Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Has anyone ever actually had this experience? If so, please share your stories.

I actually had a guy who is now teaching me basic boxing show up at my door and ring my doorbell. He has also done Southern Shaolin, trained in Beijing and other interesting stuff.

I don't know if I'd "become ready," but he did just appear. I live a bit far from everything and have a long trip into the city to train with a group once a week. Having someone just arrive out of nowhere to be able to do applications with and stuff was pretty amazing.

It turns out he and his wife were in the process of moving to our town and were short-term renting a house in my neighbourhood. The neighbours found out about his Kung Fu interest and pointed him toward me.
    Last edited by rett; 12-15-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Yes.
    This is how I started.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    My senior SC brother David C. K. Lin defeated a 3rd degree black belt Judo instructor in Taiwan. He was 17 with only 1 year of SC training from his senior SC brothers. After someone told my teacher, my teacher said, "Do I have a student like him? Bring him to me." David then spent 15 more years studying directly under him and became his best student.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-15-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I was Goju Ryu BB and had no intertest in TMCA only JMA. I was talked into attending a seminar with shyun Kwan Long, I was used as an elample on how to use mantis to beat other styles as I was one of the only people wearing a japanese Gi.

He threw me around from one end of the school to the other with such efforltess energy and totally beat my defenses and countered my attacks so well I bowed afterwards and asked him to teach me what I did not know ..he said no he was too busy but to call him next year............. this went on for 5 years before he execepted me and then adobted me into his lineage. So do I beleive when I was read he came? ABSOLUTLY.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 12-18-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

sure, in the sense that wherever you are "at", the person who has what you need to know at a given moment will be that teacher; this really could be for any given moment in your life, of course - you just need to be open and receptive, ready to learn from anyone; they can even teach you without knowing they did...

in my personal experience, when I met my taiji teacher 17 years ago, I was definitely ready, and the circumstances were such that I became very close to him very quickly, and stayed that way for most of my time with him; in the last several years, we grew apart in a natural way, and recently we concluded out association; this notion is more commonly known by the concept of "medicine becomes poison" - meaning that, what he had to offer was appropriate for me at a given point in my development, and nurtured me greatly; after a certain point, as things evolved naturally and I became more my own person, it was no longer the right fit, I began disagreeing with too much of what he said, and had I stayed, it would not have been being true to who I was nor respectful to him;

so I would also add that, "when the student is ready, the teacher disappears";

Yes. I was 16, she was 32...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Whilst partaking in some mild Hashish near a corn field, a wandering daoist appeared and sent me on a dwarven quest to recover gold.

Last edited by MightyB; 12-18-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: it needed a pic

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Whilst partaking in some mild Hashish near a corn field, a wandering daoist appeared and sent me on a dwarven quest to recover gold.

yet all you found was a midget bison...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    yet all you found was a midget bison...
    but that's only part of the story...

Must be magic!!!!!!!!

The opposite is also true. When the TEACHER is ready, the students will come.

Saw this happen with a friend of mine this year. After years of "Talking" about expanding his small group, one day all the pieces just fell in place and it happened.

This was somewhat my experience with my first gong fu teacher. I had spent roughly two years doing personal research into the various martial arts and finally came to the conclusion I wanted to study Chinese Martial arts. When I finally decided to act I went to the internet and phone book to find all my local cma teachers. I called and called and called to see what the best hours for stopping by were, and no one answered any of my calls. Then by happenstance the topic of martial arts came up in conversation with a random stranger, and they refered me to a number. I called and my teacher answered the phone and set up a time for me to come meet. And the rest, as they say, is history.

So it really depends on how you look at it. By the chance of circumstances in everyones life involved it just so happens that I ended up in the right place. Had any of those other individuals answered, I may have ended up training with them instead. Not inherantly a bad thing, but I was and am still pleased with my foundational introduction and advancement in Chinese martial arts under the teacher that I did end up connecting with.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If you built it, they will come!!!

This is one of those silly convos like how your last relationship, assuming it lasts, will always be the most successful one. Duh!

If you know Kung Fu, if you are good at it, I must assume you were ready and so was your teacher. If you are taken by a fraud, like SD, then clearly you weren't ready. Kind of a silly thing to talk about.

But yes, we all seem to have a decent grasp of the obvious. Yaaaay Team KFM!!!
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.

The force is strong with those who walk the path of TCMA, we know without knowing..