Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Orphanage

LOL

I guess thats how we are different in some matters, I still use an actual dictionary.

You can't believe everything you read on the web. Wait that sounds like that commercial......

If you truly read the dictionary...

...you'd know the difference between a tow and a toe.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

[QUOTE=breeze;1235295] The orphanate looks deplorable and unhealthy in the video. What is better? Sigh that the temple just doesn't help and turn your back on this or just do and give a positive example?
    It's not to help the temple, it's to help the children.

I can see you are speaking from a very western perspective. Most of China looks deplorable and unhealthy, it is a cultural thing. Most Chinese are very poor. Cleanliness is just not a priority when you are trying to earn enough just to eat and have a roof over your head.

tow, toe or typo

Its a sad world. All I can do is to help those in my family then those in my community, then etc. etc.

If I was a rich person then I would be donating much more then I actually am able to do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    I can see you are speaking from a very western perspective. Most of China looks deplorable and unhealthy, it is a cultural thing. Most Chinese are very poor. Cleanliness is just not a priority when you are trying to earn enough just to eat and have a roof over your head.
    But this is Shaolin, not the rest of China. Do you know the annual revenue they earn, just from tickets sales alone?

I don't know the exact figures, I am sure it is a lot. I see the bus loads of tourists that come here. Now that the Temple has subsidiary Temples elsewhere in China, I am sure a lot of that money goes to maintenance, upkeep, restoration, and food for the monks stationed at those Temples. You have been here LFJ, you know that cleanliness is just not something Chinese hold dear to themselves.

Well, last time I went there, the restroom for tourists was a whole heck of a lot nicer than what those orphans are provided with. 3 or 4 different kinds of toilets to choose from. Automatic everything; all-in-one water, handsoap, blow-dry. I have seen much worse than the orphanage, but the tourists are sure taken care of.

The last time I used a public toilet at Shaolin was the last time I used a public toilet at Shaolin. I have not been to the orphanage so I can't speak to that, I am sure it is much nicer but it is still nasty. You should have seen the ones we had to use at Chen village, a trench in the ground separated by a wall for the ladies room. Pure nasty.

The one I'm talking about is a little building between the Pagoda Forest and the monastery. It was still newly built when I used it, and it was NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    You should have seen the ones we had to use at Chen village, a trench in the ground separated by a wall for the ladies room. Pure nasty.
    Oh yeah, shooing the flies away while adding to the previous piles! I had a NDE in one of those. I had to straddle the trough because I had eaten something that was coming out both ends, meanwhile watching maggots swim around in the puddles of urine at my feet where people had missed. Holding that short of mabu when you're puking in such an environment is difficult! The blood stops flowing in your legs and you get really weak. Luckily I didn't fall over or have to touch a hand down. Pepto Bismol saved my life that night.

Another thread gone to the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Automatic everything; all-in-one water, handsoap, blow-dry.
    That's hard for me to imagine. Alas, it's been way too long since I've been to Shaolin. I don't know if I'd like the place as much now. Sure, the toilets were challenging, but I addressed that in my book. It's all part of training.

Chinese toilets - yeah, been there, done that. We actually have a thread here dedicated to Chinese toilets. We even have one dedicated specifically to Shaolin Toilets.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speaking of which, that would be a good comparison. They spent 3 million yuan on the toilets for tourists. Do we know how much they put into the orphanage?

Ask local government official Zhang Zhongqiang

The rub lies in who you define as 'they'. We often make generalities on Shaolin Temple as a unified body that has complete control over its profits, but the truth is that the Abbot is beholden to several others: the chicoms, the local government, the tourist board, the religious governing body and the sports bureau. Each gets their say and their cut. Where profits get allocated is a very intriguing question. With those Shaolin toilets, the lack of mention of the Abbot is very telling. The Abbot will get his name on any improvement even remotely related to Shaolin. Instead, we get a local government official, which implies either Dengfeng/Henan government, or more likely, the tourist board.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Outside shanmen (the temple walls) = Dengfeng or Henan responsibility.
    Inside shanmen = Shaolin responsibility.

Which of the toilets inside shanmen are worth 3 Million Yuan? The ones west of Daxiongbaodian? The ones at Huangxidi-restaurant? Surely not! Are there any others open to the public?
    The question, if toilets in or outside the temple-walls are better or worse than this or that here and there, does it help the orphans? The question of how rich the temple is, will it soon meet enough concrete numbers to be cleared?

In addition to the orphenage with 300 children the temple spends about 582 000 Yuan per year for the support of 1036 orphans in Henan (http://bodhi.takungpao.com/ptls/gong...1411658_2.html). Sure, it would be better if it was more. Pointing at the Shaolin-temple and saying "You should!" doesn't move anything, i think it makes sense to try other ways, like the "Guardians of the Universe" do with their book. Many books about Shaolin have been sold and the profit went just the usual ways. If this "side-effect" (30 to 50% !) of buying a book, that you might want to buy anyway for its interesting pictures , can move something, isn't that good?.

The orphans once received some computers as donations, why not a healthy orphanage (a minimum standard of hygiene is very favourable for health). Of course, as Bogdan, the initiator of "Guardians of the Universe" said, it would be even better, if it would be possible to connect this project with education in environmental consciousness (??? sorry my English is so poor ....), and not only the orphans might profit from that ...
    It can be a very interesting project, if it meets enough support. Any kind of support.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Outside shanmen (the temple walls) = Dengfeng or Henan responsibility.
    Inside shanmen = Shaolin responsibility.
    That has not really been the case throughout history, and it's even less differentiated nowadays, I'd say. If that were true, Shaolin would surely be in a much different state today.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We often make generalities on Shaolin Temple as a unified body that has complete control over its profits, but the truth is that the Abbot is beholden to several others: the chicoms, the local government, the tourist board, the religious governing body and the sports bureau.
    Chicoms? You mean the Abbot plays Call of Duty?? He better be using a mod so that the gun fires qi and dharma and not bullets
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.