Thread: Zu Warriors (2000s)

Zu Warriors (2000s)

Surprisingly no extant thread. Found a bargain bin DVD of this - dubbed international version and subbed HK extended cut.

Anyone seen this one? Comments?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Saw it a long time ago...

At the time, it was pretty cutting edge CGI for an HK flick, sort of in the wake of Stormriders, but I imagine it looks pretty dated now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dated certainly describes the CGI - it would have been better with practical FX. Story was entertainingly fantastical though.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I've had it on disc for about a decade. It's a remake of the Yuen Biao film Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. It's basically about celestial warriors from each of China's holy mountains fighting a demon. The remake is just a vehicle to show off HK's CGI prowess of the time. In fact, the CGI really muffles the flow of the movie. However, it does have some pretty neat fight scenes. You can see one around minute 5:50 of this clip. Two of the main characters fight their doppelgangers. One of them has wings made from swords!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJkLO3vyk1o