Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training With an Injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I never actually felt it when I did it though; my back started waking me up several times a night from pain and got progressively worse. Another possibility; at the same time, I was drilling the Cannon form pretty hard for a couple hours one night; the move where you do the triple arm swing into the sky cannon may have tore a muscle. A week later when I worked that form i couldn't do that move because it really tweaked my back.
    Pinched nerve maybe?

I did that shit to my neck once, man that sucked. Took like 6 weeks to fully recover.

Also, my lower back acts up whenever I have tight hamstrings, since paijiao is giving you trouble, how's your flexibility?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Pinched nerve maybe?

I did that shit to my neck once, man that sucked. Took like 6 weeks to fully recover.

Also, my lower back acts up whenever I have tight hamstrings, since paijiao is giving you trouble, how's your flexibility?
    I wondered if it may be a pinched nerve too...my flexibility is decent, but not great...I can't do the splits, or put my chest on the ground from a sitting splits position, but before I got hurt I could do a back bridge from standing, drop all the way down in the wing stance, toe touches with my wrists, I do a good bit of stretch kicks and "fancier" kicks...kind of middle of the road on that...

If it is muscular, ICE, ICE, ICE! and 800mg Motrin every 8 hours. This is a prescription dose by the way and should only be followed for short periods of time, a few weeks to a month or so!

Ice as often as you can every 2 hours, for 20 mins. for the first 3-4 days after an injury. Then alternate Ice and Heat every two hours as often as you can. Icing at the beginning is the most important thing. I have had injuries that would normally take a number of weeks to heal, heal in a few days to a week, just by icing and motrin.

Always heat before training and ice IMMEDIATELY after you are done. It might be better to do multiple short training sessions than one long one.

And try to avoid anything that will re-injure it. Slowly add stretching back into it and light strengthening and range of motion actions after the first or second week, depending upon the seriousness of the injury..

And listen to tgy if he posts anything, since he is a physical therapist, in hiding, I might add!

i agree. he has much wisdom and healing knowledge of a taoist hermit.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Is the pain unilateral? Does the pain get triggered only within certain range of motion? Everything is all good and then you turn one certain way and BAM! everything locks up? It could very well be a million different things but for whatever it's worth that was my experience.

Anyways, when I had the pinched nerve in my neck, my left scapula felt like it was on fire when I tried to sleep. These helped tremendously, so much so that I keep packets of them around for whenever I fuck myself up.

Forewarning if you are a hirsute individual, removing them can be an ordeal worthy of a little girl removing a band aid.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Forewarning if you are a hirsute individual, removing them can be an ordeal worthy of a little girl removing a band aid.
    Or a good excuse for one's new found hairlessness!

@ Weshu...the pain moves all over the lower back..it will feel like it's coming specifically from one spot, then later it will be up, down or on the opposite side...

you know, I got to start icing it, maybe that's why I'm taking so long to heal..I did a little heat...but I never ice any bruises, muscles or anything...I'm constantly told to, just never have...I got to try that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    @ Weshu...the pain moves all over the lower back..it will feel like it's coming specifically from one spot, then later it will be up, down or on the opposite side...

you know, I got to start icing it, maybe that's why I'm taking so long to heal..I did a little heat...but I never ice any bruises, muscles or anything...I'm constantly told to, just never have...I got to try that...
    Be sure to put the ice in a T-shirt or pillowcase. You want some cloth between the ice and your skin or you will eventually give your skin frostbite.

This applies to store bought icing pads as well.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Don't...

...should have been the first word in any response. At least don't train until you figure out what is injured and how to possibly train around it.

and, you're probably not going to figure it out here either.

try to find a real doctor who can treat you. or a real physical therapist.

taigikyan will probably have some good advice but since he can't actually look at you...he'll probably say find someone competent to diagnose you.

otherwise, scott's advice will alleviate the pain and allow rest. though, icing is starting to come in to question in some circles (not arguing for or against, just saying that it is coming in to question)

healing poorly in, i'm guessing, your youth comes back to haunt you later on.

good luck.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

OKAY!!! Who opened their BIG mouth and invited tgy in???

Bookmarked in case of future injury...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lmao .....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thanks for all the advice and info guys, I appreciate it!...I haven't git back into a regular training regiment yet...as much as I wanted to, I do feel like it's making progress though...I'm hopeful

Don't ice for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, though.

More than 20 minutes at once is pro-inflammatory which is the opposite of what you want.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Most guys tend to sit on their arse and only work out like crazy now and then. For those that work hard all the time, they seem to be more prone to get silly with it.
    I am a lazy man. Ugly and lazy. I would get into a hard fight and by the next day feel like I was frozen in my joints. I got smart and did what Bruce did, and I bought myself a sack full of Tinse Units. They are small little boxes full of batteries, and they have a wire or actually 2 wires with a sticky pad on each one. I stick one on either side of the muscles that were spasming and turn it on. It shocks a little, but it makes these muscles relax and stop spasming. Quick fix if it is only spastic muscles. Worth the money and time looking for one. They can be had at most medical supply places and anyone can buy one.
    Bruce Lee used to have one in each pocket. He hooked them to his lats, pecs, six pack, or even his glutts. He stood there jumping all over. It exercised target muscles that he wanted to enhance and he could go about his business day and not have to do the exercises otherwise.
    Jackie Lee