of Awareness
    Its a Buddhist term: 降龍 To subdue dragons, e.g. 降龍鉢 to compel a dragon to accept an almsbowl as did the Buddha; 降龍伏虎 to subdue dragons and subjugate tigers.

Also see other meanings:
    http://www.baike.com/wiki/降龙伏虎
    Cheers,
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Very nice set, it has many similarities to a two man set in our tradition called Bai Ma Shuang Yan. there is picture of two of my student doing doing this contact on my home page. The single set called Bai Ma Xia Shan that has been passed down to us is a 'long fist' set but the story associated with it however is, quite different.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks for the link for dragon-tiger, I never knew about the relationship to ancient xiang-qi. My wife taught the kids, probably not the ancient version, I knew I should have learned it with them.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Very nice set, it has many similarities to a two man set in our tradition called Bai Ma Shuang Yan. The single set called Bai Ma Xia Shan that has been passed down to us is a 'long fist' set but the story associated with it however is, quite different.
    r.
    Bai Ma Shuang Yan, could have been an abbreviation for Bai Ma Xia Shan Shuang Yan, sorry, just thinking out loud here.
    It is said that Bai Ma Xia Shan is the 2nd set and the first being Xiao Wu Shou, also known as Lian Wu Zhang 連五掌 (Demo), Here is a version done the way that I learned it, this is my shidi performing.

This form is also done as a partner set.

Now, I am really curious about your longfist version of [I]Bai Ma Xia Shan[/I and Bai Ma Shuang Yan.

That is right, it is:
    Bai Ma Xia Shan Shuang Yan 白馬下山雙演.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Xiao Wu Shou

Hi Tainan Mantis;
    Can you send me the Chinese characters for this set.

小五手 i.e. little five hand?

2nd set and the first being Xiao Wu Shou,
    thanks,
    r.

Thanks for the link for dragon-tiger, I never knew about the relationship to ancient xiang-qi. My wife taught the kids, probably not the ancient version, I knew I should have learned it with them.

Bai Ma Shuang Yan, could have been an abbreviation for Bai Ma Xia Shan Shuang Yan, sorry, just thinking out loud here.
    It is said that Bai Ma Xia Shan is the 2nd set and the first being Xiao Wu Shou, also known as Lian Wu Zhang 連五掌 (Demo), Here is a version done the way that I learned it, this is my shidi performing.

This form is also done as a partner set.

Now, I am really curious about your longfist version of [I]Bai Ma Xia Shan[/I and Bai Ma Shuang Yan.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-23-2012 at 07:59 PM.