Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    If you built it, they will come!!!
    Sometimes when you build it, they don't come.

Or, it takes them several years to come.

For me, personally, I just usually have to think of that one girl I knew in college.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sometimes when you build it, they don't come.

Or, it takes them several years to come.

For me, personally, I just usually have to think of that one girl I knew in college.
    Fishnets work for me.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There is a good reason why 98% of MA spots hemorrhage money.

Blog Entries
    I had used Sun Tzu's "the art of war" number 34, "苦肉计(Ku Rou Ji) - Self-injury scheme" to approach to my teacher. My teacher was a person who just didn't teach anybody who came to him. I knew his head lock and leg twist was his "door guarding" skill. I hanged myself on tree till my arm was all bleeding. I went to him and said, "I heard that you did tree hanging when you was young. I tried to do it but no matter how hard that I have tried, I still don't feel right." He looked at my arm and believed that I was not a guy who quits TCMA training easily. He took me in.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

when the ho is ready, the pimp will appear.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I had used Sun Tzu's "the art of war" number 34, "苦肉计(Ku Rou Ji) - Self-injury scheme" to approach to my teacher. My teacher was a person who just didn't teach anybody who came to him. I knew his head lock and leg twist was his "door guarding" skill. I hanged myself on tree till my arm was all bleeding. I went to him and said, "I heard that you did tree hanging when you was young. I tried to do it but no matter how hard that I have tried, I still don't feel right." He looked at my arm and believed that I was not a guy who quits TCMA training easily. He took me in.
    Some arts require high IQ, some require low IQ.

No art requires a low IQ. A person with a higher IQ will advance beyond his dull counterpart, provided their physical state is roughly similar.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood
    That's what the mysterious and all-knowing Chinese masters want us barbarians to believe.

Rocket science, medicine, theoretical physics....now those things require high IQ. Martial arts, no.
    Last edited by pazman; 12-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Andy Warhol was officially retarded. Not joking.

Well, not retarded. But apparently had a low IQ.
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Yes and no.

During the learning process, one needs a certain degree of intelligence to understand and absorb the basic concepts. But in application, over-intellectualizing what's happening will mentally tie you up. Then it doesn't matter what someone's IQ is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes and no.

During the learning process, one needs a certain degree of intelligence to understand and absorb the basic concepts. But in application, over-intellectualizing what's happening will mentally tie you up. Then it doesn't matter what someone's IQ is.
    Depends on the style.

Blog Entries
    Depends on the style.
    You are a person with few words.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-23-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    No art requires a low IQ. A person with a higher IQ will advance beyond his dull counterpart, provided their physical state is roughly similar.
    people with high IQ have high imagination, easier to disconnect with reality, easier to deceive and milk.

people such as robinhood. if his wing chun sifu spread sand on the ground and told him it was grain, he would bend over and peck.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

A person with a low IQ can pretty much learn any martial art. They may not be able to take it to another level on their own, but with good direction, they can do just fine. And I doubt there are many people here who have learned a great art and made it twice as good as it was before they learned it. Adapting it to yourself, making it yours is not making it better in general even if it is better for you. Understand the difference? I don't think IQ will make much difference at all until you get to the low or high ends. And both can be a bad thing or a good thing depending on the who and the what. Being overly intelligent isn't automatically a plus in MA's. It can hold you back just as much as not understanding. While lacking the ability or drive to overthink what you are taught can be a gift.

I think many people misunderstand the significance of IQ and what it does and does not mean.

There's a whole lot of great fighters that aren't rocket scientists; and a lot of smart guys who can't fight. In the end it comes down to training, conditioning and familiarity with the environment of fighting.

If your not drilling your techs into the ground they won't be there for you, no matter who advanced your concepts and theories are. If your not conditioning your body and your weapons, they won't stand before someone who does. If your not consistently in the high pressure environment of being attacked, you won't be able to handle it when you find yourself there.

A person of a low IQ doesn't question it, he just accepts it and does the necessary training. A person of a high IQ, after much thought and discerning, should be able to realize this, accept it and do the necessary training.