Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Has MMA peaked?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Pankration IS a martial art. A very old style. Pancrase is a promotion.
    Technically pankration WAS a martial art and any of the current iterations of it equate to something like HEMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Perhaps this is the cause????

"if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I'm just saying that if you didn't see skill and weren't entertained or intellectually stimulated by it, then clearly you aren't seeing what I was seeing. Simple, no?
    Not really, I had the advantage of not having to see past a huge hard on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    Not really, I had the advantage of not having to see past a huge hard on.
    lol

Honestly tho, I wasn't bored because I understood what and why and I found it fascinating in a time when you rarely had the opportunity to see such things without a binding rule set. Yeah it was slow, but it was real. But if that bothers you, you would hate the mundials. Some bjj matches can last an hour, longer even. Mos def not something you would wanna see if you are mostly interested in high kicks and massive KO's. It's a whole diff approach.

But then I'm the kind of guy that can sit thru Bachs 3rd suite and not fall asleep. I appreciate subtleties. Alot. Prolly why I like physics so much.

Latest Ratings Up from last weekend

"if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

When you see people plowing through guards like a snowmobile through fresh powder, I really lose respect for the "Chess game" those two gave us. Gracie was never the same since. Even BJJ needed to adapt to MMA.

When you see people plowing through guards like a snowmobile through fresh powder, I really lose respect for the "Chess game" those two gave us. Gracie was never the same since. Even BJJ needed to adapt to MMA.
    Come on.

Many have adapted their BJJ to MMA. Come on, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I think that who the UFC is marketing to, I think that the UFC has come close to peaking in the US. But, the UFC isn't all there is to MMA worldwide, so I see other areas growing in other countries.
    This ….i mean I know its hard for some Americans to understand but America isn’t the centre of the universe and the UFC isn’t MMA its one organisation, an organisation which has a massive share of the market and which grew rapidly (maybe too rapidly) and is now paying that price in terms of too many events and two few marketable names

But MMA in China, the rest of Asia, , Africa and Europe is growing strong, as it is in the amateur ranks in the USA

Has the UFC peaked? probably in the states yes, but its hardly declining anywhere, its on several major US networks I believe, in the UK they just had their first ever live event on one of the 5 major channels

The fact is MMA is growing stronger especially in the grass roots than ever before, attend any amateur event and you will see a packed card and big audiences

As to how to change the UFC well they could include a TCMA only league, but I suspect they wouldn’t get enough takers to make it a go

Come on.

Many have adapted their BJJ to MMA. Come on, now.
    I was speaking in the past tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    This ….i mean I know its hard for some Americans to understand but America isn’t the centre of the universe and the UFC isn’t MMA its one organisation, an organisation which has a massive share of the market and which grew rapidly (maybe too rapidly) and is now paying that price in terms of too many events and two few marketable names

But MMA in China, the rest of Asia, , Africa and Europe is growing strong, as it is in the amateur ranks in the USA

Has the UFC peaked? probably in the states yes, but its hardly declining anywhere, its on several major US networks I believe, in the UK they just had their first ever live event on one of the 5 major channels

The fact is MMA is growing stronger especially in the grass roots than ever before, attend any amateur event and you will see a packed card and big audiences

As to how to change the UFC well they could include a TCMA only league, but I suspect they wouldn’t get enough takers to make it a go

Yeah, it seems kind of silly to judge the whole sport based on the numbers from one promotion.

I was speaking in the past tense.
    Ah, my bad. Yes, I agree. Everyone needed to adapt. Still are. And if we are lucky, they will always be adapting to new ideas. MMA may not be a new born baby, but it's mos def an infant. We will see. Personally, I think people like Mooyingmantis will be eating their words. Not that they will ever admit any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    Out of curiosity would you consider pankration a martial art or martial sport?
    It's usage in ancient Greece was always in the context of sports. Yes, you can use wrestling and striking in battle but the term "pankration" always was in reference to the sporting events. The sport and it's techniques died out long ago.

Jim Arvantis, admits that he looked and read about Pankration and took pieces of modern martial styles to create a style that he felt embodied the "all powers" approach or boxing/wrestling like the ancient sport.

Since he adapted his approach using martial arts to create a martial system to protect yourself, then I would say Modern Pankration is a martial art.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Sport vs. Art

Sport
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
    4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
    5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
    Art
    1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
    2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection. See fine art, commercial art.
    3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
    4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
    5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
    I don't see why these two have to be mutually exclusive. You can have art competitions. You can art in sport.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Would sport not by definition be art?

Art is expression. Art is emotion.

The two terms are just descriptive of different things.
    To refer to the "sport" is to refer to the fact of it.
    While, referring to the "art" you are referring to the thing that the fact is made of.