Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Wall

Zhang Yimou comments

The Great Wall director addresses Matt Damon whitewashing controversy — exclusive
    The movie 'is the opposite of what is being suggested,' Zhang Yimou tells EW
    BY JOE MCGOVERN • @JMCGVRN

(Chris Weeks/Getty Images)
    The Great Wall
    Posted August 4 2016 — 12:50 PM EDT

On July 28, acclaimed Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou (House of Flying Daggers) released the first photos and trailer of his — and his country’s — most expensive movie ever. Many audiences were surprised to see that The Great Wall was not about the construction of China’s 5,500-mile long Wonder of the World, but instead a full-fledged monster movie.

But many more were surprised and disappointed that the film, set about 1,000 years ago, starred white American actor Matt Damon. In a lengthy tweet posted one day after the trailer debut, Fresh Off the Boat star Constance Wu criticized the project for “perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world” and wrote, “Our heroes don’t look like Matt Damon.”

In a statement provided exclusively to EW, Zhang addresses the controversy, explaining that Damon’s character serves an important plot point, and defends his film against charges of racism. Read his full statement below.
    In many ways The Great Wall is the opposite of what is being suggested. For the first time, a film deeply rooted in Chinese culture, with one of the largest Chinese casts ever assembled, is being made at tent pole scale for a world audience. I believe that is a trend that should be embraced by our industry. Our film is not about the construction of the Great Wall. Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor. The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film. As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.
    As I suspected....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Next Bruce Lee...yeah right.

If nothing else, this film is buzzing with silly superlatives.

'The Great Wall' star Eddie Peng touted as the next Bruce Lee
    Maolen E. | Aug 15, 2016 02:40 PM EDT

Eddie Peng poses for a picture on the red carpet at The 18th Shanghai International Film Festival on June 13, 2015 in Shanghai, China. (Photo : Getty Images/Kevin Lee)

Taiwanese actor Eddie Peng, who is set to star in "The Great Wall" film, has been touted to be the next Bruce Lee. Interestingly, the 34-year-old actor has his sights set on breaking into Hollywood as the next enormous martial arts film export.

Peng, who was born in Taiwan before moving to Canada at the age of thirteen, had been making clamor in the Hollywood and China's film industry. In a recent interview with The Daily Telegraph, Peng admitted that he has huge plans in Hollywood.
    "A couple of years ago I started to learn martial arts and Kung Fu basically because of the role I took," he explained. "You know we all have a Kung Fu dream, right. We all like Bruce Lee. I grew up with Bruce Lee, I grew with Jackie Chan movies, so when I got the chance to do Kung Fu, I was like, 'I've got to do something here, I've got to learn something'."
    Although learning Kung Fu is not easy as it seems, the "Rise of the Legend" actor expressed how fortunate he is to learn something from it. He then revealed that he does all his own stunts, stressing, "In Asia, they really want to see your face, it is not like Hollywood movies where you have the stuntmen and four doubles for one shot."
    Peng will star in the upcoming American-Chinese 3D epic science fantasy monster adventure action film, "The Great Wall," alongside Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal, Jing Tian, Andy Lau and Willem Dafoe. The film apparently allowed Peng to showcase some of his martial arts expertise.
    Peng also hopes that "The Great Wall" film will open ways to a Hollywood industry that is looking at off the inexorably lucrative Chinese market. Set in the Northern Song Dynasty, "The Great Wall" revolves around an elite force of soldiers, who make a last stand for mankind against a slew of legendary creatures.
    With a reported total budget of $135 million, the upcoming epic science fantasy film is said to be the most expensive and the greatest American-Chinese co-production to date.
    "This is the biggest movie I've ever been involved with," Los Angeles Times quoted Damon as saying before a group of reporters, adding that the viewers will surely be in for some "fun surprises" once they see the film's version of the Great Wall.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"The Next Bruce Lee"? Really?

There can never be another Bruce Lee (or Jackie or Sammo or whoever). And even if there could be, it certainly wouldn't be Eddie Peng. I thought his movie Rise of the Legend was pretty good, but on second viewing it was obvious how they used quick-cut edits, wirework and CGI to mask his rather limited MA skills, double or no double. Of course, an actor does not need to be a high-level MA expert to look passable or even quite good on film. However, to even be considered in the same light as Bruce Lee, your ability at performing MA onscreen cannot rely on clever editing and FX.

And it's also quite common for very legitimate MAists to come across as mediocre in movies. I'm betting that the majority of top MMA fighters, as well as top Kung Fu teachers, would probably not look very spectacular onscreen, either, as screen fighting, screen charisma and at least fair acting ability for the camera are very different (in many ways opposite) from fighting in a ring/cage, or mastering a MA over a lifetime. Being a really good screen fighter, just like any type of acting or performing, requires a certain knack that not everybody has the potential for.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-17-2016 at 09:21 AM.

I'm in that 'whatev' group

While I respect Constance Wu, I think she cried 'wolf' on this one. She jumped on a bandwagon, a bandwagon that I'm firmly riding, but fingered the wrong film. She wasn't looking at the whole picture, as we have been with this particular film, since 2012. She should really join our forum here. We'll allow her, even if she isn't a martial artist.

‘The Great Wall’: Why The Matt Damon Whitewashing Is No Big Deal In China
    Contrasting Chinese and U.S. reactions to Matt Damon's casting in "The Great Wall" underscore the difficulties co-productions have appealing to audiences in both countries.

Aaron Fox-Lerner
    Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Matt Damon is the star of “The Great Wall.”

It seems reasonable to expect that a movie called “The Great Wall,” billed as the biggest production in China’s filmmaking history, would feature Chinese actors. Instead, when Universal and Legendary released the trailer for Zhang Yimou’s film, the first face viewers saw was that of the decidedly white Matt Damon, fighting monsters atop the Middle Kingdom’s most famous monument.

In America, it was a call to arms in the battle against whitewashing, that curious tendency to insert Caucasian faces where history tells us there were none. “We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world,” wrote comedian and “Fresh Off the Boat” star Constance Wu in a lengthy, impassioned statement posted to Twitter. “Our heroes don’t look like Matt Damon.”

China had another take. There, the prevailing sentiment over the trespass on their national identity might best be described as a Whatevs.

On Weibo, essentially China’s Twitter (the social media service is banned there), searches relating to “The Great Wall” and whitewashing in Chinese turn up only a few dozen responses at most. Many posts are simply articles explaining the American controversy for Chinese readers. Even of those, most are focused on director Zhang Yimou’s defense of the film, rather than Wu’s criticism of it.

Why the collective shrug? “In China, Chinese are the majority,” said Sally Ye, a Chinese-American producer who has worked in China for more than a decade. “They don’t have this feeling of representation which people of minority backgrounds would feel in the United States.”

Added Wang Xiaoyi, film editor for the Chinese-language Time Out Beijing, “So out of five heroes, there’s one who’s not Chinese.”

However, while the US perceives the film is about Matt Damon saving China, people in China think he’s just one character out of many. Early marketing in the two countries has been markedly different.

In the US, Damon’s face occupies most of the poster, with the titular wall merely a detail over his shoulder. The film’s synopsis on the official website also puts the American actor front and center: “Matt Damon leads humanity’s greatest fight for survival in ‘The Great Wall’ from Legendary and Universal Pictures.”

By contrast, China is much more interested in the screen debut of Chinese boy-band idol Wang Junkai, who appears alongside fellow boy-band-member-turned-actor Luhan and popular star Andy Lau. The Chinese trailer mixes in images of local actors early on, and a teaser poster from Zhang Yimou’s Weibo account also positions Damon in equal proportion to his co-stars.

“It’s just like how the new ‘Independence Day’ used Angelababy,” said Wang, referring to a popular Chinese star whose bit-part casting in the latest “Independence Day” movie was a clear play for the Chinese market. “Zhang Yimou chose Matt Damon because he didn’t want the movie’s audience to be limited to China.”

The Damon comparison is a bit generous; Hollywood films ranging from “Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation” to “Iron Man 3” pander to China by creating marginal roles for Chinese stars (a move that’s inspired mockery both in the US and China). However, co-productions allow foreign companies to dodge barriers that prevent them from participating in the world’s second-largest moviegoing market. China has a 34-film quota on foreign productions, and also allows foreign studios to claim only 25% of a movie’s box office. If a movie has some Chinese participation, companies can circumvent these limits.

One of the few domestic hits in China this summer has been “Skiptrace,” an English-language action-comedy directed by action journeyman Renny Harlin (“Die Hard 2,” “Deep Blue Sea”) starring Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville. In the U.S., the film went to DirectTV July 28, with a theatrical run via Saban Films September 2; in China, it’s already has made over 800 million RMB (about 120 million dollars). Other co-productions have been even more explicitly aimed at Chinese audiences: 2015’s “Hollywood Adventures” was co-written and co-produced by the Taiwan-born Justin Lin and featured Chinese stars and dialogue, but it was directed by an American, Timothy Kendall, and shot almost entirely in Los Angeles. That film was also a success in China while remaining largely unknown outside it.

Other movies have gone “The Great Wall” route of shoehorning foreign stars into ancient Chinese settings. “Dragon Blade,” a 2015 epic about warring Roman factions in Han Dynasty-era China, featured John Cusack phoning it in, Adrian Brody hamming it up, and Jackie Chan sporting dreadlocks. It proved a box-office smash in China, while going practically unnoticed in the US. The critically maligned “Outcast” (2014) also sent stars Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen into historical China, this time as disillusioned medieval Crusaders.

Even for purely Chinese productions, foreign roles ranging from token to central have become commonplace. “When I first came to China, the people making movie and TV shows didn’t know any foreigners in real life,” Jonathan Kos-Read, a Chinese-speaking white actor who was born in Southern California but makes his living in films like “Mojin — The Lost Legend” and “IP Man 3” — productions targeted to the Chinese audience. “But now because there’s so many foreigners, most of the writers know a real foreigner … And the practical, artistic upshot of that is that they write better, more sophisticated foreign characters who are people before they’re foreigners.”

The trajectory of Kos-Read – who described himself to me as a “minority actor” – from stock clichés to more complex characters would be the envy of many Asian-American performers who find themselves faced with frustratingly stereotypical roles. While “The Great Wall” has been a flashpoint in America over the lack of Asian representation, for the Chinese film industry the main issue has been whether the movie will show growing internationalization can lead to success outside of China.

“The fact that you’re writing an article about ‘Great Wall’ is kind of a genuine change,” Kos-Read said. “If it works, that’s going to be great. It means a lot more of that is going to happen, and as an actor, it’ll mean a lot more work.”

Still, even with an American star and a Western writing team (among them Max Brooks, Tony Gilroy, and Marshall Herskovitz), Ye believes “The Great Wall” is aimed mainly at China, with the US as a secondary bonus. “I think they took China as priority,” she said, “but they don’t want to not have the US distribution, because it’s a huge, big-budget film.”

Censorship may be another reason why “The Great Wall” is not controversial in China; as a state-approved production, the government’s involvement might be enough to presume national respect. “I think that media in China, at least the ones who are going to drive word of mouth for ‘The Great Wall,’ will want ‘Great Wall’ to be a success,” said one Asian-American working for a large Chinese film company who wished to remain anonymous. “Right now SARFT [the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television] is more invested in showing that Chinese filmmakers can make a movie of Western standards than they are in undermining the kind of ideological fiber inside the movie itself.”

“The Great Wall” is clearly aimed at a level of international success beyond any prior Chinese film or co-production — and with it, a previously unknown level of scrutiny. As the anonymous film worker put it, even without its whitewashing controversy, “The Great Wall” is “a glaring example of how much people are willing to spend to make the co-production prove its viability.” The U.S. controversy over the movie’s casting shows just how hard that viability may be to achieve.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chinese poster

The Great Wall Poster is Here And Matt Damon Learned How to Fly
    By FizX on September 8, 2016@fizx

Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures‘ The Great Wall new international poster is here, Starring Matt Damon.

The Great Wall tells the story of an elite force making a valiant stand for humanity on the world’s most iconic structure. The first English-language production for Yimou is the largest film ever shot entirely in China.

When a mercenary warrior (Damon) is imprisoned within The Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of our world. As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure, his quest for fortune turns into a journey toward heroism as he joins a huge army of elite warriors to confront this unimaginable and seemingly unstoppable force.

The Great Wall will hit 3D screens on February 17, 2017.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this film is about, but I trust Zhang Yimou to deliver something engaging.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

speaking of trying to wrap my head around something...

srlsy? oh man...

World's worst restoration? China's Great Wall covered in cement
    By Ben Westcott and Serenitie Wang, CNN
    Updated 9:47 AM ET, Wed September 21, 2016

A photo posted on China's internet showing the Great Wall repaired with cement.

Story highlights
    Cement repair widely denounced online by angry netizens
    Expert said the repairs had taken away "history"

(CNN)It's the repair job that's so ugly you can probably see it from space.
    A 700-year-old "wild" stretch of China's Great Wall has been covered in a smooth, white trail of cement under orders from Suizhong county's Cultural Relics Bureau, Sina reported on Wednesday.
    The repairs were carried out in 2014, but they only came to public attention recently.

Dong said the repair was done "very badly."

It was an effort to restore parts of the wall which have fallen into disrepair and are not open to the public, but the restoration has been met with condemnation by social media users and advocates.
    The repair work took place near the border of Liaoning and Hebei province and photos of the results were widely shared by Beijing News on Weibo this week.
    CNN has reached out to the local Heritage Conservation Bureau for comment.
    Restoration 'took away history'
    Chinese internet users have slammed the repair job, with the Weibo hashtag "The most beautiful, wild Great Wall flattened" trending online.
    "Glad Venus de Milo is not in China, or someone would get her a new arm," one user said.

A photo from before China's Great Wall was cemented.

Great Wall of China Society deputy director Dong Yaohui said the restoration work had been done "very badly". "It damaged the original look of the Great Wall and took away the history from the people."
    Dong said it was important for the Chinese government as a whole to regulate and streamline Great Wall restoration efforts.
    "Although the local government was well intentioned and wanted to restore the bricks of the Wall, the result turned out to be the opposite."
    Since 2006, the Great Wall Protection Ordinance in China introduced strict rules for the development of tourist destinations.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The title of the Great Wall is becoming very ironic

Here is the other side of the whitewashing wall.

Asian Films Looking to Cast More Hollywood Names
    Vivienne Chow

Matt Damon The Great Wall UNIVERSAL
    OCTOBER 7, 2016 | 02:00AM PT

As China is eager to export its soft power to the world, more Hollywood faces have been cast in Chinese blockbusters in the hope of scoring global releases and winning the hearts of international audiences.

Despite China’s box office slowing down by 21% in the first half of 2016, the country’s film market saw a staggering rise over the past five years on its way to challenge the North America’s position as the world’s No. 1 movie market.

Chinese money is also set to reshape Hollywood through various acquisitions, such as Dalian Wanda Group’s 2012 buy of the AMC theater chain and purchase of Legendary Entertainment in January.

But there is only so much that money can buy. Chinese productions earned little recognition abroad in recent years. The only Chinese-language film that has ever won a foreign-language Oscar was 2000’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” but the Ang Lee film was billed as a Taiwanese film. The last mainland production that earned a nomination in the race was Zhang Yimou’s “Hero” in 2002.

“China wants to export its films to the world — especially the U.S. — as an achievement of its soft power, but no one wants to watch its films,” says producer and director Peter Tsi, who has helmed projects in Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China. “On the other hand, Hollywood is excited about getting into the China market, but the only way to achieve that is through co-production, and they must find subject matter that can resonate with the Chinese audience.”

The controversy surrounding the casting of Matt Damon as the lead in “The Great Wall” is the latest example. Helmer Zhang Yimou had to defend the decision to cast the Hollywood star in his first English-language production — also the first project emerged from Legendary Entertainment’s Legendary East and which cost $135 million — against “whitewashing” criticisms.

Tsi says in order to get Chinese productions distributed in North America and elsewhere, Hollywood faces are needed. “The only way to make it work is to arbitrarily cast a Hollywood actor or two so that U.S. distributors and exhibitors might consider screening them,” he says.

Even though it is China’s first film to reach the $500 million B.O. benchmark and the all-time highest-grossing film in the country, Stephen Chow’s fantasy blockbuster “The Mermaid,” which has a primarily Chinese cast, only had a limited release of 35 screens in the U.S. under Sony’s distribution.

Nevertheless, “The Great Wall” isn’t the first time a Western star has turned up in a Chinese movie. In fact the “Americanization” of Asian productions could be traced back to a 20-minute segment starring Raymond Burr that was edited into the original Japanese “Godzilla” (1954) before it was introduced to American audiences as “Godzilla: King of Monsters!” (1956).

Hong Kong led the trend in the early 2000s as partnerships with U.S. players began. Paul Rudd played an FBI agent in Hong Kong action blockbuster “Gen-Y Cops” (2000), which was produced by Hong Kong’s Media Asia and Regent Entertainment. The film was released in the U.S. in 2002 as “Metal Mayhem.” The 2000 action thriller “China Strike Force,” which had American company Astoria Films on board as one of the production companies alongside Asia’s Golden Harvest, starred Grammy-winning musician Coolio as a drug dealer.

Hong Kong-based Australian actor Gregory Rivers says many Western characters look arbitrary in Asian stories. “Sometimes [the story] doesn’t make sense,” says Rivers, who’s been working on Hong Kong films and TV for nearly 30 years. “Writers [in Asia] were not used to writing Western characters into their stories.”

But when it came to breaking into more and bigger markets, it became inevitable that characters of various nationalities had to be included in Chinese films. As mainland China began to cultivate its commercial cinema more than a decade ago, Donald Sutherland starred in Feng Xiaogang’s comedy “Big Shot’s Funeral” (2001), a collaboration between Columbia Pictures’ Asia arm, based in Hong Kong, and a string of Chinese companies including Huayi Bros.

More Hollywood faces appeared in Chinese productions over the past few years. Christian Bale starred in Zhang’s “The Flowers of War” in 2011. Adrien Brody was cast in Feng’s “Back to 1942” (2012), a Huayi Bros. production that got a U.S. release. Brody returned to China to join Jackie Chan and John Cusack in “Dragon Blade” (2015). Boxing legend Mike Tyson was cast as a crooked property developer in “Ip Man 3” (2015) and had fight scenes with Donnie Yen, who played the title wing chun master.

But before any conclusion can be drawn about “The Great Wall,” which will be released in China in December and in the U.S. by Universal in February, the casting of Bruce Willis in WWII epic “The Bombing” will get attention first. Jointly backed by the state-operated China Film Group and private investors, “The Bombing” has a reportedly $90 million budget. Willis is joined by Brody and an ensemble Asian cast including Korean star Song Seung-heon, Hong Kong actor-singer Nicholas Tse and mainland actor Liu Ye. It was scheduled for release on Sept. 30 in China.

“You want a movie that hits all markets at the same time and so you want to add a Korean or an American in the cast,” Rivers says. “But sometimes it doesn’t work like that.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In the wake of NYCC

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Matt Damon comments

'a f–king bummer'

Matt Damon Responds to ‘The Great Wall’ Whitewashing Controversy
    Erin Whitney | 2 days ago

Universal Pictures

When the first teaser trailer for The Great Wall debuted this summer, much of the internet responded in a collective thinking face emoji, wondering, why is a white dude the hero of an action movie set in China?

It’s an criticism that’s circulated a lot this year Hollywood, especially around the the casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange, Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, and Finn Jones in Iron Fist. The Great Wall, from Chinese director Zhang Yimou, is the most expensive movie ever made in China and follows Matt Damon defending the 13,000-mile wall against a monster attack. The Atlantic called out the film for whitewashing, while actress Constance Wu tweeted that the films need to “stop perpetuating the racist myth” of the white savior narrative.

During the press conference for The Great Wall following the film’s New York Comic-Con panel on Saturday, Damon was asked about his response the controversy. “It was a f–king bummer,” he said. But Damon wasn’t expecting the backlash, which he says he and the cast felt “wounded” by. “To me, whitewashing, I think of Chuck Connors when he played Geronimo.” The actor went on to defend the teaser, saying it’s too brief of a look to speak for the entire movie and shouldn’t be subjected to the same level of criticism:

They’re trying to establish a number of things in 30 seconds or a minute or whatever they have; it’s not a full length trailer, it’s a teaser. They’re trying to tease A, the monster. […] They’re trying to speak to a bigger audience. ‘You probably don’t know who this director is in Middle America, the Steven Spielberg of China. Don’t worry, they speak English in this movie’ – you hear my voice speaking English. ‘Don’t worry, Matt’s in the movie, you’ve seen this guy before.’ So they’re trying to establish all these things. And by the way, there are monsters. So there’s a lot of pipe they’re trying to lay in that 30 seconds.
    Besides the limited footage in the teaser, Damon emphasized that the movie isn’t based on actual history, but on folklore. He said his co-star Pedro Pascal, (Narcos, Game of Thrones) called him after the backlash joking, “Yeah, we are guilty of whitewashing. We all know that only the Chinese defended the wall against the monsters when they attacked.” Pedro chimed in at the press conference to say that The Great Wall is still a film made from the perspective of a Chinese filmmaker:

We don’t want people to be kept from work that they wouldn’t have the opportunity otherwise, to see that it is very, very specifically Chinese. It’s Zhang Yimou’s lens. It is a creature feature. It’s a big, fantastical popcorn entertainment movie. But it has a visual style that is very very much his and his only.
    By the look of the first full The Great Wall trailer that debuted at Comic-Con today, the movie certainly looks like Yimou’s work, with a use of color and stylistic visuals similar to the director’s Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Yimou, through a translator, mentioned earlier in the press conference that the film is based on an ancient Chinese fairy tale about a monster even older than dragons. Yimou responded to the controversy earlier this year telling Entertainment Weekly that Damon plays one of five heroes in the movie, four of which are Chinese characters. “Our film is not about the construction of the Great Wall. Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor,” Yimou said.

But while The Great Wall may be based on a made up story, does that disqualify it from criticisms of playing into the white savior trope? Damon added that he’s still open to criticism, but that he wants audiences to see the movie first:

Look, if people see this movie and feel like there’s some how whitewashing involved in a creature feature that we made up, I will listen to that with my whole heart. I will think about that and I will try to learn from that. I will be surprised if people see this movie and have that reaction, I will be genuinely shocked. It’s a perspective that, as a progressive person I really do agree with and try to listen to and try to be sensitive to, but ultimately I feel like you are undermining your own credibility when you attack something without seeing it. I think you have to educate yourself about what it is, and then make your attack, or your argument and then it’s easier to listen to just from our sides.
    The Great Wall also stars Jing Tian, Willem Dafoe, Andy Lau and Chinese boy band member Junkai Wang. The film hits theaters February 17, 2017.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A good story with a great caste.

Will see when it is on Netflix.

Stopped buying DVDs.

Streaming from the web is the new norm.

Damon is sort of a gun slinger. and so much a sword wielder or bow drawer.

Well. It is Hollywood.

I can hardly wait for this...

"Public screenings begin from 7pm on Dec. 15, the evening before the official release date."

How a Monster-Sized Marketing Campaign was Built for China’s ‘Great Wall’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

UNIVERSAL
    DECEMBER 4, 2016 | 06:30PM PT

“The Great Wall” presents a whole series of firsts. It is the first movie made in English by ZhangYimou, China’s master of the big spectacle. Costing some $150 million it is possibly the biggest-budget Chinese film of all time. It is certainly the biggest Hollywood-Chinese co-production to data and is Matt Damon’s first Asian movie.

Additionally, it is the first picture to emerge from Legendary East, the Chinese wing of Thomas Tull’s – now Wanda-owned — Legendary Entertainment production powerhouse.

All that is another way of saying there is a lot at stake. And it is why the movie’s upcoming release in China is being delivered to market with an unprecedented marketing and promotional campaign.

“It is a new kind of film,” says producer Peter Loehr, and CEO of Legendary East. The action-fantasy-adventure movie has major elements of Western blockbuster cinema, yet is 20% in Chinese and is directed by Zhang, whose film credits include epic “Hero” and “House of Flying Daggers. His track record mounting massive live events includes the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic Games, and the recent G20 Summit Conference in Hangzhou.

“This film is absolutely what I’ve spent 25 years of my career building up to,” says Beijing-based Loehr, who was previously a Chinese indie producer and later the China head of talent agency CAA.

Jeff Shell, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, believes that the film can change the course of Chinese movies in international markets as well. “At Universal we are huge believers in a bright future for Chinese Cinema, fueled by the impressive recent growth of the Chinese theatrical marketplace. Our participation in ‘The Great Wall’ is very exciting to us. The combination of a tentpole scale Chinese-themed picture, the vision of the renowned filmmaker Zhang Yimou, the star power of Matt Damon and the enormous cast of talented Chinese actors make it the ideal vehicle to introduce Chinese creative product to the global audience,” Shell told Variety by email.

The film originated with a high concept idea – that the Great Wall of China only needed to be that size if it was built to keep out something far nastier than mere humans – from Legendary founder, Tull.

“It is not that I actually saw it from a plane. Rather when I was a little boy I heard that the only man-made object you could see from space was The Great Wall of China. Whether it is true or not, I could not conceive of the feat of engineering and ingenuity to build it. And I’ve been fascinated with it my whole life,” Tull says.

The film was shot in mid-2015 and Zhang has spent more than a year in post-production. The China release date of Dec. 16 puts it squarely at the height of peak season cinemagoing in the Middle Kingdom. It releases in North America on Feb. 17 next year with outings in international territories between those dates.

The lengthy post-production period gave plenty of time to cut visual material for promotion. Online marketing is much more important to film releases in China than in Western markets where posters and TV ads may dominate. Producers delivered more than 60 pieces of bespoke video for online consumption, in addition to a conventional trailer, a teaser trailer and three music videos. The trailers have played ahead of nearly every significant local and Hollywood film in Chinese theaters since Oct. 1.

Marketing in China shifted up a further gear with a major event called the “Five Armies Press Conference” on Nov. 15. “The film’s marketing is stretched over a series of events, introducing the film’s worlds in pieces, so that people get to know the concept progressively,” says Loehr. The Five Armies event introduced the battle groups, their leaders and the actors who play them as well as the unique weapons required to fight the film’s monsters.

That has been followed by the release of the first and second singles from the soundtrack. This week (Dec. 6) sees a large glitzy press conference in Beijing with the full cast in attendance, followed by a one day junket for domestic Chinese press, and then another for South East Asian press who are being flown in.

Along the way there will be further reveals about the creatures, their interaction with the human characters and the release of the final song. On Friday, the promotional action shifts to Shanghai for an event with more focus on the movie’s animation and proceeds going to the Great Wall Preservation Fund.

Screenings for Chinese press, friends-and-family and opinion leaders begin from Dec. 12. Public screenings begin from 7pm on Dec. 15, the evening before the official release date. Presentations will use an almost unprecedented combination of format including 2D, 3D, IMAX 2D and 3D, China Giant Screen, and 4DX, the Korean technology that sees supplementary content and screen extensions projected on a cinema’s side walls for a 270-degree effect.

The film was conceived and greenlighted even before Wanda acquired Legendary in the deal that was announced in January this year. Its four financier and presenters are Legendary, Universal Pictures, China Film Group and Le Vision Pictures.

The range of resources that Wanda can bring to bear – China’s largest cinema chain, distribution, and two marketing companies — elevate the film’s launch into a national event. China Film and Wanda’s Wuzhou Distribution firm are the distributors of record, while Legendary and Le Vision (part of the Le Eco group) oversee marketing and promotion.

“Where we might have had 8 people in a marketing meeting for ‘Pacific Rim’ or ‘Godzilla’ that expanded to 20 people on ‘Warcraft,’ including people from Wanda, Wanda Cinema Line and (social media giant) Tencent,” says Loehr. “Warcraft had a stellar opening and achieved a lifetime gross of $220 million, making it the third biggest film this year in China, a figure that dwarfed the $47.2 million it achieved in North America.

“For ‘The Great Wall’ we’ve held marketing and strategy meetings every Saturday with up to 60 people in the room from Legendary, Le Vision, CFG, Wanda Cinema, Tencent, China Movie Marketing Group, Mtime, Wanda Malls and Wanda’s real estate development team,” says Loehr. Some 260 of Wanda’s malls are putting on “Wall” events. Mtime, the movie ticketing and marketing firm Wanda acquired this year, is putting on “Dare to Dream” and Zhang Yimou exhibitions in a further 56 malls and CMMG will promote an augmented reality video game.

“If you are doing things that are formulaic, or that audiences feel they’ve seen before, it is going to be a hard sell,” says Tull. “The canvas and some of what Zhang accomplished is jaw-dropping.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hollywood is watching

Hopefully the world will be watching.

As ‘The Great Wall’ Hits Theaters in China, Hollywood Is Watching
    Movie industry sees $150 million picture starring Matt Damon as harbinger for future U.S.-China co-productions

At a cost of around $150 million, “The Great Wall” is the most ambitious co-production between Chinese and Hollywood studios to date and the most expensive film shot exclusively in China. But can it capture a global audience? Photo: Universal Pictures
    By ERICH SCHWARTZEL
    Dec. 15, 2016 5:30 a.m. ET

In mounting the $150 million historical fantasy “The Great Wall,” some of the biggest entertainment companies in the U.S. and China had to overcome multiple barriers, from state censors to filming in Beijing pollution.

As the movie begins its global rollout with a debut in China on Friday, the biggest hurdle awaits: Getting audiences to show up. The picture stars Matt Damon as a European mercenary detained at the wall who joins forces with Chinese soldiers to repel an army of monsters.

“I don’t know if middle America or Europe or markets around the world will embrace this film,” said Peter Loehr, one of the movie’s producers. “Ultimately the audience decides.”

Hollywood is watching, as several production companies are planning similar U.S.-Sino projects and see “The Great Wall” as a harbinger for their prospects.

As an official co-production between U.S. and Chinese companies, “The Great Wall” combined cast and concepts from both countries in what is believed to be the most expensive movie ever shot exclusively in China. It offers a prelude to what the future of large-scale moviemaking—from preproduction to release—might look like between the two countries.

“I need this movie to succeed,” said a producer on one of those coming co-productions. The prospects are mixed.

“The Great Wall” is expected to be a hit in China, but box-office analysts aren’t hopeful about its chances in the U.S., where it debuts Feb. 17.

In that regard, the movie is another example of a new economic reality in Hollywood, where a solid performance in China can compensate for lousy returns stateside. Once a blip on studios’ radar, the Chinese box office grew nearly sixty-fold from 2003 to 2015, when its revenue passed $7 billion, and is expected to become the biggest in the world in 2019.

The movie’s financiers include Comcast Corp.’s Universal Pictures, Legendary Entertainment—now part of China’s Dalian Wanda Group Co.—China Film Group, and Le Vision Pictures.

Because “The Great Wall” is a co-production, its financial backers based in the U.S. will receive a bigger slice of the ticketing revenue generated in China, and aren’t beholden to marketing rules that Chinese authorities use to make sure their country’s releases aren’t overshadowed by foreign movies.

But those sweetened terms come at a cost, beginning with rules that can feel like creative straitjackets and on-set safety requirements that can be looser than in the U.S.

‘How do I look Matt Damon in the face when he’s the only one not wearing a mask?’
    —A producer of ‘The Great Wall,’ referring to Beijing’s infamous pollution.
    Helping get “The Great Wall” over its first hurdle: hiring China’s version of Steven Spielberg to direct. Zhang Yimou’s early films were banned in China, but he has since become his government’s go-to creative ambassador. Mr. Zhang directed the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics, earning him the unofficial title “national master” for his ability to juggle big-budget spectacles and state-backed projects.

“We had a lot of lobbying with some of the censorship board to get them to come around to this, and having a big director certainly helped with that,” said Mr. Loehr, who is also chief executive of Legendary East, the company’s China joint venture.

Filming in China posed inherent problems, like Beijing’s infamous pollution. “How do I look Matt Damon in the face when he’s the only one not wearing a mask?” one producer asked in a meeting.

Clearer skies and more space were found when the crew started filming in Qingdao, a coastal city 400 miles southeast of the capital where Wanda is constructing a sprawling real-estate development known as Wanda Studios Qingdao. Wanda bought Legendary for $3.5 billion in early 2016.

Several Chinese firms are lobbying U.S. studios to move productions to their new sound stages. If the experience of workers on “The Great Wall” is any indication, that migration will feel like a throwback to a more manual, less-regulated moviemaking era.

Costume-armor supervisor Levi Woods had just finished working on “Warcraft,” another Legendary action epic, when he joined “The Great Wall.” The 100 suits needed for “Warcraft” were designed by computer software and 3-D printed, whereas the 500 suits needed on “The Great Wall” were handmade from prototypes created by a sculptor.

Many Western crew members adjusted to a set that didn’t observe some of their longstanding safety practices, such as when Chinese workers applied a sealant that isn’t allowed on sets elsewhere. “I nearly passed out from the fumes that came out of a spray can,” said one crew worker.

Harnesses were routinely ignored when climbing scaffolding, said Guy Micheletti, the movie’s key grip, who supervised lighting and rigging crews. “You had to be a policeman,” he said. A producer said department heads tried to be extra-vigilant on set and pass on best practices.

“The Great Wall” wrapped filming last year, but its challenges didn’t end there. In casting actors that appeal to both markets, it found itself in political hot water.

When the movie’s first trailer was released, several Asian-Americans bemoaned Mr. Damon’s “white savior” narrative in a Chinese story. “Our heroes don’t look like Matt Damon,” said Chinese-American actress Constance Wu.

Mr. Loehr urged critics to see the movie before passing judgment.

A marketing push now under way in China includes tie-ins with Yum Brands Inc.’s Pizza Hut and Ping An Insurance (Group) Co. of China Ltd., and Mr. Damon traveled to Beijing earlier this month, showing off his handwriting with Chinese characters in a press conference.

Does all the work add up to ticket sales? “We’ll see what happens,” said Mr. Loehr.

—Lilian Lin in Beijing contributed to this article.

Write to Erich Schwartzel at erich.schwartzel@wsj.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$67.4M Domestic Debut

$67.4M Debut is respectable considering it's a not a franchise installment but something new, and it's only the Chinese market.

China Box Office: 'The Great Wall' Stands Tall With $67.4M Debut
    8:48 AM PST 12/18/2016 by Patrick Brzeski

Legendary
    'The Great Wall'

Starring Matt Damon and directed by Oscar-nominee Zhang Yimou, the Legendary co-production has notched the fourth-biggest debut of the year in China.

While Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is rocketing into the record books in North America, Legendary Entertainment's period monster epic The Great Wall is standing tallest in China, the world's No. 2 box-office market.

The high-profile co-production, which stars Matt Damon as a mercenary fighting for the Middle Kingdom, debuted to a muscular $67.4 million from Friday to Sunday in the country, according to early estimates from local box-office tracker Ent Group (the total can be expected to nudge up slightly come morning, Beijing time).

Directed by Oscar-nominated Chinese helmer Zhang Yimou, the movie is the biggest China-Hollywood co-production ever, with an estimated budget of $150 million. The high-concept, high-stakes project was financed by Legendary, Universal, China Film Group and Le Vision Pictures.

The Great Wall's debut is the fourth-biggest opening weekend in China this year, behind local all-time box-office champ The Mermaid, Marvel's Captain America: Civil War ($96 million) and Legendary's own Warcraft. (Rogue One doesn't open in China until Jan. 6.) The three-day estimate includes $7 million from 364 Imax screens, making The Great Wall the second-highest December Imax opening ever.

Direct comparisons with Warcraft, directed by Duncan Jones, are somewhat difficult, however, due to the unique window in which that film opened. Warcraft bowed to $46 million on a Wednesday, and then earned $65 million in its first Friday-to-Sunday window later that week. If you consider the full Wednesday-to-Sunday stretch Warcraft's opening weekend — as Legendary did when it announced the total at the time — the movie opened to $156 million. However you parse it, Warcraft came out of the gate somewhat bigger than The Great Wall.

The Great Wall's central concept is that the ancient cultural artifact of its title was built to defend against monsters rather than warring nomads. Damon plays a British mercenary who joins the Chinese to battle an army of Taotie — monsters from ancient Chinese mythology — who wage an attack every 60 years. The film's large cast includes Willem Dafoe, Pedro Pascal and an array of top Chinese talent, including Hong Kong's Andy Lau and local heartthrobs Lu Han and Lin Gengxin.

The film opens in many international territories over staggered dates in the coming weeks, leading up to a North America release on Feb. 17.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tigers over Great Wall

China Box Office: ‘Tomorrow’ and ‘Tigers’ Climb Over ‘Great Wall’
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

COURTESY OF JET TONE FILMS
    DECEMBER 25, 2016 | 08:37PM PT

In a Chinese box office contest that pitched Wong Kar-wai against Jackie Chan and Zhang Yimou, new releases “See You Tomorrow” and “Railroad Tigers” debuted ahead of holdover “The Great Wall.” But with big name credentials and large numbers of screens for each, these three were the only serious contenders at the top of the Christmas weekend edition of the Chinese chart.

With as many as 80,000 screenings per day, “See You Tomorrow” (previously known in English as The Ferryman”) earned $40 million in three days, according to data from Ent Group. Produced by Wong Kar-wai and backed by Alibaba Pictures Group, the upmarket romantic comedy boasts a starry cast including Tony Chiu-wai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Eason Chan and Angelababy.

The latest attempt by Jackie Chan to ease into a more dramatic role, albeit a nationalistic, Chinese versus oppressive Japanese oppressors, one, “Railroad Tigers” took second place with a three-day gross of $30.3 million. It benefited from some 60,000 screenings per day.

“The Great Wall,” the Zhang Yimou-directed popcorn movie saw its screen count plummet as the two newcomers vied for exhibition space. It managed $26.1 million in its second weekend from just under 50,000 screenings per day. That represents a 61% drop compered with its opening weekend of $66 million (including previews). Its per screen average was superior to “Railroad Tigers.” And after 10 days on release “Great Wall” has climbed to a cumulative total of $120 million.

A long way behind, “Hacksaw Ridge” added $4.28 million in fourth place. That gives it a 16 day cumulative of $41.1 million.

“Moana” took fifth spot with $1.68 million. After a long run of 31 days, it has a cumulative $30.3 million.

Fellow holdover, “The Wasted Times” slipped to sixth. It added $1.18 million in its second weekend for a 10-day total of $15.2 million.

Record-breaking Japanese animation, “Your Name” scored $980,000 in its fourth weekend. That lifted its total to $80.5 million after 24 days.

‘I.T.,” the Pierce Brosnan and Anna Friel-starring crime drama, opened with $550,000 in ninth spot.
    I suppose I should see See You Tomorrow although I'm not a huge Wong Kar-wai fan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blame the media...

...Why not? If it works for the U.S., why not the PRC?
    Or do I have that backwards?

State media rails against film review websites for giving new Chinese movies poor marks
    29 December 2016 14:00 AFP 3 min read

Chinese state media have taken popular online movie review sites to task for giving three new domestic blockbusters failing marks, accusing them of trying to undermine the domestic cinema industry by manipulating ratings.

Foreign films are in high demand at the world’s second-biggest box office, a fact that has long annoyed Beijing, which both covets Hollywood’s global reach and economic power and fears that it is exposing domestic audiences to pernicious “Western” thinking.

The three Chinese blockbusters.

The number of overseas movies given releases each year is strictly limited, and an opinion piece on the smartphone app of the People’s Daily, the official mouthpiece of the Communist Party, said some influential commentators had made “malicious and irresponsible comments that seriously damaged” domestic films.

The piece, published Tuesday, questioned whether two Chinese film review websites — Douban and Maoyan — were manipulating domestic film ratings by giving them exceptionally low scores.

“Five-star” comments were deleted, while domestic films received thousands of “one-star” ratings even before their midnight premieres ended, state broadcaster CCTV alleged separately.

Following the remarks, Maoyan cancelled part of its film ranking function.

Internet users, however, took the opportunity to write some reviews of their own, bombarding state media with snide remarks about the government’s terrible taste in movies and restrictive attitudes towards free speech.

“You won’t even let us say a movie is terrible,” one commenter said.

Douban’s CEO, too, objected to the characterisation of the site, saying the reviews accurately effect audience opinion.

In response, the People’s Daily seemed to walk back its remarks Wednesday, saying the real reason for the bad ratings might simply be bad movies.

“Can films really be ruined by ‘one-star’ scores? Can the ecological environment of films really be affected by ‘negative comments’?” it asked.

The second article, not the first, reflects the official line, the paper added.

China’s annual box office reached 44.1 billion yuan ($6.34 billion) in 2015, with domestic films securing 61.9 percent of sales, according to China Movie Data Information Network.

In December, three domestic films battled for the country’s box office: “The Great Wall” directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Matt Damon, “Railroad Tigers” starring Jackie Chan, and “See You Tomorrow” produced by Wong Kar-wai.

File photo: Apple Daily.

Ticket sales have been brisk, but audiences panned their poor acting and thin stories.

One common complaint is Chinese censors’ heavy-handed management of the creative process from script to theatre.

In November, the country passed legislation saying films should promote “socialist core values”, while avoiding the kind of themes — sex, violence and politics — that are a large part of Hollywood’s appeal.

Chinese companies have been ramping up investment in the foreign movie industry, but they often have to walk a thin line between balancing strict censorship at home and appealing to global audiences.

In January, Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group signed a $3.5 billion deal to buy Hollywood studio Legendary Entertainment, the company behind the “Batman” trilogy and “Jurassic World”, as well as “The Great Wall”.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips