Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
So when you say that in the shaolin class you broke a good sweat and got a good work out, but there was no real application work, do you mean that the entire class was composed of form work, or was there some good solid conditioning and drills taking place? Have you asked the current students if there are application days where that is the focus? a lot of times you may not get the full spectrum in one day.

I am skeptical of a martial arts class where you do not break a sweat in a 3 hour class. Perhaps that was a special occasion day? I also am skeptical of a class that does not begin a new student of martial arts by building a foundation through introductory beginner basics. These are required building blocks that one needs to be able to progress at a consistant solid rate of understanding.

all in all, as a beginner, i don't believe in many cases you will get a full picture in just one class. if you have some experience and know what you are looking for this is definately possible, but if you have absolutely zero experience, you may want to visit two or three more times to get a more rounded idea of the actual exposure you would get there.
I have absolutely zero/0 experience; so even terminology I have no idea what i'm talking about at this point. But in the perfect world of idiocracy, the Shaolin class was form/conditioning drills (back and forth doing slap kicks of some sorts, what to me seemed like punches, but the Sifu was looking at form) as well as a ton of stretches; then I was taken alone to be taught 8 stances. One of the students mentioned more application was taught in the advanced class, which you needed to take a test for after 6-8 months.

This 3 hour class was an intense class, as stated on the schedule. In respect, a lot of the older guys in the class were sweating. They took a 5 minute break every 30 minutes. They did the 8 stances as well as conditioning, but pretty slowly. A lot of stretching took place, in fact about an hour+ was stretches. I was pulled aside and shown the 8 stances (right side) by another student in conjunction with each other; however seemed a little rushed as he wanted to go practice with a weapon.