Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 shot dead in Conneticut school

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Even tho might b oversimplified the issues, his points about cause are very valid. A society where everyone wants to live better than the next guy is not healthy.
    this is the foundation for your entire civilization. america is about uncontrolled growth and exploitation.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    There's far too many guns to ban in the US. It won't work. The only control mechanism we could hope to enact would be at the source and likely with ammunition. Ban it from ever even entering the civilian sector (not possession, just production and distribution); only available to military and law enforcement. People can keep their guns, when bullets start running out in 20-30 years they're all useless for criminals and honest folk alike. Sure some people will make their own. But in a couple generations that skill will likely die out. That's how culture is changed. Not by educating masses to change opinions. But by instilling norms that those who object eventually get old and die off. That's the way it is with any shift be it religious, scientific, you name it.
    Interesting. I disagree about education. But I don't think it's the end all answer either. I think a balance between law and education is the only route.

I do agree that ammunition is a bigger problem than the guns themselves.

Like you said, and I said before, this isn't gonna have an overnight fix. This is going to take a few generations to solve. Some are too lost. We should focus on weeding their ideas out and letting those ideas die off with those people. Not easy, but then no solution will be easy. A gun ban is what I consider one of those "too easy" solutions. In these days, you don't need a gun to kill many in a short time. You have options all over the place.

By the way, Bawang, Greek fire was a WMD in it's day. So no, you didnt need skill to kill many. Just opportunity and the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is the foundation for your entire civilization. america is about uncontrolled growth and exploitation.
    Great. So we agree then.

And it is YOUR civ too. You are hardly a rural mainland Chinaman! Even if you are from the asshole of the east coast!

Jokes, my friend.

Great. So we agree then.

And it is YOUR civ too. You are hardly a rural mainland Chinaman! Even if you are from the asshole of the east coast!

Jokes, my friend.
    im here to exploit and squeeze the last drop of life from this land before i go back to china with a yacht and 4 wives. (srs)

the diffrence in my point is you say america needs to change, i say america cant change, or face collapse.

the future of america is the transition from republic to empire. that begins with gun control.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-14-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

im here to exploit and squeeze the last drop of life from this land before i go back to china with a yacht and 4 wives.
    Won't be long till China is the better economic opportunity. You should go back. I don't mean that in a racist way, just that you should go home and help build a better China. I understand why so many have left, but you are in a position to do good works back home.

Sure they can change. Just not overnight. Same with China or anywhere else.

ancient chinese treated firearms as divine weapons. they were kept secret and used as last resort.
    Yeah lots of mysticism in those days, but eventually it was abused power used for war and crime.

Perception IS truth inside a population.

In America the fact that guns are NOT illegal sends completely the wrong message.

In the rest of the civilised world guns are criminal not just on our street but in our minds. That changes a lot.

Look at Cigarettes!!! We stopped people smoking inside in England and now pretty much no-one smokes anymore. It literally cut it down overnight. We didn't have to make it illegal, we made it dirty inside the publics perception.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Perception IS truth inside a population.

In America the fact that guns are NOT illegal sends completely the wrong message.

In the rest of the world guns are criminal not just on our street but in our minds. That changes a lot.

Look at Cigarettes!!! We stopped people smoking inside in England and now pretty much no-one smokes anymore. It literally cut it down overnight. We didn't have to make it illegal, we made it dirty inside the publics perception.
    So wait? You wanna make guns dirty or illegal?

Won't be long till China is the better economic opportunity. You should go back. I don't mean that in a racist way, just that you should go home and help build a better China. I understand why so many have left, but you are in a position to do good works back home.

Sure they can change. Just not overnight. Same with China or anywhere else.
    China probably has a better economy than us, outsourcing and the like.

To follow up on rett's post

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    There was a kindergarten attack in a village in Henan China yesterday.
    China stabbing spree hurts 22 schoolchildren
    Knife-wielding man also attacked elderly woman in central Henan province
    The Associated Press
    Posted: Dec 14, 2012 4:38 AM ET
    Last Updated: Dec 14, 2012 1:25 PM ET

A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes Friday, police said, the latest in a series of periodic rampage attacks at Chinese schools and kindergartens.

The attack in the Henan province village of Chengping happened shortly before 8 a.m., said a police officer from Guangshan county, where the village is located.
    henan, china

The attacker, 36-year-old villager Min Yingjun, is now in police custody, said the officer, who declined to give her name, as is customary among Chinese civil servants.

A Guangshan county hospital administrator said the man first attacked an elderly woman, then students, before being subdued by security guards who have been posted across China following a spate of school attacks in recent years. He said there were no deaths among the nine students admitted, although two badly injured children had been transferred to better-equipped hospitals outside the county.

A doctor at Guangshan's hospital of traditional Chinese medicine said that seven students had been admitted, but that none were seriously injured.

Neither the hospital administrator nor the doctor would give his name.
    Children likely between 6-11 years old

It was not clear how old the injured children were, but Chinese primary school pupils are generally 6-11 years old.

A notice posted on the Guangshan county government's website confirmed the number of injured and said an emergency response team had been set up to investigate the attacks.

No motive was given for the stabbings, which echo a string of similar assaults against schoolchildren in 2010 that killed nearly 20 and wounded more than 50. The most recent such attack took place in August, when a knife-wielding man broke into a middle school in the southern city of Nanchang and stabbed two students before fleeing.

Most of the attackers have been mentally disturbed men involved in personal disputes or unable to adjust to the rapid pace of social change in China, underscoring grave weaknesses in the antiquated Chinese medical system's ability to diagnose and treat psychiatric illness.

In one of the worst incidents, a man described as an unemployed, middle-aged doctor killed eight children with a knife in March 2010 to vent his anger over a thwarted romantic relationship.
    There is a significant difference here - the number of fatalities.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    China probably has a better economy than us, outsourcing and the like.
    Many American and Canadian companies are bringing manufacturing back to the continent to save on costs and help availability. Like Apple is bring some assembly back to the US already in order to keep up with demand.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There is a significant difference here - the number of fatalities.
    No doubt. But it doesn't address the reason for the assaults in the first place. If we keep using bandaids, we will just end up with a massive infected wound of a society. Arguably, we already do. This is from quick fixes and an absolute refusal to readdress certain aspects of the American constitution. Not just with crime, but in general.

So wait? You wanna make guns dirty or illegal?
    The analogy applies just fine.

I want to make them criminal and evil within the human perception. That is more powerful than making them dirty or illegal.

But, illegal would be a good start.

Indeed Syn - the reason is surely madness

But I just want to point out that the difference is significant. I see a lot of people on facebook citing the China Knifing spree as an argument for the right to bear arms. That is an illiterate argument - clearly those gun supporters didn't read the article complete. It actually hurts the argument for the right to bear arms more than it supports it.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No doubt. But it doesn't address the reason for the assaults in the first place. If we keep using bandaids, we will just end up with a massive infected wound of a society. Arguably, we already do. This is from quick fixes and an absolute refusal to readdress certain aspects of the American constitution. Not just with crime, but in general.
    It makes sense. For some reason people don't see that a document written a few hundred years ago shouldn't need gone over or provided some maintenance. Also good to see we're making our own jobs.