Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Wing chun vids share please take 2

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Not sure i agree with you there. By that logic classes would be very short, you'd never do more than one bong sao, a couple of punches, maybe a garn sao etc after all there's no point drilling or sparring because real fights dont last very long and sequential repetitions of the same shape rarely happen (as they do in drilling).
    Drilling realistic fighting applications vs. T/B/F rolling chi sau or bong-laap looping drills are 2 very different things.

While everything has it's place, if one focuses a large portion of their training on the latter, they will then assume this is realistic fighting and post up clips of it, title them 'gor sau' and then post them on forums as proof of fighting skills, when in reality it's just development execises.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Chi sao and lap sao drill are development exercises, not fighting. They are designed to develop certain attributes which can be applied in fighting.
    Exactly. Yet this is mostly what is shown in the clips that are being talked about that are titled 'gor sau', as Wayfaring has has pointed out.

Most people assume 'Gor sau' means more than just drilling. 'Specially when the clips are of a lineage's top guy trashing his students to cool fight music and are being pumped up as example of his fighting prowess. Not saying the people in the clip can/can't fight or don't have skill, but let's call it what it really is: High speed drilling of looping tan/bong/fook push/pull chi sau & bong laap drills to really cool fight music by people of unequal skills and low resistance levels

Which brought me to my original point: this is the downside of spending so much of one's traing time on these types of drills (like T/B/F chi sau) in. They only represent a very small timeframe in a fight, and will lead one to lose sight of what it is to fight against a resisting opponent that doesn't play these same game or even present the opportunity for this very specific timeframe.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 02-08-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1210074]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    It is the WC forum that has the most issues and the reason, quite frankly, is YOU GUYS ( the people that post in the WC forum).
    You guys have some serious issues and turn every thread into a lineage-***** measuring war and quite frankly, its pretty sad.
    You WC guys have some deep rooted issues....
    You know I would have a lot more problem with this post if guys with issues didn't date girls like this:

Great job WCK forum team!!!!

[QUOTE=Wayfaring;1210103]
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

You know I would have a lot more problem with this post if guys with issues didn't date girls like this:

Great job WCK forum team!!!!
    I see you gratuitous example of the female form and reply in kind !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I see your pair and raise with tits, er this, hehe
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

I see your fine display of ink art and counter with a double dragons lunge !

Finally! This thread eventually took a turn in the right direction...

See all the ink, move things back to combat-related and raise you something "fully loaded".

Hmmm I raise you a red head...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

I see your fully loaded and raise you a concealed weapon !

[QUOTE=wingchunIan;1210092]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    are you sure you haven't been watching too much of this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQXYeTV7a8

this is a circular argument as if you don't move the feet there is nothing that you can do with your hips that will prevent you being dumped on the floor.

sound advice and the closer the range the less time there is to react to the takedown (as in the single and double legs evidenced in the clip) attempt however with contact the change of level can be felt whereas from out of contact (even if within range) the level change has to be observed. Of course in contact range there are a whole other array of throws, trips etc available to a grappler that are not available at range which do indeed increase the liklihood of ending up on the floor. FWIW my comments are based on my own experiences not on what someone has told me so maybe my opinions will change over time.

With regards to Jose Aldo all of the factors that you mention of course come into play however watch his recent fights and listen to the commentary. The comment I made was taken from a commentator who has fought and coached at the top of MMA, of course he is probably wrong and you are right. Maybe you should think about calling the UFC and asking for a slot on the payroll.

Its friday afternoon and I can't take this discusion too seriously
    i can tell your opinions are based on your own experiences because no one with sound grappling experience would say that

My opinion is also based on my own experiences, 10 years of grappling and wrestling training including entering comps

my opinion on aldo comes from my own observations, those of my coach who has trained one title fighter in the UFC and 6 guys who have competed at the top level in both the UFC and pride and from talking to the guy who trains aldo in wrestling whilst training with him.....who was a standout at iowa and on the usa national team for over a decade and is my schools wrestling coach.....and not from the TV in a 5 second spot
    Last edited by Frost; 02-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Most clueless post on grappling I've read in a long while.
    and considering the forum we are on that's a neat trick to pull off