Thread: Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Woah...

Pacific Rim - Official Wondercon Trailer #2 (HD) Guillermo Del Toro

Did I see a sword fight? There - at 1:52! I'm totally calling dibs on reporting on this for KFM (assuming we're invited to a screener).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Jax's from Sons of anarchy is the main character. Looking forward to this.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Saw the screener.

It wasn't a sword fight. It was a jo staff fight.

Official KFM review forthcoming this Friday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

my review

ok saw a screening last night that was attended by some of the cast ill be brief and pretty much spoiler free.

sorry to beat you too it gene but im sure yours will be more thought out and comprehensive.

ok so ill start with what i didnt like.

the film suffered from both too much and a lack of exposition. or rather the exposition was misplaced. things that didnt really need explaining were over explained and things that really needed to be fleshed out were breezed over.

the first ten minutes and the voice over were pointless. should have just started at the first kaiju/jhaeger battle.

the dialogue could have been beefed up a bit.

ok what i did like

the action. was amazing...

the mythology was fantastic

idris elba... this dude just crushed anyone who had the misfortune of being in a scene with him.

the cast in general.. all fantastic character actors

the 3d. on par with avatar...sit at the back of the theater to get the full effect.

the film is a solid 7.5

ill wait till after genes review to post something more in depth.

No need to apologize, doug. I'll let you have that one.

I agree with your comments for the most part.

Who was at the screening you were at?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy Friday!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the japanese actress And the dad from the aussy team, forgot his name but he is from the unit.

im calling this movie the best big summer movie.

Before the movie a girl described Pacific Rim to me as "Power Rangers on steroids."

After seeing the film I thought that was pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Before the movie a girl described Pacific Rim to me as "Power Rangers on steroids."

After seeing the film I thought that was pretty accurate.
    im trying to see the flaw in that statement.

Everything Old Is New Again

Greetings,

The following came out in the mid 1970's. The unique feature was in having a person inside the robot. this was a start departure from Gigantor (robot controlled from afar) or Ultra Man robotic being summoned by child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bB28mphrMM

Here is a collection of toy robots from the early 1970's. Known as Ding A Lings. Check out the King Ding A Ling at a little past 2:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueS_4HlMi8

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-14-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Weak opening

But at least we got this out of Idris. Idris was great in PR. He stole the show.
    Pacific Rim star Idris Elba: I want to do a kung fu film
    Monday 15 Jul 2013 4:44 pm

Idris Elba: I want to do a kung fu filmIdris Elba wants to star in a kung fu film (Picture: Xposurephotos.com)

Pacific Rim actor Idris Elba has revealed he wants to star in a kung fu film.

The actor told Time Out that he was keen to play lots of different roles in his career.

He said: ‘I’ve got the philosophy that I want to do everything at least once.

‘I haven’t had the opportunity to do a kung fu film yet, but trust me, I will get one at some point.’

He added: ‘What’s the point in being an actor if you play the same role over and over again?

‘I’m not a clown who puts on a face and does the same routine every night, I’m supposed to try and depict every single person I can.’

Elba also spoke about the huge publicity drive for his new sci-fi blockbuster Pacific Rim, which pits giants robots against giant aliens.

‘When you’re in a movie like this the gear-up for the release is completely different to what I’m used to.’

The actor also DJs under the name Driis and said he doesn’t want to be seen as just an actor.

He said: ‘I have many different strings to my bow and I want to f***around with them all. I don’t want to just be an actor, I want to do other things.’
    Weekend Report: 'Pacific Rim' Loses to Family Sequels
    by Ray Subers
    July 14, 2013

Gauging by Internet hype, Pacific Rim was easily the most-anticipated movie opening this weekend. General audiences weren't quite as enthusiastic, though, and the monsters vs. robots action movie wound up behind Adam Sandler's Grown Ups 2 and animated hit Despicable Me 2.

Overall, the Top 12 earned $187.9 million, which is up 22 percent year-over-year.

In first place, Despicable Me 2 fell 47 percent to $43.9 million this weekend. That's generally in line with last month's Monsters University, though the drop is a bit steeper than that of the first Despicable Me (42 percent). Through 12 days, Despicable Me 2 has earned $228.4 million, and will pass the first movie's $251.5 million total by Friday. Based on its current trajectory, it should wind up being the Summer's second-highest-grossing movie with around $350 million.

In second place, comedy sequel Grown Ups 2 opened to $41.5 million from 3,491 locations. That's slightly better than the first Grown Ups, which took in $40.5 million over its first weekend in 2010. It's also the fourth-highest live-action debut in star Adam Sandler's 20-year career (first place belongs to The Longest Yard with $47.6 million).

After poor performances from Jack and Jill ($74.1 million) and That's My Boy ($36.9 million), many speculated that audiences were tiring of Adam Sandler's shtick. That may be the case, though Grown Ups 2's opening suggests that audiences were simply rejecting off-brand, misguided efforts from Sandler, not Sandler himself. The marketing didn't rest on Sandler alone, though: it made clear that most of the gang was coming back from the original, and had a few stand-out gags as well (the deer pee and cliff jump scenes may be crude, but they're also very memorable). Exit polling indicated that the audience was 53 percent female and 54 percent under the age of 25, which suggests that this was a draw among family audiences.

While Grown Ups 2 opened higher than the first movie, it's unlikely to match that movie's $162 million total. It received a poor "B" CinemaScore—in line with Jack and Jill—and isn't going to get the holiday boost that the first Grown Ups had over the Fourth of July weekend. Still, Grown Ups 2 is well-positioned for a final gross of at least $120 million.

Playing at 3,275 theaters, Pacific Rim debuted to $37.3 million this weekend. That's the highest opening ever for director Guillermo Del Toro ahead of Hellboy II: The Golden Army, which took in $34.5 million on the same weekend in 2008. Still, it's not a particularly strong start: among recent non-sequel sci-fi, it's about on par with Oblivion ($37 million), and way off from World War Z ($66.4 million).

The movie performed particularly well in IMAX, which accounted for $7.9 million (19 percent) of the opening. Its 50 percent 3D share was the highest so far this Summer, though that's mainly a statement on how weak 3D has been at the domestic box office lately.

Going in to the weekend, some tracking suggested Pacific Rim was in for a truly terrible start (below $30 million). While it wound up opening noticeably better than that, its $38.3 million debut is still a little disappointing. Because director Guillermo Del Toro isn't a mainstream selling point, and because the movie was entirely free of true movie stars, Warner Bros. marketing made the primary selling point the monsters vs. robots action. While that proved very appealing to a niche "fan boy" audience, the movie remained inaccessible to general moviegoers. Without their support, there's only so high a movie can go on opening weekend.

As expected, the audience skewed younger (67 percent under the age of 35) and male (61 percent). It received a good "A-" CinemaScore; combine that with decent reviews, and it's likely that Pacific Rim has solid holds over the next few weeks. Still, it's unlikely that the movie winds up much higher than $110 million, which means that its ultimate success will be almost entirely dependent on international performance.

In its third weekend, The Heat fell 44 percent to $14 million. To date, the Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy movie has earned $112.4 million, and is on pace to be the highest-grossing comedy of the Summer with over $150 million.

After a disappointing start over the Fourth of July weekend, The Lone Ranger plummeted 61 percent to $11.5 million. In comparison, Johnny Depp's Public Enemies—also a poorly-received Independence Day opener—only dipped 45 percent at the same point. The mega-budget Western has now earned $71.5 million, and will likely fall just short of reaching $100 million total.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

its going to be bigger overseas then the states.. which is weird cause this movie should be doing tranformers money.

Both Doug and I called this

Pacific Rim towers over competition in China
    By Kevin Ma
    Tue, 06 August 2013, 09:15 AM (HKT)

Pacific Rim continued to dominate the box office in China at the weekend, following its RMB52.3 million opening day on Wednesday.

The 3-D sci-fi film made RMB179.1 million (US$29.2 million) between Friday and Sunday. It has taken RMB279.6 million (US$45.6 million) after five days on release. Two years ago, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) made RMB188.2 million in its first four days on release. Pacific Rim now holds the record for Warner Brothers' biggest opening weekend in China.

Rim's opening impacted the second weekend of Furious 6. Justin LIN 林詣彬's action film took a steep dive to RMB57.5 million (US$9.39 million) over the three day weekend. Due to a strong performance during the week, Furious has made RMB338.6 million (US$55.2 million) after 10 days on release. Furious accounted for 24% of screenings nationwide over the weekend, compared to approximately 36% for Rim.

Despite three Hollywood films — including White House Down — taking up 67% of screenings nationwide, local fares remained relatively strong.

Children's film I Love Wolffy 2 我愛灰太狼2 – the spin-off of animated series Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf — was third-placed behind Pacific Rim and Furious 6, making RMB42.4 million (US$6.92 million) in its first four days on release. In 2012, the original I Love Wolffy 我愛灰太狼 made RMB38.1 million in its first three days of release. It opened opposite The Silent War 聽風者 and Lockout.

Despite having only 7% of screenings on its opening day, youth drama Young Style 青春派 made RMB15.9 million (US$2.59 million) in its first three days, surpassing White House Down's third weekend. It is already LIU Jie 劉傑's highest grossing film as director.

Hollywood looks certain to dominate Chinese cinemas until three domestic films open on Thursday: GUO Jingming 郭敬明's Tiny Times 2.0 小時代 青木時代, GAO Qunshu 高群書's Crimes of Passion 一場風花雪月的事 and CHU Chia-lin 朱家麟's Saving Mother Robot 瑪德2號. Two additional domestic films will open this weekend, for Chinese Valentine's Day: Eva JIN 金依萌's One Night Surprise 一夜驚喜 (9 Aug) and period drama The Palace 宮 鎖沈香 (13 Aug).
    The translation 'pleasant goat' still amuses me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The take-home message here is....

...its all about China for films now.
    'Pacific Rim' Hits $100M in China, Passing 'Avengers' and 'Kung Fu Panda 2'
    Guillermo del Toro's giant robots epic is up to $286M at the foreign box office
    Published: August 18, 2013 @ 5:11 pm
    By Todd Cunningham

"Pacific Rim" raised its overall total in China to more than $100 million after staying in the No. 1 box office spot with a $14 million third weekend.

Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.' "Pacific Rim” brought in roughly $20 million from 58 territories in all this weekend. Its international total is $286 million and it is at nearly $385 million worldwide.

Director Guillermo del Toro's giant robots epic is the second movie to cross the $100 million mark in China this year. Disney's "Iron Man 3” has amassed more than $120 million there since opening in June.

Already the highest grossing Warner Bros. movie in China, "Pacific Rim" moved up the list of all-time highest-grossing U.S. films there, passing "The Avengers” ($84 million) and "Kung Fu Panda 2” ($92 million). The leader is "Transformers 3,” which made $172 million there in 2011.

"Pacific Rim” hasn't been able to match the success it's had in China in Japan. After two weeks there, it has taken in just over $9 million.

After China, the biggest foreign markets for "Pacific Rim” have been Russia with $20.5 million, South Korea with $18 million and Mexico with $15.8 million.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips