Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has MMA peaked?

Sport combat has always had it's "niche" market in terms of consisteant fans.
    Sure movies help, Boxing became even more mainstream with the Rocky movies and Stallone loving boxing, star power brings out other stars and we saw that with the UFC ( and still do at certain events).
    But what sustains any sport is the "hard core" fans that stick with it regardless and MMA has that already.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sport combat has always had it's "niche" market in terms of consisteant fans.
    Sure movies help, Boxing became even more mainstream with the Rocky movies and Stallone loving boxing, star power brings out other stars and we saw that with the UFC ( and still do at certain events).
    But what sustains any sport is the "hard core" fans that stick with it regardless and MMA has that already.
    Yeah, but MMA just looks stupid and impractical when it's used in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    Sorry dude, 30 minutes of Shamrock and Gracie manhugging was BORING!!!
    And you clearly do not have an affinity for grappling. Many people feel differently than you do. People who know what they are looking at. You see man hugging, I see high level grappling. Maybe you just don't have enough perspective to truly appreciate what happened there.

Lay and pray is weak tho, I'll give you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Grappling is cool when you can see someone working for a technical submission and his opponent trying to intelligently defend and counter...when it's just "lay and pray" it sucks. Although if your a causal observer who doesn't understand what is going on I could see how submission grappling would be boring, but most real fight fans can see the difference...

As to standing them up, yeah if they're working let them work...don't rob someone who's spent 3 minutes earning that position, but if they're just hugging waiting for the clock to run out then stand them up. I really don't notice too many unjustified stand ups in UFC and when you do see it, seems like it's toward the end of the last round of the headlining fights...you know they're just hoping for a last minute KO...not fair to the fighters, but the fans like it...
    I find the worst breaks are on the fence. I think there needs to be a line drawn between the sport and what needs to be done to profit. I don't wanna see it gutted just so a few greedy wannabe bonesmokers can get rich.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The ground grappling is no different from the stand up grappling. Sometime a stand up grappling may last for over 1 hour. When 2 person's body tangle, none of them can break the other person's grips. None of them can apply any technique, both just wait and hope the other person may make mistake so he can take advantage on. When this happen, it will be very boring to watch.

http://imageshack.us/a/img859/982/deadlock.png
    You don't see that as much without the Gi, John. Yeah it happens, but after a few minutes and dudes get sweaty it makes it really hard to grip fight. And you can't hole the shorts. So this point is really a non-issue in MMA. In BJJ tourneys, for sure. But then you need to be patient if you want to be or appreciate a ground fighter.

I think that has a lot to do with why SJ doesn't do much on the ground. Aside from the obvious cultural bias towards standup, that is.

And in Chinese style grip fighting you can still throw coz you're on your feet. So the grip stalemate isn't as bad as it is for BJJ on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I find the worst breaks are on the fence. I think there needs to be a line drawn between the sport and what needs to be done to profit. I don't wanna see it gutted just so a few greedy wannabe bonesmokers can get rich.
    I'll agree with that..when they're up against the cage, one fighter generally has a dominant position...it isn't right to let the other one off the hook just to see some quick action. Like I say, the only time I agree with separating is if both parties are resting and it's obvious no-one is trying to advance position.

I get why they do it, but it's not right.

Like I say, the only time I agree with separating is if both parties are resting and it's obvious no-one is trying to advance position.

Like Shamrock v. Gracie.......

I'll agree with that..when they're up against the cage, one fighter generally has a dominant position...it isn't right to let the other one off the hook just to see some quick action. Like I say, the only time I agree with separating is if both parties are resting and it's obvious no-one is trying to advance position.

Word. But even then. Under the current rule set, if you are a wicked wrestler and nothing more, what else can ya do, right! It's boring and I don't like when it happens but I do understand it. Better a boring win than an average loss when it's your career. Some guys are just so one dimensional but hope to improve along the way. In any sport there will be lackluster events.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    And you clearly do not have an affinity for grappling. Many people feel differently than you do. People who know what they are looking at. You see man hugging, I see high level grappling. Maybe you just don't have enough perspective to truly appreciate what happened there.

Lay and pray is weak tho, I'll give you that much.
    I saw two guys who were too afraid to move on each other. When others with skill moved without hesitation. At least Shamrock clocked him once on the way down. Falling back on an appeal of authority has always been a weak argument. "Clearly" next.......
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 12-11-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Almost all the rule changes came about as a result to get MMA in America legalized and sanctioned. I don't forsee them going back to the other rules or the Pride rules.

I have literally been watching the UFC since the first event and when I could get them Pride as well.

I think the biggest problem that the UFC has is lack of a deep talent pool and shorter career spans. Also, due to competing organizations, the UFC has lost out on a lot of big fights that the fans wanted to see (Fedor v. Couture for example). The next issue, is that of money. The athletes don't get paid a huge sum of money and make most of their money through endorsements and other contracts. Chuck Liddell is the UFC's top earner (through the last UFC on Fuel; Le vs. Franklin) at 4.3 million total for 29 fights. Pacman got 30million for his last fight alone.

I think that who the UFC is marketing to, I think that the UFC has come close to peaking in the US. But, the UFC isn't all there is to MMA worldwide, so I see other areas growing in other countries.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Here is my idea... make it game in an closed out urban environment with cameras everywhere, so don't miss the action.
    Have weapons available in different areas but they have to get the weapons via an obstacle course ala Ninja Warrior. Now the weapons would be stun weapons that could be used as knives, swords, and others as staffs, etc.
    A very limited amount of armors and shields will also be available.

The participants would encounter each other an engage in hand to hand combat, weapons against empty hands, weapons vs weapons, etc. in specific locations. The participants would use non lethal force but are able to use whatever tactics would allow them to win their matches. Each match would last 15 straight minutes no breaks. If another opponent comes in proximity they would also have the opportunity to jump in... join forces with another player or fight everybody. In the end there can only be only one like Highlander anyways so no matter the alliances they will have fight each other.

Only one participant will win once all others have been "offed"...

Heck make a 30 day thing with limited food, water, etc like Survivor.

NOw, that would be a show I would watch...lol
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    Here is my idea... make it game in an closed out urban environment with cameras everywhere, so don't miss the action.
    Have weapons available in different areas but they have to get the weapons via an obstacle course ala Ninja Warrior. Now the weapons would be stun weapons that could be used as knives, swords, and others as staffs, etc.

The participants would encounter each other an engage in hand to hand combat, weapons against empty hands, weapons vs weapons, etc. in specific locations. The participants would use non lethal force but are able to use whatever tactics would allow them to win their matches. Each match would last 15 straight minutes no breaks. If another opponent comes in proximity they would also have the opportunity to jump in... join forces with another player or fight everybody. In the end there can only be only one like Highlander anyways so no matter the alliances they will have fight each other.

Alternately you could join the armed forces and get shipped out to fight a rich mans war somewhere?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post

didn't they do that and call it "The Running Man"?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Alternately you could join the armed forces and get shipped out to fight a rich mans war somewhere?
    hahaha... absolutely but if you are afraid to die then this wold be a better avenue...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    didn't they do that and call it "The Running Man"?
    hahaha... many plots have been written like this including the latest "Hunger games".
    Tom