Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 shot dead in Conneticut school

27 shot dead in Conneticut school

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20.../20431771.html

NEWTOWN, CONN. - At least 27 people, including 18 children, were killed on Friday when at least one shooter opened fire at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, CBS News reported, citing unnamed officials.

If confirmed, it would be one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history. It comes after a series of shooting rampages in the United States this year that have killed multiple victims.

The principal and school psychologist were among the dead, CNN said.

The shooter, an adult, was dead and two handguns were recovered from the scene, NBC News reported without citing a source.

There were unconfirmed reports of a second shooter after witnesses reported hearing dozens of shots, CBS reported.

Sandy Hook Elementary School teaches children from kindergarten through fourth grade - roughly ages 5 to 10.

“It was horrendous,” said parent Brenda Lebinski, who rushed to the school where her daughter is in the third grade. “Everyone was in hysterics - parents, students. There were kids coming out of the school bloodied. I don’t know if they were shot, but they were bloodied.”

Television images showed police and ambulances at the scene, and parents rushing toward the school. Parents were seen reuniting with their children and taking them home.

“This is going to be bad,” a state official told Reuters, requesting anonymity because the scope of the tragedy remained uncertain.

All Newtown schools were placed in lockdown after the shooting, the Newtown Public School District said.

Lebinski said a mother who was at the school during the shooting told her a “masked man” entered the principal’s office and may have shot the principal. Lebinski, who is friends with the mother who was at the school, said the principal was “severely injured.”

Lebinski’s daughter’s teacher “immediately locked the door to the classroom and put all the kids in the corner of the room.”

Danbury Hospital, about 11 miles (18 km) west of the school, had received three patients from the scene, a hospital spokeswoman told NBC Connecticut. The mayor of Danbury, Mark Boughton, told MSNBC: “They are very serious injuries.”

A girl interviewed by NBC Connecticut described hearing seven loud “booms” as she was in gym class. Other children began crying and teachers moved the students to a nearby office, she said.

“A police officer came in and told us to run outside and so we did,” the unidentified girl said on camera.

One child was carried from Sandy Hook Elementary School by a police officer, and the child appeared to have been wounded, the town’s weekly newspaper, the Newtown Bee, said on its website.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

F@cking A, man.

How do you stop this sh1t?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

AH dude, I don't know...
    I have a 9 year old, it could have been her....
    Why do these things happen?
    WHY do people kill other people, children, like it was nothing more than erasing a mistake off a paper?
    WTF ?

All over the news and facebook

How absolutely horrifying.
    Elementary school massacre: 26 dead, including 18 kids, in Connecticut
    An elementary school student recalls the terrifying moments following sounds of shots fired at her Connecticut elementary school, saying "teachers told us to go in the corner so we all huddled."
    By Miguel Llanos and Tracy Connor, NBC News

Updated at 1:30 p.m. ET: A young man clad in black and carrying two handguns shot up an elementary school in a small Connecticut town on Friday, leaving 18 small children and eight adults dead in one the nation’s worst school massacres, law enforcement officials said.

The gunman, described as a 20-year-old man from Connecticut, was later found dead, a federal law enforcement official told NBC News. A second person was in custody for a possible connection to the shooting, NBC’s Pete Williams reported.

Students – mostly under age 10 -- described the terror that gripped Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown when the rampage began around 9:30 a.m., sparking a massive police response that included SWAT officers going room to room to search for victims.

The Hartford Courant, citing unnamed sources, said many of the victims were in a kindergarten classroom.

"I was in the gym and I heard a loud, like seven loud booms, and the gym teachers told us to go in the corner, so we all huddled," one student told NBC Connecticut. "And I kept hearing these booming noises. And we all … started crying.

"All the gym teachers told us to go into the office where no one could find us," she added. "So then a police officer came in and told us to run outside. So we did and we came in the firehouse and waited for our parents."

Dozens of emergency vehicles from across Fairfield County raced to the 600-student school, along with panicked parents hoping to be reunited with their children.

“It was horrendous,'' Brenda Lebinski, mother of a third-grader, said at the scene.``Everyone was in hysterics -- parents, students. There were kids coming out of the school bloodied. I don't know if they were shot, but they were bloodied,'' she said, according to Reuters.

Children are led from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday after a reported shooting there.

One parent picking up his young son said the shooting was “the most terrifying moment a parent can imagine.” He described the anguish of waiting to find out if his son was a victim and then running to his child.

“It was the greatest relief in my existence,” the father said. “I’m just happy that my kid’s OK.”

Bracing for a large influx of wounded, Danbury Hospital went on lockdown and cleared four trauma rooms. It received only three patients, including a teacher shot in the foot, the Associated Press reported.

The motive for the shooting was unknown, and the gunman’s name was not released.

Two 9mm handguns were recovered from the scene, an official told WNBC's Jonathan Dienst. The Associated Press said one of the guns was a.223-caliber rifle.

The FBI was on the scene, assisting with the investigation.

President Obama was told of the shooting at 10:30 a.m.

"I think it's important on a day like today to view this as I know the president, as a father does, and I as a father and others who are parents certainly do, which is to feel enormous sympathy for families that are affected,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said.

BreakingNews.com's coverage of the incident
    Swarming police response in mall shooting highlights 'paradigm shift'

The death toll is the highest from a school shooting in U.S. history since a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007. At Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, two teens killed 13 people and wounded 24 in 1999.

Parent Stephen Delgiadice, whose 8-year-old daughter was not hurt, said he never could have imagined such carnage in the small bedroom community – where the police force has only three detectives.

"It's alarming, especially in Newtown, Connecticut, which we always thought was the safest place in America," he told The Associated Press.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We really to find a way to stop this, no more arguing about guns or whatever, we really need to focus on WHY this happens.

As a CT native, I'd never have seen this coming.

I'm trying to find words to speak about it and nothing comes out.

From the facts so far sounds like there's a custody dispute behind it.

It's just unbelievable. Little Connecticut of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    AH dude, I don't know...
    I have a 9 year old, it could have been her....
    Why do these things happen?
    WHY do people kill other people, children, like it was nothing more than erasing a mistake off a paper?
    WTF ?
    Because some people are simply defective. Sure, we could go into long discussions on nature vs nurture, ethology, neurobiochemistry etc. But at the end of the day, what do you do with that information? We can't test every human on the planet for oxytocin receptor polymorphism. At some point people are going to have to come to the realization that we have to make a choice. Either we decide that we can't control behavior and so we have to take steps to mitigate the damage that behavior can bring or we accept that events like this will happen as a result of our decision not to take those steps.

You say we need to stop arguing about guns, but the problem, is that is the very decision we need to be coming to terms with. Will it stop this from happening? No, these people are defective (whether its genetically, environmentally, whatever) and that will always be a component of society. But you know, its a lot more difficult to go slashing up 26 people than it is to shoot. We need to decide if that is enough means to mitigate the damage these people inflict on society. Because its pretty obvious what we are (not) doing at the moment isn't working.

There was a kindergarten attack in a village in Henan China yesterday. There they just have knives. Maybe this guy saw that in the news and it set him off.

So this guy's mom worked at the school? Depressed guy flips and wants to punish the whole town. From the name that's been in the news and looking at his twitter it looks pretty ominous. No way to have guessed where it was going, of course.

...and people don't believe in original sin
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    There was a kindergarten attack in a village in Henan China yesterday. There they just have knives. Maybe this guy saw that in the news and it set him off.

So this guy's mom worked at the school? Depressed guy flips and wants to punish the whole town. From the name that's been in the news and looking at his twitter it looks pretty ominous. No way to have guessed where it was going, of course.
    So what? Knives, guns, screwdrivers. They're all tools in some hands and weapons in another. Difference is, one of those is significantly more effective in the weapon department. Like I said, you'll never eliminate harmful behavior. You can only hope to mitigate its effects. It doesn't matter what the trigger was that set him off. That's not the cause. The cause is the human brain, and that's not something we have the capability to change.

I do think it's important to try to understand the trigger and cause to try to maybe prevent this from happening. And less effective weapons will mean less harm if it does happen.

What this guy has in common with the Henan guy is that they attack people much weaker than themselves. Children. And they group punish a whole town. They want to feel powerful and they want all they people they think humilated them to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Because some people are simply defective. Sure, we could go into long discussions on nature vs nurture, ethology, neurobiochemistry etc. But at the end of the day, what do you do with that information? We can't test every human on the planet for oxytocin receptor polymorphism. At some point people are going to have to come to the realization that we have to make a choice. Either we decide that we can't control behavior and so we have to take steps to mitigate the damage that behavior can bring or we accept that events like this will happen as a result of our decision not to take those steps.

You say we need to stop arguing about guns, but the problem, is that is the very decision we need to be coming to terms with. Will it stop this from happening? No, these people are defective (whether its genetically, environmentally, whatever) and that will always be a component of society. But you know, its a lot more difficult to go slashing up 26 people than it is to shoot. We need to decide if that is enough means to mitigate the damage these people inflict on society. Because its pretty obvious what we are (not) doing at the moment isn't working.

Its not about controlling behavior or guns ( you can't control both), its about understanding what drives people and how we can better condition them/us so that life has far too much value than to think that taking it is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its not about controlling behavior or guns ( you can't control both), its about understanding what drives people and how we can better condition them/us so that life has far too much value than to think that taking it is an option.
    this happens when gun is allowed in a non martial culture.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this happens when gun is allowed in a non martial culture.
    You know, that's not the first time I've heard that.