Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Has MMA peaked?

Running Man? Hunger Games?

Naaah, that was Battle Royale.

We've had plenty of discussions here already about the value of MMA, as a martial art, as a spectator sport and as a pop phenomena. What I'm more interested in with this thread is whether or not it has peaked. MMA has been the fastest rising sport for several years, but it stands to reason that it will peak eventually. Now there's some evidence of waning popularity, which is why I launched this thread. Note that I'm not talking about the decline of MMA necessarily, just the end of the rise. I'm curious if any of you have made similar observations lately.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Naaah, that was Battle Royale.

We've had plenty of discussions here already about the value of MMA, as a martial art, as a spectator sport and as a pop phenomena. What I'm more interested in with this thread is whether or not it has peaked. MMA has been the fastest rising sport for several years, but it stands to reason that it will peak eventually. Now there's some evidence of waning popularity, which is why I launched this thread. Note that I'm not talking about the decline of MMA necessarily, just the end of the rise. I'm curious if any of you have made similar observations lately.
    I'd just like to remind our venerated MOD that MMA is a ruleset and not a style.

As to whether it has peaked, I think it's been in decline for the last few years because a lot of the good talent pool came from the guys who fought under the harsher rulesets ergo the worse fighters were eliminated and the guys who survived were the Anderson Silvas, Randy Coutures, Chuck Liddells, Mark Colemans, Tito Ortizs, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Did I say it was a style?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'd just like to remind our venerated MOD that MMA is a ruleset and not a style.
    I just called it a 'sport' above. I can foresee a point when it might evolve to a style, but I've always considered it a sport.

Good point on harsher rule sets. Very good point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just called it a 'sport' above. I can foresee a point when it might evolve to a style, but I've always considered it a sport.

But you did refer to it as a martial art.

In any case... I miss the pride head stomps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Lots of peaks in MMA...

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

[QUOTE=GeneChing;1201464]Naaah, that was Battle Royale.

hahaha... true dat...

Movies:
    THE RUNNING MAN
    BATTLE ROYALE
    DEATH RACE 2000
    ROLLERBALL
    GAMER
    GLADIATOR
    ARENA
    The Most Dangerous Game
    Hard Target
    The 10th Victim
    Das Millionenspiel
    Le prix du danger
    Series 7: The Contenders
    The Condemned

are other movies with similar plots
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

But to answer to real question...
    Of course it is on the decline, it is the common trend with all martial arts and their sports variables.
    In the 50s it was judo, 60s it was karate, in the 70s, kung fu, 70s & 80s Kickboxing, in the 80s ninjutsu, in the 90s tae bo, the 90s to present MMA... something else is brewing, not sure what it is yet but it will come...lol
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 12-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    hahaha... absolutely but if you are afraid to die then this wold be a better avenue...
    If you're afraid to die, you shouldn't cross hands with others at all.
    lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    But you did refer to it as a martial art.
    'Martial Art' is the MA in MMA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Out of curiosity

Out of curiosity would you consider pankration a martial art or martial sport?

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    I don't think I'm to into reviving dead systems. I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression the style died out, was no longer practiced and in modern times people have tried to revive it. I read somewhere about a lost Korean art, which was attempted to be reconstructed from a training manual.

I don't like that idea because how can we possibly know the structure or core focus of Pankration training if know one has passed it down for centuries. Same with the Korean style I mentioned. How are you going to get the essence of the art from a book? Seems like any reconstructions would just be forgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I don't think I'm to into reviving dead systems. I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression the style died out, was no longer practiced and in modern times people have tried to revive it. I read somewhere about a lost Korean art, which was attempted to be reconstructed from a training manual.

I don't like that idea because how can we possibly know the structure or core focus of Pankration training if know one has passed it down for centuries. Same with the Korean style I mentioned. How are you going to get the essence of the art from a book? Seems like any reconstructions would just be forgeries.
    Isn't that how hsing-I was started?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Isn't that how hsing-I was started?
    I don't know, I'm not Hsing I guy...Some old styles of Kung Fu claim to be taken from books passed down from the ancients...but it's probably just stories to make their art seem more mystical then the next guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    I saw two guys who were too afraid to move on each other. When others with skill moved without hesitation. At least Shamrock clocked him once on the way down. Falling back on an appeal of authority has always been a weak argument. "Clearly" next.......
    What? You want me to sit here and type out the nuances that make grappling matches worth watching? I'm just saying that if you didn't see skill and weren't entertained or intellectually stimulated by it, then clearly you aren't seeing what I was seeing. Simple, no?

Country music bores the hell outta me. Doesn't mean there is no skill or flavour. I can see the skills, I'm just not feelin the flavour.
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-12-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    Pankration IS a martial art. A very old style. Pancrase is a promotion.