Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality Street Testing

Blog Entries

Reality Street Testing

Back in the 70th, you could ride in a police car. When there was any criminal activity, you could help the police work by either knocking/taking down the bad guys on the street. Even in the most cases, your opponents might not fight back as hard as they should, You could still test your MA skill this way. The police could also use you as their backup. It's a win-win situation.

The funny thing was the cop won't allow you to hit on those bad guy's face. In most cases, you could punch as hard as you could on their chest and that would be OK.

Here are my questions:

- I know it was legal back then. Do you think it's still legal today?
    - Does anyone have experience like this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

NO and not for decades.

they should allow us to test kung fu on death row.

you have two choices, the electric chair, or a deadly game of push hands with a tai chi grandmaster.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Our local PD still allows ride alongs but not for backup. It's for educational purposes/pr work at the discretion of the officer. I don't believe our state troopers could permit it because of liability concerns.

I have assisted arrests or restraint of violent offenders on at least five occasions. On two of them I was off duty but in uniform (I work as a corrections officer). It helped to have a badge for easy recognition and I knew the officers involved.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    Back then,

- a friend of mine (Karate guy) used that opportunity to test his "one punch drop" skill.
    - Another friend of mine used that opportunity to test his "take down" skill.

IMO, the 2nd approach might be more civilized. Both of them had taught in that police department as MA instructors and that might be the difference.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Don't be impatient. The police will give you plenty of opportunity to test your skillz in the next couple of years.

you are right. we should join the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    NO and not for decades.
    And for weak reasons. I would like to talk about civil rights and proper use of force and all that, but the very simple truth here is that they just don't want to get sued, and there isn't an insurance company in the country that be ok with that.

So YKW, did you go on ride alongs and knock people around?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you are right. we should join the police.
    Word to ya moms!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So YKW, did you go on ride alongs and knock people around?
    I was offered the opportunity but I didn't accept it. Too many criminals came out of jail and looked for revenge. It's not good to create enemies IMO.

Super mega ultra illegal.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Back in the 70th, you could ride in a police car. When there was any criminal activity, you could help the police work by either knocking/taking down the bad guys on the street. Even in the most cases, your opponents might not fight back as hard as they should, You could still test your MA skill this way. The police could also use you as their backup. It's a win-win situation.

The funny thing was the cop won't allow you to hit on those bad guy's face. In most cases, you could punch as hard as you could on their chest and that would be OK.

Here are my questions:

- I know it was legal back then. Do you think it's still legal today?
    - Does anyone have experience like this?
    It may have depended on the community!
    Today it would be illegal and open up the police departments to lawsuits. People tend to be more gun-happy (as opposed to slap-happy) so somebody's gonna get a hurting real good

I was offered the opportunity but I didn't accept it. Too many criminals came out of jail and looked for revenge. It's not good to create enemies IMO.
    wear mask and cape to hide your identity.

Back then,

- a friend of mine (Karate guy) used that opportunity to test his "one punch drop" skill.
    - Another friend of mine used that opportunity to test his "take down" skill.

IMO, the 2nd approach might be more civilized. Both of them had taught in that police department as MA instructors and that might be the difference.

If your not sure if your stuff works, it probably doesn't .!

A good point. But I think being an overaggressive jerk should be your main motivation for saying no. We don't need cops riding around looking for the opportunity to let a MAist try his stuff and maybe do a lil showboating for their friend. Recipe for disaster!!!

One of my sifus used to street test by going jogging through the ghetto decked out in full robes and monk garb...said he did it just because he knew people would start stuff and he could be sure he could still fight...a bit crazy but he has mad skills...used to take his students jogging through the rough side of town as well...he'd lose them and have some dudes he knew surround a student and act like they were going to jump him, just to see how they would respond in a real situation.