Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun vids share please take 2

This is the type of thing it sounds like Yoshi is describing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnHlLiYmVXA

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    If chi Sao in your lineage is not about the center line why chi sAo then? There are plenty of other ways to develop sensitivity.
    I think i know what he's talking about. My sifu eventually once told me to relax and try and occupy other centerlines while still defending the main/central line during chi sao. Of course, there could be a few reasons why he specifically said this to me, one being that I'm naturally very tense and perhaps he felt i was tightly closed up while i didn't realize it, but another additional reason he gave was that it also helps you draw your opponent/partner in. In his words, "give them a chance to come in a bit." Just to be clear, he didn't say this because my chi sao was good or anything like that, but more because allowing people to come in opened up more scenarios to deal with, which ultimately was a good thing. but thats just my opinion, and im sure its just the tip of the iceberg
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Blog Entries
    "lop/lop/push videos are repeatedly put up" I love that comment!

Pushing an oponent away so you have to go through the pain of having to bridge again , such a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by chris bougeard View Post
    "lop/lop/push videos are repeatedly put up" I love that comment!

Pushing an oponent away so you have to go through the pain of having to bridge again , such a great idea
    Bridging is a pain for you? It's the easiest thing in a fight and happens automatically. It's what you do from there.

But anyway, pushing is not just for the heck of it. Done forcefully it slams them into the wall, over chairs, etc.. It's using surroundings. Otherwise a short push breaks their posture and balance and changes their facing while keeping them in your striking range as you continue. Or in chi-sau practice, it can just be to call for a reset, as if they would have been sent rolling down stairs by that point anyway.

I think you may be seeing only the last example and not understanding what it could really be representing and it's potential.

Blog Entries
    I understand what im looking at, i know how to bridge and im saying that once you have bridged you should stick, pursue and destroy , not push him away.

In a real fight thats a stupid strategy, every time you have to re-enter his killing zone you could eat punches so what im saying is i only want to have to do this once.

You say you understand, and then speak showing you don't...

Read the description I just posted. You're not leaving or re-entering the opponent's killing zone at all. You can't eat punches when the opponent is on the ground, or turned away from you, off balance and you're right on him attacking. My first point was that you don't just push for the heck of it, evening out the advantage. It's not pushing them "away". It depends on the position and is to gain the advantage.

You apparently don't have this in your system, but are seeing it in a chi-sau drill and assuming that's how it's used in fighting. Mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    You say you understand, and then speak showing you don't...

Read the description I just posted. You're not leaving or re-entering the opponent's killing zone at all. You can't eat punches when the opponent is on the ground, or turned away from you, off balance and you're right on him attacking. My first point was that you don't just push for the heck of it, evening out the advantage. It's not pushing them "away". It depends on the position and is to gain the advantage.

You apparently don't have this in your system, but are seeing it in a chi-sau drill and assuming that's how it's used in fighting. Mistake.

Good post, the skill in using po-pai while striking isnt widely known, to describe it as pushing an opponent away from 'chi-sao' so they can come back at you is revealing a lack of fundamental ideas about the Ving Tsun system. Btw, Mayweather uses po-pai's in the ring for similar reasons, he doesnt do sticky hands.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Good post, the skill in using po-pai while striking isnt widely known, to describe it as pushing an opponent away from 'chi-sao' so they can come back at you is revealing a lack of fundamental ideas about the Ving Tsun system. Btw, Mayweather uses po-pai's in the ring for similar reasons, he doesnt do sticky hands.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonsense. Po Pai is very well known in my circle. The po pais shown in the vids by PB students
    are not first class. Showing one vid is ok... after that it gets boring. Same old push not po pai. Mayweather is top flight but his structure is not a wing chun structure but serves his boxing purpose.

Blog Entries
    You're not leaving or re-entering the opponent's killing zone at all.

You are if you push him away.

You can't eat punches when the opponent is on the ground,

so simply pushing him away is going to drop him, i dont think so.

or turned away from you, off balance and you're right on him attacking.

You wont be right on him attacking him if you have pushed him away.

My first point was that you don't just push for the heck of it, evening out the advantage. It's not pushing them "away". It depends on the position and is to gain the advantage.

You are assuming that i dont know much about wing chun. I understand perfectly that using an explosive push can be useful its all down to context and the situation you are in. If you are fighting more than one person it might be beneficial to blast an oponent into one of his buddys to buy a little time or into a wall.

You know nothing about me or the system i train in.

Bottom line is, i always favour hitting over pushing, period

Chris, are you reading what I write or is the concept just that foreign to you?

Quote Originally Posted by chris bougeard View Post
    You're not leaving or re-entering the opponent's killing zone at all.

You are if you push him away.
    You don't push him "away"... as I explained.

You can't eat punches when the opponent is on the ground,

so simply pushing him away is going to drop him, i dont think so.
    You use surroundings and push him over objects, chairs, etc... as I explained.

or turned away from you, off balance and you're right on him attacking.

You wont be right on him attacking him if you have pushed him away.
    Again, you don't push him "away"... as I explained.

You are assuming that i dont know much about wing chun. I understand perfectly that using an explosive push can be useful its all down to context and the situation you are in. If you are fighting more than one person it might be beneficial to blast an oponent into one of his buddys to buy a little time or into a wall.
    It can be an explosive push for that, or a short push to affect their position, balance, angle to you, etc. while keeping them in your striking range, not "away"... as I explained.

You know nothing about me or the system i train in.

Bottom line is, i always favour hitting over pushing, period
    I know a little from what you've made clear here in your comments.

Bottom line is, it's not pushing the opponent away bringing you both into equal opportunity. You understand there are different ranges in fighting, right? There are situations where you are closer than the ideal 3/4 striking range, and can use the pushing action to affect balance and angle and bring them into the range where you can continue striking as preferred from an advantageous position.

Hope that is understandable this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonsense. Po Pai is very well known in my circle. The po pais shown in the vids by PB students
    are not first class. Showing one vid is ok... after that it gets boring. Same old push not po pai. Mayweather is top flight but his structure is not a wing chun structure but serves his boxing purpose.
    "not 1st class " ...... same 'ol, same 'ol makes for mindless execution OUTSIDE the chi-sao lala land you live in.

please mayweather has no idea what po pai is please dont use others outside your system to make it look better, simply post a clip of someone within your lineage using it in something other than chi sao.......

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    please mayweather has no idea what po pai is please dont use others outside your system to make it look better, simply post a clip of someone within your lineage using it in something other than chi sao.......
    Lmao at frost being all knowing about po-pai's now !

Lmao at frost being all knowing about po-pai's now !
    Where did I say I know po poi? I said
    a) Don’t claim a boxer as proof something you do in your lineage works and
    b) show us it in action outside of chi sao so we can bask in its Awesomeness

Wong Shun Leung had drills for applying po-pais to boxers, very effective.