Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Po Pai is it a strike or pushing

Po Pai is it a strike or pushing

how is Po Pai used in fighting, chi sau, drills according you?

Please specify which of the three your speaking of.

Po Pai Video
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Both ...at the same time, crazy talk, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Both ...at the same time, crazy talk, I know.
    good point
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

We can both, recover full striking distances and hit guys into them with shorter range palm strikes ...liver and jaw/eye, together...etc..with chum ging ( inch power ) it is not a pleasant experience.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Po Pai is it a strike or pushing
    Yes ..........
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What did you think of the video?

We can both, recover full striking distances and hit guys into them with shorter range palm strikes ...liver and jaw/eye, together...etc..with chum ging ( inch power ) it is not a pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Seen worse...lots of basic errors.

ah, the Ving Tsun hadouken

Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Push and pull are two different energies. They should choose one and do it fully.

It may be fine if you are pulling slightly to change the opponent's facing before applying po-pai. But pulling them into yourself and then trying to push them back is not only useless, but it increases the resistance to your po-pai since their body weight is coming into you.

Po-pai is best used when you have already affected their facing and balance so there is less resistance and your po-pai will be more powerful. Look at the po-pai section of the dummy set. Each one is preceded by an action to change their facing and affect their balance first.

As for pulling actions, if you're going to pull them past you, do it. Why suddenly change energy and push back into them? At least turn and po-pai from the side, where they are weak. They are strong from the front, especially if that's the direction you're pulling them.

seen worse...lots of basic errors.
    can you post a better video?

It can be a push, a strike, or an indication you can strike with with hand. In training we usually do po pai as a push both for the sake of our partners and because once I've entered past the second gate and can do po pai as a push it means I can do po pai as a strike. Being able to do po pai as a strike means I can hit you with both hands or just one if I choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

can you post a better video?
    I will have a look for one...

counter to a hip throw?

You know I was watching a couple shuaijiao vids from my library the other day, and I noticed a hip throw counter where the guy's hands seem to resemble Po Pai. Daniel Weng and Peter Chema refers to it as "blowing".

The lower hand would be placed behind the opponent's leg around the knee to counter while the upper hand would then push him forward.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by Bernard; 01-17-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: none

Always a strike for me in application, with energy in two different directions (up and in & down and in) using "inch energy". Only used as a push in demos and with training partners to illustrate a point or possibly if the situation requires you to eject someone from your vicinity without actually hurting them. It can be turned into a push by driving through with the legs (for me it ceases to be po pai after the strike and is simply biu ma etc with a contact point) but unless you're being nice for some reason why would you not strike?
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Anyone know the Characters for Po Pai? The name often helps you understand the technique better.

I practiced WC for a time but now I practice northern Kung Fu. WC in recent years has had a lot of evolution outside of China away from its sister styles but it wasn't always this way and sometimes it is useful to look at how similar techniques are applied in other Kung Fu styles.

The standard northern name for this technique is 'ShiZiDaZhangZui' -- Lion opens wide his mouth. Called like this because for one the posture resembles an open mouth. But also in the opening phase the hands move apart while striking, opening. There is also a closing phase.