Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Orphanage

Shaolin Orphanage

Shaolin Temple helps stricken youngster
    Updated: 2012-12-07 20:32

The Shaolin Temple in Henan province, China's best known Buddhist temple, has offered free school education to a child whose father died under an overpass.

Liu Chunjie, 10, accepted the invitation from the Shaolin Orphanage on Thursday after his father, Liu Hongwei, was found dead on Nov 30 under an overpass in Zhengzhou, the capital city of Henan.

His father slept under the overpass for nearly a month and developed symptoms of hypothermia before his death. The Henan Business News reported that an official from his village in Qixian county said the boy’s father left home seven years ago without leaving any contact details.

The boy's mother disappeared soon after his father left, and he had to live with his grandfather, with little income, the report said.

On Wednesday, he heard of his father's death from a village official, and wept on being told the news.

Shi Yongxin, abbot of the Shaolin Temple, invited the boy to the Shaolin Orphanage for free food, dormitory accommodation and education.

The Shaolin Orphanage is a non-governmental and non-profit organization founded in Dec 2004. It has adopted 50 orphans from Henan, according to the Shaolin Temple website.
    Sorry it took so long to get a thread on the orphanage started. I had heard about it, but not seen any news reports until now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin Orphans

A fund raising project to support the Shaolin Orphanage

Shaolin Orphans
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There is more about the orphanage and the project on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTu6VBv60v0

The idea behind the project is very interesting, and for the orphans a new orphenage surely would be great. That the "poor Shaolin temple" does not have enough money for the orphanage, is another thing ..............

But Shaolin also has a funny side, as you (hopefully) can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56dD...ture=endscreen

Not saying what they are doing isn't a great thing but an expected thing since its always been the role of temples to take in orphans.

I think there are enough orphanages right in California that could use $$ so why not raise money for them.

Shaolin temple has got millions of dollars so I really don't think they need our help

orphans

It doesn't help the children, if the temple has money, but doesn't spend it for them. The orphanate looks deplorable and unhealthy in the video. What is better? Sigh that the temple just doesn't help and turn your back on this or just do and give a positive example?
    It's not to help the temple, it's to help the children.

BTW, Shi Yongxin in 2011 in an interview with Xinhua and again at the beginning of this year has plead for more support of orphenages: http://boxun.com/news/gb/china/2011/...03111557.shtml and http://bodhi.takungpao.com/ptls/gong...1/1411658.html

... and if it works, maybe Californian orphans are the next ... ?!

well thats Yong Xin's problem, he should sell his merecedes then. He's got access to alot of cash and cash producing ventures. Perhaps he should be shamed into doing something then.

I really wonder what charities or benefits that this magazine does for organizations based in the United States. Every time I turn around they are trying to raise money to send out of the country to help China, like they need it.

Still till this day I never got a response to an inquiry for what might be doing to raise money for Sandy, etc. Guess nothing but then they want us to send money to china for their floods or earthquakes.

I'm very familiar with Gov't agencies as I worked numerous ones for over 9 years. If not orphanages then take alook at our foster care system. etc. etc.

Charity begins at home.

And home is where the heart is.

exactly

Why do you keep telling others where to donate? Just donate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    I really wonder what charities or benefits that this magazine does for organizations based in the United States. Every time I turn around they are trying to raise money to send out of the country to help China, like they need it.

Still till this day I never got a response to an inquiry for what might be doing to raise money for Sandy, etc. Guess nothing but then they want us to send money to china for their floods or earthquakes.
    Firstly, our magazine is the *only* martial arts magazine that supports a charitable org. The Tiger Claw Foundation has been going since 2003 and has done plenty of projects that supported Americans. In fact, the bulk of our projects happen here in America because that's where we're located. Just look at our past projects. If you read our magazine, our latest projects are always listed right in front. As for Sandy, it didn't quite fit within the TCF mission statement which is "promoting martial artists and assisting martial artists in achieving their goals." As for the earthquake benefit, that was very much a matter of timing. I doubt we would have done anything there officially had it not happened just prior to our 2013 TCEC (we do a lot of stuff that goes uncredited). It was marginally martial, but given the timing, the local martial community as a group wanted to step up and unify, so we provided the platform to do so.

Wait...is this about you thinking that I'm racist again?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

may i remind to Loren Eiseley's story of the starthrower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qClChUdlfI

What does it matter, what nationality the seastar, the starthrower, the seastar and the beach have ...?

LOl,

keep towing the party line Gene.

Not suprisingly most of the projects are to benefit Martial Arts Teams, Tournaments, etc. Sure there are some events that the magazine was involved in such as Book Exhibition, St. Jude, Breast Cancer Awareness, etc. But there's a difference between "supporting" and "Sponsoring"

ah perhaps your not but the magazine you work for tends to be.
    Last edited by ngokfei; 06-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.

It's toeing the line, not towing the line. Not much military experience, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    But there's a difference between "supporting" and "Sponsoring"
    Perhaps you should explain the difference as you see it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

no not really

just look inside of your standard dictionary and you'll get what it means.

Sure, I can get definitions on the web...

...I'm more curious about how you think it applies to this conversation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips